Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Push the Sky Away is truly lovely. It is chill, but not in a specifically piano-driven way. It is an extremely spare album, hushed and vaguely menacing in spots, with lots of great percussion and frugal guitar strumming. We No Who U R is a great example of what you're getting here, though it is one of the weaker tracks. We Real Cool and the hallucinatory Finishing Jubilee Street are brilliant. Along with the new Yo La Tengo and MBV, the best thing to come out so far this year.

Don't compromise your currently musket-free self.

It's on grooveshark, so you don't actually have to download it, but anyway.

Something about Grooveshark has always seemed kinda half-assed and amateurish to me. I don't know, I can't explain it. I just don't really like the site's design at all. I feel it could be more user-friendly.

Oh, it's totally half-assed. The search engine is a disaster and the content is of wildly varying bitrates, but it's free and has a ridiculous selection.

Correction, we pay $3 a month for it, because I'm grandfathered in at the old rate (as I have mentioned so many times now). Without that, I would not be able to use it on my phone, which is the lifeblood of my existence.

Into My Arms is one of the best songs ever. I've had it in my head for a week now and don't want it to leave.

Oh my God, this album is so good. It just begs for successive listens. At first I was slightly thrown by the number of mass culture references and allusions to modern technology - to say nothing of the (deliberately, I assume, based on the delivery) awful opening lines of "Mermaids" and lines similar to it, but it all fits together. The music is incredibly subtle, and I've never been happier to have Warren Ellis around, which is saying something.

It's a shame that I still can't get into Nocturama. I love the second half, for the most part, though, but it interrupts an incredible succession of albums. Let Love In, Murder Ballads, The Boatman's Call, and No More Shall We Part represent such a diverse set of styles, both musically and lyrically. And on the other side, Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus, Dig, Lazarus, Dig!! and Push the Sky Away constitute what is, for me, the most incredible and sustained streak of late career home runs (and again, so diverse and distinctive). And then there are the Grinderman records.

Damn you, Nocturama.

I want to hear so bad. made a promise to myself I wouldn't until I hear the Boatman's call first.

Yeah, he totally has trucker's arm in that painting. :lmao:

So Push the Sky Away and mbv are in a close two-horse race for my favorite album this year. PTSA is fucking fantastic. It's a lyrical masterpiece and takes his music in fascinating new directions. I heard Jubilee Street on the radio tonight, and man, how brilliant is that track? "I'm transforming/I'm flying/I'm glowing/I'm flying/Look at me now" into that psychedelic wash of guitar and viola is just fantastic. :drool: It sounds like a sexy combination of Venus In Furs and Spacemen 3's cover of Transparent Radiation.

PTSA is fucking fantastic. It's a lyrical masterpiece and takes his music in fascinating new directions.

It really is. I am actually listening to it just now. The Jubilee Street - Mermaids - We Real Cool trio is among the best music he's ever made.

Hm, not sure I get that vibe from it. On the Beach is almost buoyant in mood despite the less-than-optimistic lyrical content. Higgs Boson is about as macabre as it comes.

Dude seems like a real misanthrope.

I don't have tickets to see him in a couple of weeks. I feel like I'll come to regret it, but it's over $100.

Oh, okay, the song. I was thinking of something like Vampire Blues. I do love that record.

Back
Top Bottom