New Sufjan Stevens EP available now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is illegal to buy an anatomically correct inflatable doll in Texas, as I am sure you have already discovered.

Friggin' Texas.

At least it's legal to shoot a wild hog with an assault rifle from a helicopter here.

Bought (legally, mofo, fuck u) Sufjan Stevens invites you to: Come on feel the Illinoise. First time I've listened to Sufjan, so I had no idea what to expect. My first impressions, upon glancing at the back cover and then running time, were that this could possibly be even more pretentious than Bright Eyes.

But I actually really enjoyed it. Hardly a bum note and it wasn't too much of a drag, despite having a run time of approximately 17 hours. My favourite track was probably Chicago, and others I really liked included UFO Sighting, John Wayne, Jacksonville, Casimir Pulaski Day, Metropolis, Predatory Wasp and the last track, Out of Egypt, was a real nice instrumental.

Definitely good stuff :up:

Glad you liked it. Michigan is a very good complement, and I am also fond of Seven Swans. I think you should check these two out before moving on to the electro-experimental-drug-induced fase of Age of Adz and All Delighted People.

His vocals veered near to Ben Gibbard at times but unlike Postal Service and Plans it didn't detract from the overall experience. I will likely check those out, a girl I am in love with says Seven Swans is her fav, so that will probably be next :lol:

It was quite interesting reading through this thread. Some verrrry differing opinions on Age of Adz and the live show. I did actually download (illegally, mofo, fuck u) Age of Adz at the time and recall not getting through it. Strange, as given my tastes you'd think that would be a starting point for me.

Hopefully this new album is good too. The new song didn't do much for me, though.

a girl I am in love with says Seven Swans is her fav, so that will probably be next :lol:

This is my favorite of his. It is a very personal record for me; ties me directly to a specific time and place each time I hear it.

The new album is wonderful. I put several days between my first and second listen and when I came back to it, I remembered the melody of nearly every track. The writing is awesome; Drawn to the Blood in particular is a wealth of great chord changes.

Yeah, he has a wonderful ear for good chord changes. Michigan has a ton of those, if my memory is correct.

Really looking forward to this. The two songs are great, right up my alley.

"Beauty blue eyes, my order of fries" is even more bizarre than the masturbation line.

Then Sudgefan proceeds to chase the dragon in the very next song. I'm not sure he knows what that euphemism means, unless he's gotten into some shit lately.

But mostly the lyrics are about trees, old people and death.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to make of this after one listen. Seems like one of those that needs a while for all its charms to be revealed. I do like the motif of the ambient outros; it gives the whole album a feeling of days passing in terms of wakefulness and dreaming.

I've been listening to it regularly for a few weeks and I think it's his best album. Illinois is his most ambitious, but I don't play it all the way through very often. Carrie & Lowell is so honest and thematically heavy, but it has great melodies and an approachable runtime.

I'm supposed to get it tomorrow, it's been tough to wait to hear this.

I get the feeling when I listen to his new album that I had when listening to the last Timber Timbre album. Finding a beautiful album and listening to it non stop.

My copy hasn't arrived yet, but I listened to Seven Swans a couple times. It's not as much of a slog to get through as Illinoise but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much. Some good songs though - Devil's Territory, Sister, Dress Looks Nice on You, The Transfiguration.

My copy hasn't arrived yet, but I listened to Seven Swans a couple times. It's not as much of a slog to get through as Illinoise but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much. Some good songs though - Devil's Territory, Sister, Dress Looks Nice on You, The Transfiguration.

The title track u crazay mf.

New album made me try and think of my favorite Sufjan songs. This is what I got, in loose order:

Casimir Pulaski Day
Impossible Soul
Chicago
The Transfiguration
Seven Swans
I Want to Be Well
The Dress Looks Nice On You
John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
Oh Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! (Rebuild! Restore! Reconsider!)
Heirloom
Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois
You are the Blood
Flint (For The Unemployed)
All Delighted People (Original)
Jacksonville

'Fourth of July' is beautiful.

Having lost my own mother earlier this year, the lyrics really resonate with me.

The Pitchfork write-up for their review is surprisingly excellent. I liked the idea of going back to some of his older songs and getting a better sense of their lyrics based on the story he tells in the new record.

Back
Top Bottom