OASIS - New Album(s) and all General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Falling Down's awesome, great lyrics, great melody and those rolling, relentless drums are superb. I've been playing it over and over, very hypnotic, very contemplative for Noel, I think this is his most inspired moment on the album.

Bag It Up
The Turning
Shock Of The Lightning
I'm Outta Time
Falling Down
To Be Where There's Life
Soldier On

:drool::drool::drool:

My favourites are tending to be The Turning, Waiting For The Rapture, The Shock of the Lightning, I'm Outta Time, and Falling Down.

allmusic Review 4.5 stars out of 5
Maturity always seemed an alien concept to Oasis. The brothers Gallagher may have worshiped music made before their birth but there was no respect to their love: they stormed the rock & roll kingdom with no regard for anyone outside themselves, a narcissism that made perfect sense when they were young punks, as youth wears rebellion well, but the group's trump card was how their snottiness was leveled by their foundation in classic pop. This delicate balance was thrown out of whack after the phenomenal success of 1995's (What's the Story) Morning Glory?, when the group sunk into a pit of excess that they couldn't completely escape for almost a full decade. When Oasis did begin to re-emerge on 2005's Don't Believe the Truth they sounded like journeymen, purveyors of no-frills rock & roll.

All this makes the wallop of 2008's Dig Out Your Soul all the more bracing. Colorful and dense where Don't Believe the Truth was straightforward, Dig Out Your Soul finds Oasis reconnecting to the churning psychedelic undercurrents in their music, sounds that derive equally from mid-period Beatles and early Verve. This is heavy, murky music, as dense, brutal, and loud as Oasis has ever been, building upon the swagger of Don't Believe and containing not a hint of the hazy drift of their late-'90s records: it's what Be Here Now would have sounded like without the blizzard of cocaine and electronica paranoia. Dig Out Your Soul doesn't have much arrogance, either, as Oasis' strut has mellowed into an off-hand confidence, just like how Noel Gallagher's hero worship has turned into a distinct signature of his own, as his Beatlesque songs sound like nobody else's, not even the Beatles. His only real rival at this thick, surging pop is his brother Liam, who has proven a sturdy, if not especially flashy songwriter with a knack for candied Lennonesque ballads like "I'm Outta Time." To appreciate what Liam does, turn to Gem Archer's "To Be Where There's Life" and Andy Bell's "The Nature of Reality," which are enjoyable enough Oasis-by-numbers, but Liam's numbers resonate, getting stronger with repeated plays, as the best Oasis songs always do.

But, as it always does, Oasis belongs to Noel Gallagher, who pens six of the 11 songs on Dig Out Your Soul, almost every one of them possessing the same sense of inevitability that marked his best early work. Best among these are the titanic stomp of "Waiting for the Rapture" and the quicksilver kaleidoscope of "The Shock of the Lightning," a pair of songs that rank among his best, but the grinding blues-psych of "Bag It Up" and gently cascading "The Turning" aren't far behind, either. These have the large, enveloping melodies so characteristic of this work and what impresses is that he can still make music that sounds not written, but unearthed. These six tunes are Noel's strongest since Morning Glory -- so strong it's hard not to wish he wrote the whole LP himself -- but what's striking about Dig Out Your Soul is how its relentless onslaught of sound proves as enduring as the tunes. This is the sound of a mature yet restless rock band: all the brawn comes from the guitars, all the snarl comes from Liam Gallagher's vocals, who no longer sounds like a young punk but an aged, battered brawler who wears his scars proudly, which is a sentiment that can apply to the band itself. They're now survivors, filling out the vintage threads they've always worn with muscle and unapologetic style.

Stephen Thomas Erlewine

:applaud:

This is not about my musical preferences! :huh: You seem to come into B&C mostly only to put down bands that somebody disappointed with recent U2 likes. Clearly I'm not the only one seeing this.

Oh btw El Mel, what the hell were you talking about when the album leaked, that Bag It Up and Soldier On are bad songs?? Do you still think that? :eyebrow: :wink: I like them. Anyway, this album sounds pretty good so far! :hyper:

Bag it Up is good, but soldier on Is complete diarrhea. It's one of the most boring songs I've ever heard. Also, has anyone else had the misfortune of listening to "Carnation"? Holy rubbish!!!!!!!!!

I like Soldier On. :shrug: I don't know, I think this album is really good, maybe even better than Don't Believe The Truth although I need to give it time to sink in and then see if my opinion changes.

Btw, I don't understand the hate for SOTSOG and Heathen Chemistry. Granted, I don't have those albums in their entirety but the songs I have are all excellent! Go Let It Out, Sunday Morning Call, Who Feels Love, Gas Panic, Fuckin In The Bushes, Little By Little, Hindu Times, Stop Crying Your Heart Out and Songbird. :drool: Is the rest not as good or something? :huh:

Don't Believe The Truth was their comeback album, though. This one is just proving it wasn't a fluke.

As much as I like Don't Believe the Truth, I am really surprised that it is so consistently ranked higher than Heathen Chemistry. The latter is, in my opinion, a consistent and mature collection of songs, superior to both DBtT and Dig Out Your Soul. That being said, DOYS is very strong - especially I'm Outta Time and Falling Down.

Heathen Chemistry has everything that a Oasis fan could desire: the torrid rockers (Hindu Times, Force of Nature), the reflective mid-tempo stomps (Stop Crying Your Heart Out, Little By Little), the frivolous pop gems (Songbird, She Is Love), and even a bit of psychedelia (Born on a Different Cloud). I will always wonder why it does not have more supporters around here.

^ I love Heathen Chemistry. I prefer it to SOTSOG and DBTT. Some of that fondness might have to do with the fact that it was the first Oasis album to come out after I had become a big fan of the band. But, yeah, you got yourself a Heathen Chemistry supporter right here.

Heathen Chemistry is my least favourite Oasis album. But that doesn't mean it's not a strong Oasis album, because it is.

^ I love Heathen Chemistry. I prefer it to SOTSOG and DBTT. Some of that fondness might have to do with the fact that it was the first Oasis album to come out after I had become a big fan of the band. But, yeah, you got yourself a Heathen Chemistry supporter right here.

I love me some Heathen Chemistry. It draws more upon America then their other albums I feel, maybe more in terms of mood than sound, there's something about it.

She Is Love is just quality.....Noel is king on this album, his vocal in Force Of Nature is quite stunning.

Psychadelic/Western sounds......a bit of everything.

It suffers due to the lack of a cohesive vision, as SOTSOG did I reckon.

Is also bloated a little, like Be Here Now.

Is the rest not as good or something? :huh:

HC is a great album. I don't understand why some people dislike it so much either.

As for SOTSOG, well you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. There's only 10 songs on the album and 3 of them really, really aren't finished. Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is basically consists of one verse and then the same two lines repeated over and over again. I Can See A Liar has a brilliant vocal from Liam just lazy lyrics and this weird beeping noise that always reminds me of a minibus reversing. Finally there's Roll It Over which starts off really well but it only has two verses (the second of which could really do with rewriting) yet still the song lasts for SIX AND A HALF MINUTES!

I mean I do like SOTSOG, it just could've been so much better if only they'd tweaked it a little more.

I'm really enjoying Dig Out Your Soul by the way. There's a few songs on it that I just don't 'get' (Get Off Your High Horse Lady is one of them :slant: ) but they might grow on me in time.

I think what keeps HC down a notch from these last two is the end. For me, it runs out of steam after Stop Crying Your Heart Out. And I really dislike Better Man as the final song, although She Is Love isn't too bad.. But yeah, it's definitely not as bad as some critics make it out to be.

I'm really enjoying Dig Out Your Soul by the way. There's a few songs on it that I just don't 'get' (Get Off Your High Horse Lady is one of them :slant: ) but they might grow on me in time.

Get Off Your High Horse Lady is my least favorite song on the new one I think.

Get Off Your High Horse Lady is my least favorite song on the new one I think.

I quite like High Horse - it is simple but the groove just sticks in my head.

As for SotSoG, the reasons why "Let's All Make Believe" and "Carry Us All" were not included in place of filler like "Little James" will never be adequately explained.

I think what keeps HC down a notch from these last two is the end. For me, it runs out of steam after Stop Crying Your Heart Out. And I really dislike Better Man as the final song, although She Is Love isn't too bad.. But yeah, it's definitely not as bad as some critics make it out to be.

No love for Born on a Different Cloud?

i think i'm the only person here that could not stand DBTT.

this new album is great though!

My faves so far are :

Bag it up
Falling down
Im outta time

Falling down is lyrically awesome imo

As for SotSoG, the reasons why "Let's All Make Believe" and "Carry Us All" were not included in place of filler like "Little James" will never be adequately explained.

Apparently Noel didn't want to hurt Liam's feelings/confidence by telling him that Little James was crap. Yep, hard to believe isn't it? I'm guessing they also felt the album needed some rockier songs on it which how dross like PYMWYMI ended up there. Even so with only 10 songs there I think they could've managed to squeeze at least one of those B-sides on there (if not both of them).

i think i'm the only person here that could not stand DBTT.

:yippie: I didn't like it either.

Apparently Noel didn't want to hurt Liam's feelings/confidence by telling him that Little James was crap. Yep, hard to believe isn't it? I'm guessing they also felt the album needed some rockier songs on it which how dross like PYMWYMI ended up there. Even so with only 10 songs there I think they could've managed to squeeze at least one of those B-sides on there (if not both of them).

It's a remarkable thing, the useless "Little James" and the out-of-place "I Can See A Liar" really detract from how great the album could have been.

Swap these two songs for Cigarettes in Hell, One Way Road and Let's All Make Believe, and you've got an album that channels a completely new psyachedelic sound for Oasis. It could've and should've been an amazingly cohesive and vision-capturing album, and might have changed a lot of critics rigid opinion of Oasis.

My ideal SOTSOG tracklisting:

Fuckin' In The Bushes
Go Let It Out
Who Feels Love?
Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is
Full On
I Can See A Liar
Gas Panic
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
Sunday Morning Call
Let's All Make Believe
Roll It Over

11 killer tunes.

I'll grade the albums after giving Heathen Chemistry a listen. Honestly, I've never bothered with it, and the few tracks I have heard haven't been all that great. The Hindu Times is pretty good, but everything else just seems like the bland, sludgy brand of rock they churned out with Be Here Now, and that's certainly not a compliment.

Rest assured, I think the first two are miles above everything else they've done, as much as I've enjoyed DBTT and DOYS.

Its a real shame that I Wanna Live A Dream (In My Record Machine) didn't find a place on DOYS as its one of the best things Noel's written in recent years, its definitely a favourite of mine and certainly more worthy of a place on the album than some of the other songs.

Looking back on the bands output I think that SOTSOG is my least favourite offering. It just seems to lack the energy and spirit which makes the band so exciting. Other than Gas Panic and Where Did It All Go Wrong (I once saw Noel do a brilliant acoustic version of that song) I really can take it or leave it.

The band seemed to take over the UK in the mid-nineties. I remember the whole Oasis v Blur rivalry and the race to number one with either Country House or Roll With It making the evening news, now you don't see that happen very often.

Despite its problems, I prefer Be Here Now. The hype around it in 97 was just insane, there was no way it could have lived up to expectations. There's been big releases in the years since, but none have matched that scale of anticipation. Radiohead and Coldplay are very popular and have both put out eagerly awaited records, but the excitment which surrounded the release of BHN that summer was something else altogether, it was almost tangible. In hindsight I suppose a backlash was inevitable, but tracks like My Big Mouth, Don't Go Away and especially Fade In-Out are killers, I love them and still listen to them reguarly.

HC has its moments too, Stop Crying You Heart Out, Songbird, Hung In A Bad Place, Born On A Different Cloud are all great and Better Man is full of aggression and attitude despite its optimistic message, definitely the best closer since Champagne Supernova IMO.

Back
Top Bottom