Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

And people called me crazy for using that in the Desert Island Album Game II.

And people look at me like I have three heads when I say that is my favourite Pink Floyd song.

:tsk:

Well, it's clearly a great song, but I would take Comfortably Numb, Wish You Were Here, Breathe, or Dogs over it any day. :shrug:

:love: Goodbye Blue Sky is so pretty. I think my Pink Floyd top 10 looks like this now:

1. Wish You Were Here
2. Breathe
3. Comfortably Numb
4. Fearless
5. Goodbye Blue Sky
6. Eclipse
7. Any Colour You Like
8. Pillow Of Winds
9. Dogs
10. Summer '68

LemonMelon said:

Well, it's clearly a great song, but I would take Comfortably Numb, Wish You Were Here, Breathe, or Dogs over it any day. :shrug:

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEP. :drool:

That's my main issue with the Desert Island Game. People stress continuity or flow over "the best songs" because they don't fit in the playlist.

If you're stuck on a desert island with 160 minutes worth of music, would you care more about the flow than the quality of the songs?

Sure Echoes is one of their best songs, but could you listen to that as your only Floyd song for 15 years? 20 years? 50?

LemonMacPhisto said:

That's my main issue with the Desert Island Game. People stress continuity or flow over "the best songs" because they don't fit in the playlist.

If you're stuck on a desert island with 160 minutes worth of music, would you care more about the flow than the quality of the songs?

Sure Echoes is one of their best songs, but could you listen to that as your only Floyd song for 15 years? 20 years? 50?

:wink: That philosophy is why you won the last two times out and why I'm kicking your ass next time out. :evil:

Really, I agree with you 100%. I couldn't stand only having 20-25 songs to listen to for the rest of my life. It's just madness. :crazy:

LemonMacPhisto said:

I partly agree with this when it comes to Desert Island. Having what you consider are the best songs is the most important thing, although if you can not only accomplish that but sequence them in such a way that it really is incredible to listen to, then I think it's even better.

I have Echoes on my Prog Island list, but obviously it's a bit different with that game. I would never put it on my Desert Island list because it's length would take away too many other things.

phanan said:

I partly agree with this when it comes to Desert Island. Having what you consider are the best songs is the most important thing, although if you can not only accomplish that but sequence them in such a way that it really is incredible to listen to, then I think it's even better.

I have Echoes on my Prog Island list, but obviously it's a bit different with that game. I would never put it on my Desert Island list because it's length would take away too many other things.

Good point, I know I try to make the Side A-Side B type playlists, with a beginning, middle, and end, and you have to choose songs accordingly. When you're using bands you love, it's easier to do it.

I'd use Sheep but it's about 10 minutes long, so I used Nobody Home, my favorite Floyd/Waters-centric song no one else likes, which is only about 3 minutes long.

Nobody Home, eh? :hmm: It's a good tune, not sure how it would fit out of context...

I chose Fearless. :)

LemonMacPhisto said:

When you create flow, mood and so on you’re only adding to the songs. Beneath all of that I think people really love every song they put on their lists. There is so much you can do with your playlist while still including your favorite tracks. Every thing from continuity to diversity is created by how great the songs are. So when people say that someone has great this or that, they are actually still judging on who has the best songs and how they used them.

phanan said:
Good choice. I had Fearless on the last one.

More specifically, it's...

Interpol "Untitled" ---> Nick Drake "Pink Moon" ---> Fearless

I like the flow there. I couldn't get a good follow-up song for Fearless, but the songs before it sound great.

Back to Pink Floyd; I must say that, if there is a single guitar solo that can actually make me cry, it's the Comfortably Numb solo (I think Edge's solo in Kite comes close also). It just says so much, especially following all of the depression and mental collapse before it. It's an emotional release that says just as much as 1,000 words ever could. The Pulse version is amazing too, if I recall correctly.

I have the album, and I also have most of those early singles from the bonus disc that came with the Shine On box set, so I don't know if I'll pick it up or not. Although the fact that it is newly remastered intrigues me.

LemonMelon said:
http://www.pinkfloyd.com/x/news.html?nid=5

Is anyone interested in picking this up upon release? As much as I dislike Piper, I never purchased it and, if the price is right, I may give it a second chance. The bonus tracks sound cool.

I might do so. I'm REALLY disappointed that Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream aren't going to be included on the bonus disc, though. Would have liked an official release of those two. They're great Syd songs.

Screwtape2 said:

When you create flow, mood and so on you’re only adding to the songs. Beneath all of that I think people really love every song they put on their lists. There is so much you can do with your playlist while still including your favorite tracks. Every thing from continuity to diversity is created by how great the songs are. So when people say that someone has great this or that, they are actually still judging on who has the best songs and how they used them.

I see what you're saying here. What I'm trying to do with this playlist is have that sort of continuity, maybe almost a story, throughout the whole thing. The hardest part is finding the appropriate ending, it has to be that cathartic release everyone's been waiting for. I'm pretty close on settling on The Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want"

And phanan, "Nobody Home" kind of works with my playlist, but I am close to switching it up with something like "One of These Days", "The Great Gig in the Sky" (a very popular choice by everyone it seems), or "Brain Damage". I wish I could include "Brain Damage" and "Eclipse" as the same song. :sigh:

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

The hardest part is finding the appropriate ending, it has to be that cathartic release everyone's been waiting for. I'm pretty close on settling on The Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want"

Purple Rain is an amazing closer too. :up: The only problem is that it's 8 minutes long and the edited version is rubbish. :slant:

It gets a little too indulgent towards the end though.

Hey Jude would be great, but it doesn't fit my playlist at all, plus I'd rather have Here Comes the Sun.

Is yours in a single playlist? I chose the two disc method because I like being able to pick out two openers and two closers. :yes:

LemonMelon said:
Is yours in a single playlist? I chose the two disc method because I like being able to pick out two openers and two closers. :yes:

I have a single playlist, but it's divided like 2 CDs. I did it so I wouldn't have to worry about the lengths of each CD.

I also love dividing each CD into a Side A and Side B, with interludes and exitludes, that's a load of fun too.

GibsonGirl said:

I totally didn't see this post! Sorry. Here is mine:

1. Animals
2. The Final Cut
3. Wish You Were Here
4. The Wall
5. The Dark Side Of The Moon
6. Meddle
7. Obscured By Clouds
8. The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
9. A Saucerful Of Secrets
10. Atom Heart Mother
11. More
12. The Division Bell
13. Ummagumma
14. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (...or, as I like to call it, A Momentary Lapse of Musical Integrity)

And because I'm bored, I'll rank the solo albums too.

1. Roger Waters - Amused To Death
2. Roger Waters - The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking
3. David Gilmour - David Gilmour
4. Roger Waters - Radio KAOS
5. David Gilmour - On An Island
6. Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs
7. Richard Wright - Wet Dream
8. Syd Barrett - Barrett
9. Richard Wright - Broken China
10. David Gilmour - About Face

I don't own any of Nick's projects because...well, they suck. Didn't include Syd's Opel because it doesn't really count, it being more of a collection of outtakes, and I didn't include Roger's collaboration with Ron Geesin, as he only wrote a couple on that one.

I didn't see this either- interesting list. For me, Dark Side, WYWH and Animals are almost indistinguishable in their brilliance. I am slightly surprised that you would rank Broken China as low as you did, if only because I really enjoy that album. The atmospherics are exceptional, especially in Sweet July. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in Rick, as it is a great testament to his musicianship and also strongly evokes his many contributions to Floyd.

I'm opening with "Race for the Prize (Remix)" :drool:

and I'm going to use "Sheep," why not?

I've got a question for anyone familiar with the current Waters tour. Screwtape, GG (I know you'll probably have the answer), Phanan, or whoever may know. My question is this: Before the show begins, a film is shown, where a guy is listening to the radio while sitting in a chair. Amongst other things. Is this person supposed to be the rock star from The Wall who Geldof portrays in the film. The scene reminds me of 'Nobody Home'. Or is there no connection there. Just wondering. I know all you young 'uns are much more knowledgeable about the Floyd than I, so I thought I'd ask.

Either way, I love the way they continue using this film to lead into Wish You Were Here. I was hoping they would do that the first night we saw the show. And they did. :drool:

Leaving in a few hours for tonights extravaganza :hyper:

:bump:

Just thought I'd drop in and say I came this close to buying Pulse and Hunky Dory yesterday. Instead I walked out with House Season 1 and Automatic for the People.

Is Pulse worth it? I plan to get it this upcoming weekend.

COBL_04 said:

Most definitely, in my opinion. Gilmour is absolutely on fire throughout the entire record, especially on Comfortably Numb. You can usually find the CD used at most any record trading store for a fraction of its list price.

COBL_04 said:

Personally, I only watch PULSE for Sorrow and Dark Side Of The Moon. The rest of it comes off as a little hollow to me. But this is only because I'm not a big fan of The Division Bell and I loathe A Momentary Lapse Of Reason with every fibre of my being. I also get annoyed by the fact that Rick et al slaughtered Roger's vocals in Comfortably Numb. You might like the DVD though, because it seems you luckily haven't settled into one of the Floyd "camps" yet. :wink:

And yeah, hardyharhar, the general consensus is that the man with the radio is supposed to represent Pink from The Wall. I don't think I've seen anything official from Roger on it anywhere, but everyone agrees that it must be an older Pink.

Back
Top Bottom