Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How is this different from seeing Robert Plant solo play a bunch of Zeppelin songs? I wouldn’t go to that.

I have a lot of respect for Waters as a writer and thinker but if he’s a solo artist he should primarily be playing his solo work.

Don’t want to rain on people’s parades of enjoying a big show but I don’t get it.

lmao this post reminds me of when Andy Daly went on U Talkin' U2 to Me and told the story of the time in the late 80s when he went to go see a Sting concert and was really annoyed that Sting played a bunch of Police songs.

Justice for Free Four! :heart:

hell yes. that guitar solo :drool:

Last edited:
That is cool.

I got a Pink Floyd Tiktok this morning. Of a young woman listening to Time. What a song. I've not listened to Floyd in ages, I should.

Some rando on a Reddit vinyl releases page just claimed Momentary Lapse of Reason is better than Animals. I get less inclined to judge people's musical tastes by the day, but that is as close to an objectively wrong opinion as I have ever heard.

And related, if anyone is in the market for a super-expensive, half-speed vinyl remaster of Momentary Lapse, you're in luck.

Last edited:
Some rando on a Reddit vinyl releases page just claimed Momentary Lapse of Reason is better than Animals. I get less inclined to judge people's musical tastes by the day, but that is as close to an objectively wrong opinion as I have ever heard.

I agree. The album title alone sounds like David Gilmour and Co. trying their best to be as clever as Roger Waters. I've never owned the album, but there are a few great songs on it. The Division Bell was a much better album and felt like more of a band effort than just a group of session musicians.

Animals, on the other hand, is one of my favorite PF albums. I used to listen to it a lot. I would just hit play and let it go.

learning to fly, coming back to life, and sorrow are all good pink floyd songs that deserve a place with the rest of the band's respected tracks.

the rest of the album is typical mid-80s "fading 70s band turns gated reverb up to 11" forgettable crap.

Last edited:
I know Momentary Lapse really well because I had it on CD in my teens - back when there was only enough money for a CD every month or whatever, so you ended up listening to what you bought many many times over (why I bought that instead of something else from Floyd, I will never know). That kind of forced me into liking it at the time, but retrospect has not been kind to it.

It was one of my first CDs as well, and I'm glad they came back and did it, but yeah, only half the album is any good. Along with the three Dave mentioned, I also like One Slip. The second half, apart from Sorrow, is just filler.

And The Dogs Of War is one of the worst things they ever did.

Obscured By Clouds has become one of my go to autumn evening albums. It's so good, especially Wot's Uh the Deal and Stay.

It was one of my first CDs as well, and I'm glad they came back and did it, but yeah, only half the album is any good. Along with the three Dave mentioned, I also like One Slip. The second half, apart from Sorrow, is just filler.

And The Dogs Of War is one of the worst things they ever did.

I like Dogs Of War.

Learning To Fly and On The Turning Away are the standouts and worth the price of the album.

I'm a Gilmour guy, so I have big soft spot for those two albums. It annoys me people put them down as 'not Floyd' while not doing the same for the Final Cut, which may as well be a Waters solo album with a few Gilmour features.

If Roger tours here again I'll see him in a heartbeat. One of the best shows I've ever seen, so thankful I got to see something close to Floyd in my lifetime.

Was watching Eternals the other day and they played Time at the start of the movie. I can't recall a PF song being used in a movie before.

I'm randomly sharing that my disdain for the piece of shit scumfuck that Roger Waters has graduated to has greatly lessoned my celebration of Dark Side of the Moon at 50 years old. :sad:

I will never listen to his version of the album ever. Fuck that motherfucker! :angry:

I look forward to hearing it. I've always liked Waters, I adored his Us v Them tour, one of my favourite concerts, and so grateful I got to see so many of my favourite songs performed so well by an original member and an incredible band.

I have also admired his politics for a long while, he is very left wing, although reading this piece, which is superbly written by the journalist Tristram Fame Sanders, yeah, he’s a fucking prick it seems, and his take on Russia and Ukraine is very strange. HOWEVER, he’s fucking spot on about Israel, and one of biggest pet hates is how any criticism of Israel earns you the anti-semite tag.

Well, when you have several close Jewish friends, you're not gonna admire Waters. And his statements about Jews are stalling the sale of their catalog which is rumored to be in the 500-million-dollar range. Waters still cannot accept that the Pink Floyd brand is bigger than Waters himself.

My take on this is that I cannot abide some of RW's comments. However, I think I just accept his outspoken ways for what they are, and if I want to still see him in concert and hear the songs (got tickets for this year) then I have to put up with some of his nonsense. The latest spat over Twitter with Polly is ridiculous, and somehow I cannot believe Gilmour himself posted that 'every word demonstrably true' comment. It's just a shame, when we've seen those reconciliations a couple of times over the years, but it will never be officially put to bed.

II wish Gilmour would do a couple of one off gigs at the Albert Hall or somewhere. It;s been too long since he played live!

I loved seeing Nick Mason's touring band at Dingwalls in Camden back in 2018 - utterly fantastic.

:wave:

Yeah they're touring here later this year, I'm definitely going to go, hopefully ticket prices drop though, at the moment it's like $160 for a large theatre, which is ridiculous.

Waters has been an asshole for decades now. I won't let that overshadow my love for Pink Floyd's music. I'll never listen to his version of Dark Side. He might be performing Pink Floyd, but it's not Pink Floyd. I'm sure he doesn't want that anyway.

I'm not a fan of the Comfortably Numb version he's doing on this tour - no guitar, but it is what it is I guess. What I WOULD love is The Final Cut played in full - it's the 40th anniversary this year, so the timing would be spot on, but it's clearly not happening. Hi vocal range might not work these days anyway, for the big note in Post War Dream/Gunner's Dream etc.

I think I've only listened to the Final Cut once and that was a very long time ago. I've heard and read so much about it, that my curiosity is peaked. I should revisit it. It's the album that destroyed Pink Floyd, so it's bittersweet for me.

I couldn't imagine Comfortably Numb without some electric guitar in it.

Back
Top Bottom