New Weezer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New album out today, guys.

Surprisingly, I really dig it. It's not just the same stale power chords over and over for 40 minutes; there's a ton of creativity present. The reviews have been rather poor so far, which surprises me, and what surprises me even more is that Pork And Beans is getting a ton of praise. I think that track is one of the few to really stay in the past (past being 2002, not 1995, unfortunately) and provides little that's new and interesting.

I'd give the album an 8/10 overall.

I enjoyed it quite a bit my first time through as well, LeMeL. The lyrics are admittedly kinda weak on a number of tracks, but overall it's certainly better than Make Believe. Heck, I even like some of the bonus tracks on the deluxe edition better than albums tracks from Make Believe.

I forgot that Brian and Pat both sing lead vocals on the album. Their songs are actually pretty good.

I bought it. Listened to it. And discovered I liked a couple of the "bonus" tracks better than some of the actual tracks. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting after reading a bunch of reviews saying that it's not all power chords, because a lot of it, sadly, is.

Pork and Beans is a cool song, but it's getting so much radio play around here, that I'm not liking it as much anymore.

I'm really on the fence about it - I love the first four or so tracks, but then it fluctuates a lot. It's definitely front-loaded with singles, for better or worse. As for the ever-less-than-stellar lyrics, I do love "Troublemaker," especially this one:

I picked up a guitar
What does it signify?
I'm gonna play some heavy metal riffs
And you will die

I definitely want to check this out, just to see if it's anything I remotely like. The last "new" Weezer song I heard was "Beverly Hills," which I hate hate HATE with the power of a thousand burning suns.

I don't hate it. It's painfully self-conscious, and yes the lyrics are kind of awkward, but a lot of Weezer's songs are kind of iffy in the lyrical department. It'll take some growing.

I agree. :up: I love Weezer but "Pork and Beans" needs to grow on me. "Pork and Beans" reminds of songs from their album, Maladroit, which is a Weezer album that took some time to grow on me.

I definitely want to check this out, just to see if it's anything I remotely like. The last "new" Weezer song I heard was "Beverly Hills," which I hate hate HATE with the power of a thousand burning suns.

The other singles from the album, "Perfect Situation," "We are all on Drugs" and "This is Such a Pity" are far, far, far better.

So, as I am always wont to do, I have pulled together a new mix CD. There will be a second disc, because it's getting to the point that I love so many weezer songs that I can justify another. But this is my version of the ESSENTIAL WEEZER. It is very much singles driven, but they are very much a singles band, especially of late.

My Name is Jonas
Mykel and Carli
Perfect Situation
Hash Pipe
Keep Fishin'
El Scorcho
Photograph
Buddy Holly
Blast Off!
The Greatest Man that Ever Lived (Variations on a Shaker Hymn)
Dope Nose
The Good Life
This is Such a Pity
Say it ain't So
Island in the Sun
Troublemaker
Beverly Hills
We are all on Drugs
Pork and Beans
Burndt Jamb
Pink Triangle
Falling for You
Undone (The Sweater Song)

:scream: I'm having a rather difficult time listening to this album now that I actually know what the lyrics are.

I'm a troublemaker
Never been a faker
Doin' things my own way
And never givin' up

One look in the mirror and i'm tickled pink
I don't give a hoot about what you think

When I was younger
I used to go and tip cows for fun, yeah
Actually I didn't do that
'Cos I didn't want the cow to be sad

But oh, I gotta' be a big boy
Whoa, I gotta' pick up my toys
When I start to feel the feeling comin' over me
I soon forget all about responsibility
I walk around in a wide-awake daydream
Things are better out here than they might seem

:( Can he even be bothered anymore?

It's a good thing this album is about 200 times more creative musically than Make Believe.

You know, I've never worried about the lyrics as much when listening to Weezer. I've never enjoyed them for the lyrics anyway.

I think sometimes if we overanalyze lyrics it takes away from the pleasure of just enjoying the music, at least with a band like them.

I've listened to the red album a few more times and it's grown on me. I still cringe when listening to Heart Songs (although props to Cuomo for starting it off with a Gordon Lightfoot mention), but overall I find it very likable, and I like hearing some of the other members take the lead for a change. It helps to mix it up.

Weezer's lyrics have always been purposefully cheesy. It's their shtick.

Yeah, Heart Songs has absolutely awful lyrics, but I still like the general idea of the song and I can't help but still think it's surprisingly beautiful and heartfelt for how lame the lyrics are.

Weezer's lyrics have always been purposefully cheesy. It's their shtick.

This is true. The lyrics are part of the reason why I love some of these songs (Pork & Beans, Troublemaker, Everybody Get Dangerous, The Greatest Man...) as much as I do. I mean, "because I didn't want the cows to be sad"? That shit is funny. :lol:

Especially love the lyrics in the bridge to EGD.

And what will we say when our kids come to us
And ask with a smile on their face
Hey dad, my friends got some new ninja swords
Is it cool if we smash up this plaaaaaaccccceeeeee?

Fucking rad. :rockon:

I'd much rather listen to lyrics like these than hear Chris Martin sing about trees or something.

I'm only three songs in, and I'm surprised how much I like it ... at least the first three songs. :wink:

I love The Greatest Man - homages to Copland, Elvis and the Beach Boys! What more could you want from a rock band? The song is so bizarre and random, and yet it works as a whole.

Give it a rest, man. You're gay. We get it.

I'll see you in the showers at Alcatraz, buddy.

toshoweryr7.jpg

Aaaaaanyway.

I listened to the rest of the album, and I have to say that the first three songs were the only ones I liked. Oh well.

The Red Album is the inverse of Mary Poppins - perfectly shitty in every way.

I'm not sure which was worse, this or Make Believe. Probably this one because the lyrics are hokier.

Back
Top Bottom