New Sufjan Stevens EP available now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sufjan, follow your heart
Follow the flame, or fall on the floor
Sufjan, the panic inside
The murdering ghost that you cannot ignore

Vesuvius, fire of fire
Follow me now, as I ?

Follow me now, or follow ?
Why does it have to be so hard?

You're gonna love it.

I think at this point the album is my favorite since the one about the swans. I'm a sucker for breakup albums.

Very happy with his releases this year - still need to listen to Adz a bit more, but I loved All Delighted People. If his albums remain this consistent, then I couldn't care less if they're not about Idaho or Rhode Island.

Wha?! That sucks! What happened?

Doing an advanced Pilates exercise. Lost my balance, fell off the Reformer, stumped my toe, got back on the machine and noticed my 2nd toe was at a right angle. :|

Now if somebody were to ask me what I would do if I noticed that my toe was at a right angle, I would reply that I would probably vomit and/or faint.

But as it turns out, apparently I'm the type who calmly reaches down, puts the toe back in place, and drives herself to Urgent Care (using the foot with the broken toe).

I remember we talked once about being afraid to exercise when a concert or other important event is on the horizon. Now we know our fears are justified.

I probably could have driven to Denver today, but I also had to go to a funeral this morning so it was a hell of a week. No one extremely close to me, but someone I know through work, and it is a very very sad story.

:sad:

Anyway, the show was off the charts amazing, right? I spent hours answering emails last night after I posted my ticket for sale. That was one hot ticket and I sold it for face value + fees, of course.

Uggh, well that's terrible. Sorry about the toe and the funeral, sounds like a rough week!

Yeah, I've been a bit hesitant to post my feelings about the show, as I didn't want to rub things in since I knew you were missing them today. Show was sold out here as well. I went with 7 friends. 4 said it was the best show they've seen all year. 1 had never even heard Sufjan Stevens before, but said it was the most enjoyable concert he'd seen in ages, and then asked me what albums to buy. I had a blast, it was a ton of fun, and a fantastic performance in general. I had high expectations to begin with, but the show was definitely better than I ever thought it would be.

We had an almost identical setlist to what Imperor posted (one extra new song in the main set than what he got, one less old song in the encore, and we heard an extended version of Jacksonville instead of two he mentioned). I already liked the new album and EP, but I thought the songs worked even better live. The crowd reaction was pretty much night and day different than what some of the early shows mentioned here were like. Sure, the Illinois tracks still received the biggest response, but everyone seemed familiar with the new material, and were even singing and dancing along to most everything. Huge applause for each and every track, etc.

They were selling physical versions of the new EP already (aren't released to stores until next month), so I picked one of those up. :up:

That's great, mofo. :up: No need to hold back. After Impy's review I knew it was going to be stunning.

I figured part of the early disappointment with the show was that people hadn't heard the new record yet and I knew that would change as the tour moved along. I hadn't heard The Suburbs yet when I saw Arcade Fire but they played all the old favorites so it didn't matter, and the new stuff rocked anyway, but I would have been crushed not to have heard anything I recognized until the encores so I can appreciate the Toronto people's response.

Maybe he'll add more shows later that I can catch although I'm not holding my breath.

And after driving around this morning, there's no way I could have driven to Denver and negotiated parking and then walking God knows how far to the venue and possibly standing through the show. No way. That would have been insane, in fact.

Just listened to it for a second time. After the first listen I didn't really like anything. It was more of a wtf is this? But the second listen was much better. Except for a few songs, especially Now That I'm Older, I loved it. Impossible Soul does seem too repetitive and I don't understand the use of autotune but there are some fantastic parts. There really is a lot going on so I'm definitly gonna listen to it a lot more.

I just came back from Sufjan's last concert of the tour and I had a blast. The band was super tight and the new songs all sound even better live. All Delighted People, I Want to Be Well and Impossible Soul are now among the best songs I've ever seen at a concert. The crowd was really into it throughout the show despite him playing basically only new songs (Seven Swans and a funky Chicago being the exception). And I can't fail to mention the amazing stage setup and 3D images with the screen. Cool stuff. Sufjan's neew age persona was really funny and I laughed at all the costumed changes. A great great show, and really different from the last time I saw him (last year). Sufjan is not fucking around.

You know, gang, the percussion in the first leg of "Impossible Soul" makes for some of the best musical moments of the year.

I really wish someone would make a shorter edit of that song and include only the first leg. It would be my favourite track without the garbage that follows it

The only thing that annoys me about the song is the autotune. I just don't get the point of it.

I went to see him last night. It was amazing but now I'm pissed off because I looked at Imp's setlist and we didn't get an encore, he just came out at the end and did Chicago. I thought he was doing it as a nice gesture to make up for the fact he hadn't played in Adelaide before, but I was clearly wrong. Goddamn, I wanted me some Casimir. Otherwise I believe the setlist was identical. I'm interested that he played All Delighted People at gump's show, that's probably my favourite of the songs he released last year.

Still wonderful, though. I can't believe how well Impossible Soul worked out. Just a fantastic concert and I want him to come back soon.

I didn't notice people leaving or anything, but the resounding laughter once the auto-tune bit in "Impossible Soul" kicked in was a telltale sign.

We got this too, but not as loudly as I was expecting. Also, he was really talky, which was nice.

Sufjan Stevens announces new album Carrie & Lowell | Consequence of Sound

screen-shot-2015-01-12-at-9-18-17-am.png

Spanning 12 tracks, the album will see Stevens returning to his “folk roots,” according to a press release. The title is named after his mother and stepfather and, as such, themes include “life and death, love and loss, and the artist’s struggle to make sense of the beauty and ugliness of love.”

Carrie & Lowell Tracklist:
01. Death With Dignity
02. Should Have Known Better
03. All of Me Wants All of You
04. Drawn to the Blood
05. Fourth of July
06. The Only Thing
07. Carrie & Lowell
08. Eugene
09. John My Beloved
10. No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross
11. Blue Bucket of Gold

I haven't heard Michigan in a couple of years and before that only a handful of times over the span of several years, but listening now I can hum along to every track on this like I heard it yesterday. That, to me, is a sign of great songwriting. Illinois has higher peaks but I'm more likely to listen to this one straight through.

Bought (legally, mofo, fuck u) Sufjan Stevens invites you to: Come on feel the Illinoise. First time I've listened to Sufjan, so I had no idea what to expect. My first impressions, upon glancing at the back cover and then running time, were that this could possibly be even more pretentious than Bright Eyes.

But I actually really enjoyed it. Hardly a bum note and it wasn't too much of a drag, despite having a run time of approximately 17 hours. My favourite track was probably Chicago, and others I really liked included UFO Sighting, John Wayne, Jacksonville, Casimir Pulaski Day, Metropolis, Predatory Wasp and the last track, Out of Egypt, was a real nice instrumental.

Definitely good stuff :up:

Back
Top Bottom