Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"They call it riding the gravy train..."

Pah, the boxset is a waste of fucking money. I most certainly will not be buying it. I already have every album on CD. They're clearly trying to sucker the die-hards into buying this. No casual fan is going to spend that amount of money when all they want is "Another Brick In The Wall" and "Money". If you have most of the albums already, it's far cheaper just to buy the ones you don't have. Putting an album in a mini vinyl sleeve does not change the fact that the music is the same. Even if the albums are newly remastered, I don't think it's worth it. Most record companies buy into the whole "remastered = louder" idea anyway. Did you guys hear how horrible the remastering was on some of the songs on The Final Cut? I bought it to replace the old copy that my father bought in the late 80s, because it had "When The Tigers Broke Free" on it. They maxed it out so much that the drums in the beginning actually crackle when you listen to the song on headphones (even at low volume.) I don't listen to the remastered version at all.

They could do so much better when it comes to re-releases. Wish You Were Here in 5.1, for instance. Or an anniversary edition of Animals with "Raving And Drooling" and "You Gotta Be Crazy" on as bonus songs (or, even better, a live disc from the In The Flesh tour - we all know they've got soundboards stashed away somewhere.)

This doesn't really surprise me, though. Just another day in the life of Pink Floyd Music Ltd. 1987...

EDIT: Oh, and there was supposed to be a bonus interview DVD released with the box set. They've scrapped those plans now. So really, there is absolutely nothing new included in this box set. Just some artwork by Storm.

EDIT 2: Aaaaand, just found out, the albums will not be remastered! :happy: But hey, you get a poster! Money, it's a gas.

Last edited:
GG, you are absolutely correct, but the damn thing still is, for lack of a better term, awesome. I will not, however, be purchasing it. Did you buy any version of the Piper reissue?

cdisantis83 said:
GG, you are absolutely correct, but the damn thing still is, for lack of a better term, awesome. I will not, however, be purchasing it. Did you buy any version of the Piper reissue?

Yeah, I bought the three CD version of the reissue. I didn't have the mono disc (which I actually really enjoy - I'm glad I have it now!) and I wanted to hear the rarities at higher quality, so it seemed like good value for money to me. The inclusion of that notebook of Syd's was also a nice touch. The only thing that disappointed me about it was the lack of "Scream Thy Last Scream" (Nick gets shafted again :( ) and "Vegetable Man". Some other fans were also whining about not having an official release of "Lucy Leave" and "I'm A King Bee" as well...but I'm glad those ones weren't included because I think they're rubbish. :wink:

I don't really have a problem with re-issues, just as long as we're getting something worthwhile. New artwork doesn't interest me very much.

GibsonGirl said:

EDIT 2: Aaaaand, just found out, the albums will not be remastered! :happy: But hey, you get a poster! Money, it's a gas.

Yeah - way overpriced, and I won't be buying it.
One thing I'm not clear on is if the sound quality will be an improvement over the existing cds. I read somewhere that the Japanese versions are "audiophile quality" and sell for a lot on ebay. Maybe the bitrate will be higher :hmm: .

LemonMelon - why don't you want to see The Wall?

Dark Side is still my favourite, followed by WYWH, Meddle/Wall. Haven't listened to Animals enough yet. Tonight.

How good is Echoes when it starts coming back after five minutes of birds - about the 17 minute mark... and then about 18:20... that guitar man :combust:

ntalwar said:

Yeah - way overpriced, and I won't be buying it.
One thing I'm not clear on is if the sound quality will be an improvement over the existing cds. I read somewhere that the Japanese versions are "audiophile quality" and sell for a lot on ebay. Maybe the bitrate will be higher :hmm: .

Hmm, haven't heard much about those Japanese versions... Just make sure you don't get any Chinese versions. :wink:

pfchinathewallxr0720back.jpg

"I have become come fartably numb"

COBL_04 said:
LemonMelon - why don't you want to see The Wall?

:slant: I have seen the Wall, and I liked it very much. The whole idea of the film seemed off-putting at first, but it's a well-made film and that's undeniable.

LM, I just read your Wall review on epinions. Very nice! Man, I forgot about that epinions place. It's a cool little review site.

i haven't written a review on there in ages. I'll probably do one for In Rainbows when they add it to the site.

Zoots, it's not a joke. You can buy it on eBay. :lol:

This is still the funniest:

CDCover.jpg

ntalwar said:

:lol: that's hilarious.

That same site also has some details on the Japanese ones based on Original Master Recordings:
http://www.batini.com/_scripts/blarticles.php?blarticle=pfgold

Ohhhh, the MFSLs! I wasn't aware they came from Japan. A few people I know via AFG have Amused To Death and DSOTM MFSLs. One of the DSOTM copies (which was still sealed) was well over $1000. :crack: I love Pink Floyd, but I don't think I'd be able to spend that amount of money on them. Still, those would be awesome to have.

I am also a fan of D-Bell. High Hopes and Marooned are both very fine songs, and the album holds together quite well in terms of atmosphere. Of course, it suffers lyrically, but not egregiously so (Momentary Lapse of Reason).

The trio of Take It Back-Coming Back to Life-Keep Talking is one of the best three-song sets in all of the Pink Floyd catalogue, IMO. Certainly the best of the post-Waters era.

DaveC said:
The trio of Take It Back-Coming Back to Life-Keep Talking is one of the best three-song sets in all of the Pink Floyd catalogue, IMO. Certainly the best of the post-Waters era.

While I like that trio a lot, I think Keep Talking, Lost For Words, and High Hopes is even better.

GibsonGirl said:

Yeah, I bought the three CD version of the reissue. I didn't have the mono disc (which I actually really enjoy - I'm glad I have it now!) and I wanted to hear the rarities at higher quality, so it seemed like good value for money to me. The inclusion of that notebook of Syd's was also a nice touch. The only thing that disappointed me about it was the lack of "Scream Thy Last Scream" (Nick gets shafted again :( ) and "Vegetable Man". Some other fans were also whining about not having an official release of "Lucy Leave" and "I'm A King Bee" as well...but I'm glad those ones weren't included because I think they're rubbish. :wink:

It only just occurred to me that those two tracks could have been included! :huh: I first heard them a few years ago and thought wow these are interesting to put it one way, i'm sure we'll get a decent quality version in the future and for some reasons no alarms rang in my head when I first read about the Piper re-issue. Wasted oppurtunity if anything. :(

I don't really have a problem with re-issues, just as long as we're getting something worthwhile. New artwork doesn't interest me very much.

you call that artwork?!? :mad: that's the lamest re-issue i've seen in quite a while, art wise...especially the two CD version in the double jewel case. Looks like someone threw it together in MS paint...:eyebrow:

:evil:
:bump:

Oh how I love the Floyd.

I don't currently have any of my CDs, I'm lending them to everyone at school.

Sadly they're all intersted in mostly The Wall, Dark Side and WYWH and won't listen to me when I say play fucking ANIMALS!!!!

monkeyskin said:
Listened to Animals for the first time yesterday on the way to a mate's house. Blew me away.

Exactly the effect it had on me mate!! Any song you particularly loved?? It's soo incredibly good, bit of big shame that it isn't revered like Dark Side, WYWH or the Wall is.

Man it's miles ahead of the Wall.

Back
Top Bottom