OK Computer named best album of the past 25 years by Q readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, exactly.

And just to get back on topic, which would be the best 10 albums of the last 25 years for people here?

And just to get back on topic, which would be the best 10 albums of the last 25 years for people here?

Jeez, just 10? They were allowed 30. :wink: I'll make up for that by limiting myself to one per artist.

Lazily copy/pasted from my top 100 all-time:

1. Radiohead - OK Computer
2. U2 - Zooropa
3. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
4. Beck - Sea Change
5. Weezer - Weezer [Blue Album]
6. Arcade Fire - Funeral
7. Prince - Sign o' the Times
8. Pulp - Different Class
9. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
10. Super Furry Animals - Radiator

Jeez, just 10? They were allowed 30. :wink: I'll make up for that by limiting myself to one per artist.

I thought no one would answer if I asked for more. :wink:

Lazily copy/pasted from my top 100 all-time:

1. Radiohead - OK Computer
2. U2 - Zooropa
3. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
4. Beck - Sea Change
5. Weezer - Weezer [Blue Album]
6. Arcade Fire - Funeral
7. Prince - Sign o' the Times
8. Pulp - Different Class
9. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
10. Super Furry Animals - Radiator

Nice choices, half of your list (for sure) would be on a personal top 30.

I don't dislike Kid A, I am just really bothered by what you just mentioned, everyone hails it as so damn special simply because they only listen to RH and the latest indie minute sensation. It seems the world was more ready to embrace a rock band taking an electronic sidetrip in 2001 than they were in 1993 for Zooropa, which I rate higher for it's cohesion, content and conciseness. Whoa, I did not intend for those criteria to all start with C.

Thank god I'm not the only who thinks this and has ever thought this.

I really do consider Zooropa to be a "masterpiece" as they say.

Thank you, PH. I disagree slightly about Cockropa being more cohesive than Kid A; the latter creates an atmosphere and wallows in it perfectly for that running time. It's very much of a piece. However lyrically it falls way short; especially when one knows that Yorke mostly threw a bunch of random overheard crap together. There's a palpable vibe, but it goes no deeper than that. Boner, on the other hand, is much more interesting in looking at how that oppressive modern world/technology permeates the different corners of our lives, how we interact with it and each other because of it.

Also, on a song-for-song basis I find Cockropa more impressive. IMO, there isn't anything on Kid A that hits the heights of the title track, LANCEMOM, or Serve (Faulted, So Close!)

And it should also be noted once again that Cockengers goes just as far from standard rock as Kid A does, and whaddaya know--it came out five years EARLIER.

Let me preface this by saying that I really like Zooropa, and I agree that it is one of Bono's strongest collective lyrical efforts. But I am going to have to disagree about it deviating from standard rock in terms of song structure. From my memory, every song on Zooropa is still in a 4/4 time signature and verse-chorus-verse structure. "Numb" and the title track are both experimental within those confines. On Kid A, however, the traditional song structures are ripped apart at the seams: unconventional chord changes, multiple time signatures, and unusual song structures. I also sense a coherent lyrical theme running though it; it's about fear of the unknown and distrust of conventional sources of information. It's essentially a post-modern image.

I'm not claiming that you suggested this, Laz, but Kid A's significance extends far beyond the incorporation of electronica.

Most of my Top 10 of the last 25 is from my regular All Time Top 10, because I only have two albums which are before 1985, those being The White Album and Steely Dan's Countdown to Ecstasy.

So much for the 1960's and 1970's.

Minus those, my list looks roughly like this:

1. Achtung Birdie
2. Pavement, Wowee Zowee
3. The Replacements, Pleased to Meet Me
4. Sugar, Copper Blue
6. Pixies, Doolittle
7. The Afghan Whigs, Black Love
8. Prince, Sign O' The Times
9. R.E.M., Lifes Rich Pageant
10. Bob Dylan, Oh Mercy

Let me preface this by saying that I really like Zooropa, and I agree that it is one of Bono's strongest collective lyrical efforts. But I am going to have to disagree about it deviating from standard rock in terms of song structure. From my memory, every song on Zooropa is still in a 4/4 time signature and verse-chorus-verse structure. "Numb" and the title track are both experimental within those confines. On Kid A, however, the traditional song structures are ripped apart at the seams: unconventional chord changes, multiple time signatures, and unusual song structures. I also sense a coherent lyrical theme running though it; it's about fear of the unknown and distrust of conventional sources of information. It's essentially a post-modern image.

I'm not claiming that you suggested this, Laz, but Kid A's significance extends far beyond the incorporation of electronica.

You appear to have misread my post, because I said that Cockengers was the one that veered away from trad. rock structure, not Cockropa.

Oh, sorry. I meant that as more of a general comment on the nature of Zooropa. The word "cock" does tend to make those things run together a bit.

Wow, I'm having a hard time thinking of a list on account of the sheer volume of great albums released in the last quarter-century. Here are a few that come to mind immediately, in no particular order:

Radiohead: In Rainbows
Radiohead: Kid A
Depeche Mode: Violator
U2: Achtung Baby
The Cure: Disintegration
The Smiths: The Queen Is Dead
The National: High Violet

The Wanderer is one of Bono's best lyrics. It's a shame it's such an overlooked track due to Cash being the vocalist.

That song produces some great post-apocalyptic images in my head - Cash's presence only improves the picture. Easily one of his best lyrical efforts and one of Zooropa's best songs.

Are we talking about "The Wanderer" specifically? Because it seems to me as though "Lemon" and "Crashed Car" have aged quite well - incredibly well, even.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we talking about synth bass as opposed just regular synth playing?

Also, I still think it suits the style of the album.

Apparently the Arcade Fire worship has not spread across the pond, poll indie kids in America and they'd have your 1, 2 and 3.

Most Q readers would hardly fall under "indie kids" category though.

For awhile I assumed the paranoia thing was an act/part of the band's image, until I started noticing pretty much any article about the band or Bellamy having quotes that proved he's really like that.

Oh I don't think it's all an act or the image, and I do think it's a part of Bellamy's personality, but I dare say that aspect has been rather overblown by the media. I'm pretty sure he doesn't think about that stuff 24/7 and he does have a healthy sense of humour about his paranoid interests too.

I kinda agree about the lack of real emotional weight in Muse's music, apart from a few individual songs, but ultimately what hooks me about their stuff is the over-the-top drama and the sense of otherworldliness.

Oh I don't think it's all an act or the image, and I do think it's a part of Bellamy's personality, but I dare say that aspect has been rather overblown by the media. I'm pretty sure he doesn't think about that stuff 24/7 and he does have a healthy sense of humour about his paranoid interests too.

I kinda agree about the lack of real emotional weight in Muse's music, apart from a few individual songs, but ultimately what hooks me about their stuff is the over-the-top drama and the sense of otherworldliness.

:up:

I like "The Wanderer". It's one of my favorite songs off Zooropa.

Angela

my top 10 in no order

Radiohead - OK Computer
Radiohead - The Bends
REM - Monster
Pixies - Doolittle
U2 - Joshua Tree
U2 - Achtung Baby
Nirvana - Nevermind
The Strokes - Is This It
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever people say i am, thats what im not
The White Stripes - Elephant

1. Whats the Story Morning Glory - OASIS
2. Definitley Maybe - OASIS
3. Urban Hymns - THE VERVE
4. Everything Must Go - MANIC STREET PREACHERS
5. Be Here Now - OASIS
6. Joshua Tree - U2
7. Word Gets Around - STEREOPHONICS
8. The Last Broadcast - DOVES
9. The Bends - RADIOHEAD
10. POP - U2

BREAKING: General interest music magazine polls readers for meaningless Top Album list to generate free buzz

Back
Top Bottom