new Sonic Youth- The Eternal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2jer

The Fly
New Sonic Youth 'The Eternal' leaked already (it's out June 9). It's really good, more jammy than the last one 'Rather Ripped'. Kim, Lee, and Thurston all sing a little bit on it. Production and mixing is awesome too- feels live but dynamic. It'll be in my 2009 top 10 for sure!

:drool: A leak, you say? I will return.

P.S. Rather Ripped was fantastic. That is one damn fine set of songs, even if it's not exactly the kind of sound/structure the band is known best for.

Yup, it's out there. Supposedly it's a webrip, but the quality is really good.

I like Rather Ripped, it's my go to SY when I want some good songs and less experimentation.

Gave it a listen, and definitely enjoyed it greatly (middling sound quality aside). Sonic Youth continues to deliver...they are one of the few bands that is actually still very much vital 25-30 years into their career. The Eternal is vintage Sonic Youth, great riffs, gorgeous ambient jams, and prodding lyricism. I can't wait to hear this in higher quality. For the record, I currently prefer Rather Ripped, but that could change.

Best track: Antenna

How are you feeling about it a few months later, LeMeL? I saw them last night, and am assuming they played a number of tracks from this album, as there were quite a few I didn't remotely recognize. Anyone else heard it an can weigh in as well?

It was a free show (Twilight Concert Series) and my first time seeing them, and I had an absolute blast. Pretty crazy that they can still sound so great and be so entertaining this far into their career for that type of a band. They did 2 encores and the second was entirely from Daydream Nation, which was aweosme (no Teenage Riot unfortunately). They seemed to turn up the volume for both encores, as I had to put in ear plugs and was still wincing during the encores. Great show, they really delivered.

I think with The Eternal they're getting closer to the perfect Sonic Youth album
that's not saying it's their most inspired but that it shows everything they're great at

I saw them in Philadelphia last month and managed to get in the front row right in front of Lee. They played The Eternal in its entirety, plus Catholic Block, Death Valley '69, The Sprawl :drool: , 'Cross the Breeze, and Silver Rocket. It was only the fourth show of the tour, so they were still a little sloppy, and Thurston screwed up two or three songs and they had to restart them, which was funny, but it was still pretty amazing.

I think The Eternal blows Rather Ripped out of the water. Nearly all of my favorite bands had or have new albums coming out this year, and I figured I'd have a hard time picking the strongest album, but this is definitely holding up really well. Antenna and What We Know are instant classics to me, and there wasn't a song that sounded worse live.

It looks like they'll be touring mainly in the western half of the U.S. and in Europe in the fall, but I'll definitely catch them next time they come out this way. They've become one of those bands I have no problems driving three or four hours to go see.

How are you feeling about it a few months later, LeMeL? I saw them last night, and am assuming they played a number of tracks from this album, as there were quite a few I didn't remotely recognize. Anyone else heard it an can weigh in as well?

Personally, I still prefer Rather Ripped, as I feel the hooks on that one are stronger and there are fewer (very well placed) lengthy songs, which gives it a more streamlined feel and even pacing. That said, The Eternal is a great listen, an impressive distillation of everything the band does well, and I actually feel it gets better as it goes. Poison Arrow and Walkin Blue are worth wading through a slightly weaker middle portion.

Oh, and they are indeed an extremely accomplished live act. Saw them open for the Flaming Lips back in 2006, and I was blown away. All I really wanted to hear at the time was Teen Age Riot, which they did perform (it opened the show), but that was just the tip of the iceberg.

Thanks for the impressions, guys (and gal). Sounds like I may have to pick it up.

Picked up Goo and Dirty at a used store last night. I've heard both in the past, but didn't own either. The concert has me on a Sonic Youth kick.

Dirty is the one SY album I have that I really can't get into. I love Drunken Butterfly, but I'm lukewarm about the rest. Goo is fabulous, though. My favorite SY albums are probably Daydream Nation, Sonic Nurse, Washing Machine, and The Eternal, in that order.

I finally picked up Bad Moon Rising and Confusion Is Sex/Kill Yr Idols a few weeks ago when I was in Philadelphia, but I haven't gotten around to listening to them yet. My neighbors probably need a little more time to get used to me before I break out anything that noisy :wink:

Back
Top Bottom