Pitchfork's Top 500 Tracks of the 2000s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm probably the only one here who would have an issue with the Idioteque pick. The lack of How To Disappear Completely is disturbing. :sad: Should have replaced Everything In Its Right Place, if nothing else. Don't even get me started on Wake Up's absence.

I'll agree with you on Idioteque, but I think HTDC is even more overrated. Everything in Its Right Place should have been the highest-ranked.

R.E.M. - All The Way To Reno(You're Gonna Be A Star)

:lmao:

Also, Rosa Parks > B.O.B., Hey Ya. 90s Outkast FTW.

Miss Jackson > all of the above

Well. Looks like I'm gonna be a dissenter.

I don't understand the Ignition love. What's so special about it? I thought R Kelly was a laughingstock around here anyway?

I also don't get the B.O.B. love. Doesn't do anything for me(and I only just listened to it for the first time about twenty minutes ago after seeing it atop this list - was never an outkast fan). I think Hey Ya is much better, and I've only come around on that recently(I didn't like it at all when it was everywhere in 2004). To say that B.O.B. is the best song of the decade is absolutely, unequivocally insane, imo.

On the subject of hip-hop, how does The Marshall Mathers LP, absolutely one of the hugest hip hop records of the decade, get nothing on this list? The Real Slim Shady? The Way I Am? Stan? I take any of those three over B.O.B. any day of the week.

Other stuff that I think should have made it:
Coldplay - Clocks
Arcade Fire - Wake Up
Arcade Fire - No Cars Go
Muse - Time Is Running Out
Muse - Knights Of Cydonia
Probably some other Muse tracks
Green Day - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Smashing Pumpkins - Stand Inside Your Love
R.E.M. - All The Way To Reno(You're Gonna Be A Star)
Sigur Ros - Untitled 4
Travis - Love Will Come Through
A bunch of Radiohead stuff(namely How To Disappear Completely, You And Whose Army, I Might Be Wrong, Life In A Glass House, There There, A Wolf At The Door, All I Need)
And yes, some U2(namely The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Beautiful Day, and Fez-Being Born)

Among others.

Not a terrible list, a lot of good stuff on it, but I don't think it's a great list either.

I kinda knew Travis wouldn't make a showing, but yeah Love Will Come Through is a terrific tune, and Sing (especially), Indefinitely, Pipe Dreams, Big Chair would've all been good to see in there, but they never really stood a chance.

Clocks was in there, but Amsterdam and Lost! would be more worthy in my reckoning.

Don't remember seeing House Of Cards in there anywhere, which was bizarre??

I cant stand B.O.B. never could. I dont even mind Outkast. that was a bit anticlimactic for me

Ignition gets some love from me though. Thats a catchy ass song

Out of every 40 or 50 songs I saw maybe one or two I felt deserved to be on there - nevermind placement

Granted, I don't know the majority of the songs, but there are plenty I do know that have me scratching my head. As for the top 20, I'd probably only keep Idioteque and Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels). The Rat, Hey Ya, Crazy, Maps, One More Time, Paper Planes, and B.O.B. are all pretty good, but not top 20 good.

yeah...my list would be vastly, vastly different. and including Coldplay but not U2 is ... lol.

i will admit i pretty much assumed i wasn't going to like/hadn't heard of most of what's on here. and that is the case, but like i said i expected it so it's not the end of the world. i am slightly amused that a scissor sisters track made the cut. sadly it's not one of my favourites, but it's better than nothing. i'm also glad to see a david byrne/brian eno track making the list.

and i guess i will never understand the love for hey ya. i just have never liked it. i didn't like it when it first came out and i didn't like it after hearing it 1000 times. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom