Panda Bear - Tomboy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've only heard Last Night at the Jetty from the new album.

And didn't like it at all, despite trying numerous times.

I think it was the 19th, but I remember hearing it was pushed up for RSD, the 16th. Doesn't explain why Insound and everyone else lists it as the 12th. But it looks like the 12th is the real deal. Pitchfork spring release calendar says the RSD thing is a limited edition LP version of it. That'll be the one I try to get then.

And in other news, I'm already smitten with the album. Might ask it to move in with me, but I don't want to take things too fast.

Also, the fact that NPR First Listens stream directly to your phone makes for a white people problem avoided.

From what I've seen, the RSD version is on clear vinyl and includes a T-shirt.

Can't wait to listen to this later today. How have first impressions been from those who have heard it?

It's like a cross between Person Pitch and Merriweather Post Pavilion. Not as actively melodic and catchy as the latter, but more song-oriented than the former. It's hard to describe. Alsatian Darn is my favorite after one very enjoyable listen.

Is there anything as good as Comfy in Nautica or Take Pills? I still listen to both of those now and again.

Yeah, I would say so, but if anyone is looking for another My Girls or Summertime Clothes, they won't find it here. The singles are actually among the weaker moments of the album, which is very dense and foggy-sounding; great production, but by no means MPP2.

There isn't anything as ludicrously over-the-top as Bros though, for better or worse. Again, this is definitely a more song-oriented release than Person Pitch, which was a lot more ambitious in its arrangements. Panda Bear said that he was inspired by Nirvana and the White Stripes when recording this album, and you can hear a certain immediacy there.

nirniva said:
From what I've seen, the RSD version is on clear vinyl and includes a T-shirt.

I've heard all kinds of conflicting reports on this. Insound said the first 1000 of the pressing preordered will be clear, some sites say the RSD version is just a tee shirt, some say it'll have a shirt and 1000 of them will be clear. I don't know what to think at this point. Couple that with the fact that it's the one RSD release Waterloo Records appears to not be getting, and the whole thing is a headache.

Either way, after three listens, I'm dying to hear this thing on wax. I might just not even bother trying to track down a clear one and go ahead and buy it a week from tomorrow.

u2popmofo said:
Is there anything as good as Comfy in Nautica or Take Pills? I still listen to both of those now and again.

Honestly, I'm as entranced by this entire album as I was by those two tracks. You know I don't like heaping praise on things immediately after hearing them and that I prefer to spend a good deal of time with a record before forming an opinion on it, so consider this high praise. I absolutely love it so far.

It's like a cross between Person Pitch and Merriweather Post Pavilion. Not as actively melodic and catchy as the latter, but more song-oriented than the former. It's hard to describe. Alsatian Darn is my favorite after one very enjoyable listen.
Sounds amazing. Can't wait to hear it!

Honestly, I'm as entranced by this entire album as I was by those two tracks. You know I don't like heaping praise on things immediately after hearing them and that I prefer to spend a good deal of time with a record before forming an opinion on it, so consider this high praise. I absolutely love it so far.

That's really good news. I'll have to try to give the stream a listen later today.

I just finished my first listen, and all that I can really say is that I need to accumulate more listens in order to form a coherent appraisal. I am only a casual fan of Lennox's work both as a solo artist and with the Collective, but I greatly admire his musicianship. On this album, he makes tremendous use of space, and the whole thing achieves a striking balance between light and dark textures. I think that this has the potential to creep into my top ten of the year.

I would love to see this list, I'm all at sea with releases this year.

It's just a stupid list written on a sheet of paper from Dayton, Ohio. Black Joe Lewis and Radiohead are scribbled out because their albums are already out and purchased. Mastodon's date was corrected from 4-16 to 3-15.

But the Kills are tomorrow, Young Widows is next week, as is TV on the Radio, and I apparently have Panda Bear written twice; the first one is 4-19, but on the back of the paper is written Panda Bear 4-12.

With the exception of one or two tracks, I didn't dig person pitch.

But this new album is grrrrreat. More accessible, more chord progression hooks. Love it.

"Afterburner" is going to get jammed like you wouldn't believe once I get this wax in a week. And is "Benfica" beautiful or what?. Love the way the album wraps up.

It's high time I get to listen to this thing without it having to be through earbuds.

I really like that he has allowed these songs to breathe, which is something that AC almost never does. Something like "Slow Motion" feels organic, whereas AC, I think, would have added layers until it was overly-cluttered and lost its original direction.

Finally listened to the album for the first time tonight. I really enjoyed it, though I can tell it's going to be one of those albums that gets better with repeated listens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom