New Smashing Pumpkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeman

Refugee
Smashing Pumpkins share new single “Being Beige” — listen | Consequence of Sound

Well now I've been inlove with these guys ever since the video for 'siva' melted my eyeballs and Gish blew up my eardrums in sophomore year of high school. And then Siamese Dream came out the summer after graduation and totally kicked my pimply ass off into college and THEN Mellon Collie came out and yards yadda yadda...

As you can tell, I've hand a long and often repeated history with Billy Corgan and company, and I can honestly say that I almost always find something on his albums that I revisit. With the exception of FuturEmbrace - maybe I should revisit that one - they all offer something. I loved all that Machina stuff. Zwan was fantastic. I even like some of zeitgeist (especially that tune 'ma belle'). And most especially that Oceania album. Woah. Good stuff!

I think what really resonates with me about WPC's music is his melodic sense and his dynamic sense. A commenter on some web page likened this new tune to lost EP American Gothic. Musically, I agree. Sonically, it's closer for me to Untitled- minus Jimmy Chamberlain's frantic muscle. In his place Tommy Lee lays down a musical and dynamic drum part that holds it own. I like it. Might be a better album closer than opener, but now I'm just splitting hairs.

I found Being Beige underwhelming to be honest. Doing nothing for me.

I thought Being Beige was the title of the first single from Songs of Innocence

0.jpg

Its OK, nothing earthshattering. Most interesting thing is Tommy Lee playing drums. Perhaps with Motley calling it quits, Lee will tour with the Pumpkins next year, would give them the kick that was lacking last tour with no Jimmy Chamberlain.

Not terrible... might be better than most of Oceania on a first listen. I am looking forward to seeing what they quality of his songwriting is on these two albums though, based on the interviews I've seen.

Can Billy really think that this is even half as good as his work in the 90s? It doesn't even stand up against the songs that were never officially released, or were relegated to b-sides. It sounds awful, but nothing could have saved this song.

Underwhelmed by this new material....I mean, everything since the "reformation" of this band has been terrible with the exception of Oceania which was pretty listenable even if it covered a lot of very familiar ground.

Zeitgeist was so fucking terrible.

Underwhelmed by this new material....I mean, everything since the "reformation" of this band has been terrible with the exception of Oceania which was pretty listenable even if it covered a lot of very familiar ground.

Zeitgeist was so fucking terrible.

Tarantula was a great song!.......but yeah, lots of filler on Zeitgeist. I mean what do you expect from an album containing an image of Paris Hilton?!

Back
Top Bottom