Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:

Pigs On The Wing, Pt. 1 :drool:

Dogs :drool:

Pigs :drool:

Sheep :drool:

Pigs On The Wing, Pt. 2 :drool:

Oh, wait... :shifty:

You could not be more correct. Even the Pigs on the Wings are both magnificent.

And have you ever heard an album with better outros??? ohhhh :combust:

COBL_04 said:

You could not be more correct. Even the Pigs on the Wings are both magnificent.

And have you ever heard an album with better outros??? ohhhh :combust:

Outside of maybe OK Computer, none. Sheep is particularly dazzling in that area. :drool:

Can't agree with your first point sadly, but

alright.

Dogs, you have this kick ass vocal which goes on for over a minute. Pigs, the song finally goes up a gear with this slamming solo, and Sheep, well. :drool:

COBL_04 said:

Exactly the effect it had on me mate!! Any song you particularly loved?? It's soo incredibly good, bit of big shame that it isn't revered like Dark Side, WYWH or the Wall is.

Man it's miles ahead of the Wall.

I'm not sure I could just pick one song right now out of the main three, they all have their 'wow' moments and it'll take a while before I get to know them better.

I've only listened to Dark Side and Wish You Were Here so far and Animals really surprised me with how aggressive both the lyrics and the music were. I love how Dogs, Pigs (Three Little Ones) and Sheep all get so much play time to spread out into so much space and really develop themselves, although it was ace on Dark Side how the songs on each side continuously flowed into one another.

And sometimes it's refreshing to have a favourite that doesn't get as much publicity / exposure, it makes it feel that bit more special when you give it a spin :up:

Bumping this because I've been doing a lot of listening to Pink Floyd's awkward years lately (1968-1970). What fascinating, if occasionally horrible albums those were. More is literally half good, Ummagumma is 1/10ths good, and Atom Heart Mother is quite wonderful.

I downloaded the 9/17/69 Amsterdam bootleg tonight and, oh man, some of the performances here are AMAZING. Cymbaline and Biding My Time especially. Gilmour is a genius. :heart:

Cymbaline is really pretty :dancing:

Where'd ya get the bootlegs?

Man you could get the best working for years and they'll never come up with anything half as good as Shine on You Crazy Diamond... :drool:

then i would LOVE to hear how girls aloud rate in comparison. im going to assume youve only heard the final cut album, because then i'd agree.

This Cymbaline kicks ass lemon !!!

I listened to Dark Side yesterday, and though it's still not one of my favourite Pink Floyd albums for some reason it worked better as an album for me than on previous occasions. I've always appreciated it for individual songs rather than as a whole experience.

I can't stop listening to Animals, :bow:

What a bloody amazing album, I remember listening to my Dad's copy ages ago and not liking it very much for some reason. But now I can't believe I've ignored it for so long; and I've never realised just how bitter and venomous the lyrics are (in a good way of course).

I can't stop listening to Animals, :bow:

What a bloody amazing album, I remember listening to my Dad's copy ages ago and not liking it very much for some reason. But now I can't believe I've ignored it for so long; and I've never realised just how bitter and venomous the lyrics are (in a good way of course).

Animals is perfect. :)

I've been listening to this one quite a lot, lately...

animal_farm%5B1%5D.jpg

Big man, pig man!
Ha ha, charade you are!
You well-heeled big wheel,
Ha ha, charade you are!
And when your hand is on your heart
You're nearly a good laugh, almost a joker
With your head down in the pig bin,
Saying "Keep on digging."
Pig stain on your fat chin
What do you hope to find
When you're down in the pig mine?
You're nearly a laugh,
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry

margaret_thatcher.jpg

Bus-stop, rat bag!
Ha ha, charade you are!
You fucked up old hag!
Ha ha, charade you are!
You radiate cold shafts of broken glass
You're nearly a good laugh
Almost worth the quick grin
Do you like the feel of steel?
You're hot stuff with a hat pin
And good fun with a handgun
You're nearly a laugh
You're nearly a laugh, but you're really a cry

Mary_Whitehouse.jpg

Hey you, Whitehouse!
Ha ha, charade you are!
You house-proud, town mouse
Ha ha, charade you are!
You're trying to keep our feelings off the street
You're nearly a real treat
All tight lips and cold feet
And do you feel abused?
[suggestive breathing]
You've got to stem the evil tide
And keep it all on the inside
Mary, you're nearly a treat
Mary, you're nearly a treat, but you're really a cry.

I listened to Dark Side yesterday, and though it's still not one of my favourite Pink Floyd albums for some reason it worked better as an album for me than on previous occasions. I've always appreciated it for individual songs rather than as a whole experience.

I think I've mentioned this before, but when I first came to Interference I think a PF elimination game was going. And DSOTM was up and everyone was discussing the songs. I didn't have a clue what some of the songs they were talking about were. Any Colour You Like, On the Run, Great Gig in the Sky, Eclipse :huh:. I didn't have a clue what they were and had to check. And this was a life changing album for my group of friends from the day it came out. And I'm sure we looked at the song titles occasionally. But it was something that was put on the turntable, then turned over. Listened to and digested as a whole. After listening so many times through the years and I didn't even know some of the song titles. Money, Breathe, Time were easy enough to figure out, but the rest................. I was like :doh:

Just thought I'd throw that in :wink:

Hadn't seen you say that before hardie.

That's pretty interesting, and very believable too... I suppose that just won't happen today with CDs.

But I seldom listen to the individual tracks... it's an album to listen to as a whole.

ANIMALS :drool:

Still yet to hear an album with better outros. Very nearly another almost perfect album.

Even Pigs on the Wing are magnificent.

New Zealand Floyd cover band I saw last night. Wasn't worth $160 bucks. Light show fairly poor. But still a good show.

Welcome to the Machine
Pigs on the Wing 1
Dogs
In the Flesh - “We want to dedicate this show to Rick Wright… he was a genius.”
The Thin Ice
Another Brick in the Wall, pt. 1
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick in the Wall, pt. 2
Mother
Besides In the Flesh this was a pretty lacklustre effort at the Wall set I thought
Hey You – Fantastic
On the Turning Away – Was quite good, everyone seemed to know it but me
What Do You Want From Me
~Intermission~
Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts I – V) – Mixing didn’t sound right, song sounded a little too busy, saxophonist was quite good
The Dogs of War – Why’s everyone hate this? It’s not that bad
Learning to Fly – Terrific, I love this song
Have a Cigar
Money
Us and Them
Any Colour You Like
Brain Damage
Eclipse – Keyboards, which are really what drive this song, were barely audible, vocals average
Wish You Were Here – “This one’s for Rick…
~Encore~
Run Like Hell – Did this one particularly well
Comfortably Numb – I believe he may have used the Pulse outro. I’m not sure, I’ve only listened to it once or twice, but it was definitely extended but kicked all kinds of ass. They appeared to be finished, with just synth going, and then the guitarist solo’d for another 30 seconds or so

:bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:

:bump:ing this thread because I'm back on Pink Floyd after a hiatus. Two things brought me back; one was watching The Wall film. I was captivated by it, even if that pretentious Roger Waters (just don't like him) was not. Bob Geldof was particularly good, and it was brilliant seeing the songs brought to life, though I'm still of the opinion The Trial and the ending in general suck. Hopefully we can chat about the movie (calling screwy and GG...)

I also listened to Dark Side, and still love it just as much as when I first heard it, and still call it my favourite. Time doing it for me at the moment. :heart:

I'm also enjoying The Wall, which really shows that I'm back on the Floyd, as it's probably only just ahead of Meddle as far as my favourites go. The Thin Ice better than I though.

Talk, appreciate and talk! :drool:

Listening to Moment Of Surrender has got me thinking about going through a Floyd phase again. The solo, the chorus and the vocal in the chorus reminds me a lot of Floyd :up:

Actually, UC and F-BB reminds me of PF

Ha, I used to hate PF and I still do hate Waters, he is a genious but he's a dick too. Anyway, it is a great band. I love their work between Atom Heart Mother and The Wall. Still need to hear The Final Cut, A Momentary Lapse and Division Bell though.

Final Cut is lyrically superb. Gunner's Dream and The Final Cut are the standout tracks for me. AMLOR is underrated I think. On the turning away and Sorrow are great, as is the instrumental Terminal Frost.

Division Bell is great from start to finish :up:

Actually, UC and F-BB reminds me of PF

Ha, I used to hate PF and I still do hate Waters, he is a genious but he's a dick too. Anyway, it is a great band. I love their work between Atom Heart Mother and The Wall. Still need to hear The Final Cut, A Momentary Lapse and Division Bell though.

Fez reminds me a little of Small Furry Animals Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict... :D

Cymbaline one of my favourite Floyd songs.

From what I've heard of the Final Cut, it's essentially a Waters solo album and is quite boring and lifeless.

:bump:ing this thread because I'm back on Pink Floyd after a hiatus. Two things brought me back; one was watching The Wall film. I was captivated by it, even if that pretentious Roger Waters (just don't like him) was not. Bob Geldof was particularly good, and it was brilliant seeing the songs brought to life, though I'm still of the opinion The Trial and the ending in general suck. Hopefully we can chat about the movie (calling screwy and GG...)

I really enjoy the movie. :up: While I like Bob Geldof's performance, the animation is the best element of the film outside the soundtrack. In fact, I think the movie would have been best as a completed animated film. There are simply too many iconic images to count in the film, though very few in my mind involving Geldof.

Back
Top Bottom