Pitchfork's Top 500 Tracks of the 2000s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
Thought this could maybe spark a bit of discussion. I just skimmed through the thing and Pitchfork's Top 500 Songs of the 2000s is, in my opinion, shaping up to be a killer list and a pretty damn good representation of the decade in music. I was very pleasantly surprised by a lot of what I saw on there.

Just looking at 500 through 300 I saw tracks by the Strokes, Libertines, Be Your Own Pet, MMJ, Sugababes, Rachel Stevens (easily the biggest surprise), Destiny's Child, Lily Allen, Loretta Lynn, etc. Awesome stuff that I was not expecting to see. A lot of it. And then coming in at #245 was "Biology" by my Girls Aloud. And I have to admit that put a smile on my face.

Anyways, I look forward to seeing how the list finishes up. #200 through 100 came out today. Tomorrow is 100 - 50 and so on. I'm not going to copy and paste the whole list here, though, because it's massive. But what do you think will be #1? Probably an Animal Collective song. Or maybe Unknown Caller. HA!

Pitchfork: Staff Lists: The Top 500 Tracks of the 2000s: 500-201

"Hey Ya," damn it. I'm most curious to see how they treat "Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl." Very curious.

Could be dodgy if it's Pitchfork....:huh:

Hopefully, something by Interpol will crack the top ten. Like a Leif Erikson or something, though I suspect Jack White's sucked enough critical cock to gain a few high placings.

Haven't read the whole list, Live Your Life by TI/Rihanna went pretty high in last year's yearly list so that could get pretty high.

We'll see...

EDIT: Cut Copy's Out There On The Ice and Kylie's Love At First Sight in the top 250! Not that bad after all...MELBOURNE REPRESENT

I really want to see what Killa's highest placement is going to be. "Hey Ma" did reasonably well, but they've gotta be ready to give mad props either to "Down & Out" or "Girls." Possibly even "I.B.S.," which is about as Pitchfork-ready as new age gangsta rap can get.

Reading this list when the decade isn't even over yet makes it a bit surreal. Seems a bit premature to me (not speaking about the songs released between now and December 31 that will be overlooked, but the lack of time taken to digest the songs from, say, this year that made the list), and this list is fully and completely, 100% opinion with cultural significance hardly being taken into account (how could it be? there's no way to tell how these songs will age at this point), so I can't even take the results seriously.

However, I love a couple dozen songs on the list, so I got something out of it.

n/m Mountain Goats - No Children at #128. I take back anything negative I've said about this list or anything Pitchfork has ever been affiliated with. :drool:

Loved to see Fake Palindromes in there and some Sufjan as well. I wonder which Radiohead song will be in the top 10... Or maybe they will go for All My Friends?

If #1 is "All My Friends," you won't hear an argument out of me.

If #1 is "All My Friends," you won't hear an argument out of me.

My college intention is to listen to that before I party and to listen to The National the next day. I don't think you can get a better pre-game/hangover combo than that.

My college intention is to listen to that before I party and to listen to The National the next day. I don't think you can get a better pre-game/hangover combo than that.
All My Friends isn't for pre-gaming. It's for when you come home from a night out, alone, you're drunk, tired, but you want to keep drinking.

Some good tracks, some great tracks, some overrated pieces of shitty indie music, some crappy mainstream music that pitchfork likes for some reason, some songs that actually deserve to be there...usual list from pitchfork then

Yellow making it is only topped by it being higher than Intervention in terms of fail

Not as bad as I first thought. Good to see Moz's First Of The Gang To Die, Mr, Brightside, CloX and Ladyron's Destroy Everything You Touch, but I concur with LemonMelon, this thing shouldn't have been done until the end of the decade proper.

Good to see NYC and Obstacle 1 in there, and it's strange that Hearts On Fire is higher than Out There On The Ice....

All My Friends isn't for pre-gaming. It's for when you come home from a night out, alone, you're drunk, tired, but you want to keep drinking.

I think it could work for both, actually, but yeah, it's awesome in general.

Top three will, I assume, be a combination of "Hey Ya," "All My Friends," and "Since U Been Gone." Very curious, since "I'll Believe in Anything" barely cracked the top 100. I assumed that was another top 10 lock.

Man, I'm really liking this list. A bunch of tracks that I looooooove and, again, didn't expect to see, showed up here in this #100 -#51.

"Hate It or Love It", "Such Great Heights", "Be Mine", "Try Again", "Mr. Brightside", "Forgot About Dre", "Cry Me A River", "Fell In Love With A Girl", "Someday" (!)

Awesome stuff.

I thought "Stuck Between Stations" would have been a bit higher but, oh well. This is good shit.

3rd Planet
Weak Become Heroes
Nothing Ever Happened
Izzo (H.O.V.A.)
Mr. Brightside
Rebellon (Lies)
White Winter Hymnal
Obstacle 1
Stuck Between Stations
New Slang
Jesus, Etc.
Pyramid Song
Wolf Like Me
Ms. Jackson
Flashing Lights

So much good music in 100-51. :drool: I won't complain about the placements because, seriously, out of the millions of songs released this decade, what the hell is the difference between the 500th best and the 1st?

Wow, "Since U Been Gone" only at 21! And still very little 'Kast, which means that "Hey Ya," "I Like The Way You Move," AND "B.O.B." should be locks for the top 20. That's nuts. Also, still no "Anthems," from BSS. And still no "Paper Planes," which I didn't think was going to make it all the way into the top 20. Weird, wild stuff, unless I just missed something.

I think it could work for both, actually, but yeah, it's awesome in general.

Refining my statement: Mr. V was completely correct. I can tell you this because I'm in the moment right now. He's right. I was wrong.

Though we're running out of the drugs
And the conversation's winding away
I wouldn't trade one stupid decision
For another five years of life

There's some Pavement song that relates to me right now, too. Can't think of it.

Some good tracks, some great tracks, some overrated pieces of shitty indie music, some crappy mainstream music that pitchfork likes for some reason, some songs that actually deserve to be there...usual list from pitchfork then

Yellow making it is only topped by it being higher than Intervention in terms of fail

yellow is an out and out classic.

shake it like a polaroid picture

Refining my statement: Mr. V was completely correct. I can tell you this because I'm in the moment right now. He's right. I was wrong.

Though we're running out of the drugs
And the conversation's winding away
I wouldn't trade one stupid decision
For another five years of life

There's some Pavement song that relates to me right now, too. Can't think of it.

Glad to be of service. I hope to have one of those moments over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom