Pavement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This Spiral Stairs album is...

:|

The guy just doesn't deliver a very interesting vocal. Music ain't bad, but not enough time to be listening to subpar stuff like this.

Matador Records | Matablog

Quarantine The Past: The Best Of Pavement comes out on March 9, 2010. This fully remastered 23-track compilation will be available on MID-PRICED double LP, CD and digital album formats. The tracks span the entirety of Pavement’s career from 1989 to 1999, from the scratchy and mysterious sounds of their early vinyl-only releases to the rich, multilayered warmth of their final recordings. Although the compilation does not include any unreleased material, it definitely digs deeper than the hits.

:huh:

Matador Records | Matablog

Quarantine The Past: The Best Of Pavement comes out on March 9, 2010. This fully remastered 23-track compilation will be available on MID-PRICED double LP, CD and digital album formats. The tracks span the entirety of Pavement’s career from 1989 to 1999, from the scratchy and mysterious sounds of their early vinyl-only releases to the rich, multilayered warmth of their final recordings. Although the compilation does not include any unreleased material, it definitely digs deeper than the hits.

:huh:

Pitchfork also added that all of Pavement's albums will be reissued on low-priced vinyl, which I'm sure will please certain people here.

Pitchfork also added that all of Pavement's albums will be reissued on low-priced vinyl, which I'm sure will please certain people here.

Hell to the yes it will. I have Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain from a recent reissue, but the others have eluded me so far.

I will always appreciate some good wordplay, that's for sure.

And, considering the most recent vinyl reissue of Brighten the Corners was an absurd $70 (it was the deluxe edition, but still), a much cheaper alternative will be welcomed.

And, considering the most recent vinyl reissue of Brighten the Corners was an absurd $70 (it was the deluxe edition, but still), a much cheaper alternative will be welcomed.

This. It'll be nice finally to be able to afford these. They're all easily found, but generally way too pricey, given that I already own them all, on CD.

Here's the tracklist of the compilation:

Quarantine the Past: The Best of Pavement:

01 Gold Soundz (Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain)
02 Frontwards (Watery, Domestic EP)
03 Mellow Jazz Docent (Perfect Sound Forever EP)
04 Stereo (Brighten the Corners)
05 In the Mouth a Desert (Slanted & Enchanted)
06 Two States (Slanted & Enchanted)
07 Cut Your Hair (Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain)
08 Shady Lane / J Vs. S (Brighten the Corners)
09 Here (Slanted & Enchanted)
10 Unfair (Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain)
11 Grounded (Wowee Zowee)
12 Summer Babe (Winter Version) (Slanted & Enchanted)
13 Range Life (Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain)
14 Date w/ IKEA (Brighten the Corners)
15 Debris Slide (Perfect Sound Forever EP)
16 Shoot the Singer (1 Sick Verse) (Watery, Domestic EP)
17 Spit on a Stranger (Terror Twilight)
18 Heaven Is a Truck (Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain)
19 Trigger Cut/Wounded-Kite at :17 (Slanted and Enchanted)
20 Embassy Row (Brighten the Corners)
21 Box Elder (Slay Tracks 1933-1969 EP)
22 Unseen Power of the Picket Fence (No Alternative compilation)
23 Fight This Generation (Wowee Zowee)

Shoot the Singer inclusion FTW.

One song from Terror Twilight, however = not cool. At least put fucking Carrot Rope on there.

Also, Fight this Generation?! Come on, there are tons better songs on Wowee Zowee; how did Rattled By The Rush not make it?

Lastly:

Stop Breathing > Heaven is a Truck
Filmore Jive > Heaven is a Trick
Newark-Wilder > Heaven is a Truck
Silence Kit > Heaven is a Truck
Elevate Me Later > Heaven is a Truck

Jesus, Wowee Zowee really took it on the chin. Ouch. Not even "Kennel District" or "Rattled by the Rush" made it. To say nothing of "Father to a Sister of Thought." Damn.

Yes, esp. considering those last two were singles.

Stairs was only going to get a couple tracks on here; hard to argue with the classic Two States, but yeah Kennel District is the best thing he ever put to tape.

Yeah, I'm shocked Major Leagues didn't make it, as that's far and away my favorite track from TT (and probably one of my fav Pavement tracks in general).

Two States instead of Zurich Is Stained? Fuck. And Heaven Is A Truck instead of...basically anything (Rattled By The Rush would be my choice)? It's a Pavement collection, so of course there's a lot of good shit here, but this isn't essential, really.

Was there any doubt? I like Pavement myself but a lot of their biggest fans (i.e. hipsters) are total douche bags that like music that sounds cool more than anything else because they don't find much emotional resonance in any of it. Again, not knocking Pavement, but a 10.0 is about what half of Pitchfork's readership would expect.

Still loving that Brighten The Corners reissue. Mah-velous.

Was there any doubt? I like Pavement myself but a lot of their biggest fans (i.e. hipsters) are total douche bags that like music that sounds cool more than anything else because they don't find much emotional resonance in any of it. Again, not knocking Pavement, but a 10.0 is about what half of Pitchfork's readership would expect.

Still loving that Brighten The Corners reissue. Mah-velous.

You mean guys that look like this?

IMG_0342-1-1.jpg

So what does it mean, a mistake or two
If it's the kind of mistakes no one can trace
To the fountain where we sold it
And held them hanging?

Wow, it gets really douchey in the middle. Conduit For Sale > Range Life? Really? I feel like a prick for thinking Zurich Is Stained is one of their best simply because it's on this list.

Good to know that most of their peaks never made it onto the albums, and that I don't need to bother with the largely inessential Wowee Zowee. :up:

It wasn't that bad. They get major points from me for ranking AT&T, Shoot the Singer, and Frontwards so high.

But Box Elder wouldn't even make my Top 25 list, and LOL @ Here being #1.

Also, was Grounded not on there at all? I changed my mind: fuck these guys.

I don't understand what makes Two States a good song. Is it clever? It goes right over my head if so. This is a serious inquiry.

Guided By Voices have like 45 silly throwaways that resonate more with me.

I was trying to be kind. A very overrated song, and of course I can't get behind the anti-SoCal sentiment. Most of Stairs' songs suck anyway (Hit The Plane Down nearly ruins Crooked Rain) so it would prob be up there anyway.

Hey! I have no posts in this thread. How strange.

I only knew the songs from the best of, most of which I love, some I just like, and that's a pretty shit list. I love Frontwards though, so I can't complain about its height, and I love Box Elder too.

But yeah, Grounded is my favourite Pavement song and it'd be up for most of you, no?

I only know of this Hit the Plane Down track because everyone and anyone said LC! did their equivalent of it with Plan A.

If I can find a Pavement album in JB today, I'll buy it. But Aquemini, Stankonia and ATLiens on vinyl come first.

cobl04 said:
But yeah, Grounded is my favourite Pavement song and it'd be up for most of you, no?

Oh, absolutely. Rough top 5:

Grounded
Zurich Is Stained
Rattled By The Rush
Cut Your Hair
Summer Babe

Why not. NO DISCOURSE.

Grounded
Frontwards
Gold Soundz
Shady Lane
Here

Here reminds me of Fake Plastic Trees, which is why I paired them in my last DI list.

Back
Top Bottom