Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"We love the ones we can" and "just breathe...I need you" are two very simple but very resonant lines. Skeleton Tree isn't Cave at his most eloquent, but he says precisely what he means to on these songs. There's no wasted space.

I love Nick Cave, but the eloquence can, at times, read as affectation or even histrionics. The minimalist approach, while at times frustratingly ambiguous, can often have its own kind of incidental, natural eloquence. There are stray lines in every song that have a casual poetry about them.

Heyyyyy iYup. Cool to know you thought of me. I listened to it three times through on the 6hr train trip from Venice (omfg so beautiful) to Rome today. Disappointed it didn't come with lyrics (I bought it at France's equivalent of JB HiFi, 'fnac', in Nice (omg, also, so beautiful) but then I guess that fits the bare bones aesthetic of the thing.

The run of I Need You - Distant Sky - Skeleton Tree is absolutely phenomenal. Been moving around a lot so no time to read posts or tweets or reviews but I'm not sure it's as desperately bleak as I've seen it painted in snippets - Distant Sky feels like the 'acceptance' stage of grief and then Skeleton Tree closes things off on a positive note, at the very least musically, if you ask me, which is utterly incredible given the subject matter and short runtime. I need to listen closer, though, I may be wrong on the lyrics.

I think I may grow to like it more than Push the Sky Away, which would be a huge feat as to date that's equal with No More Shall We Part as my favourite NC & Bad Seeds record. First listen I was a little underwhelmed but there's parts to songs like Magneto and Anthrocene that I pulled out on subsequent listens. Also really liked your description of Rings of Saturn, iYup, an astute observation and one I think makes sense, after I was initially a bit shocked to hear synths on a Nick Cave record, particularly on track two after six minutes of heavy drone.

tl;dr - :up::up::up:, I Need You and Distant Sky had me nearly in tears on the first listen, which is quite rare.

Apparently there is a demo out there of the song Skeleton Tree that is much darker than the version on record. I really need to see the accompanying film.

I put off listening until I could hear it on vinyl - holy bloody hell. This album is beautiful, heartbreaking, enthralling, draining, exhilarating, devastating, ethereal.

Girl in Amber and Distant Sky are on repeat at the moment (now I have downloaded it). This album has seriously floored me. Album of the year so far for me.

I can't think of many trios better than I Need You > Distant Sky > Skeleton Tree. This is definitely the sleeper album of 2k16.

The title track is amaaaaazing. And all the more emotional after what precedes it.

Back
Top Bottom