New Manic Street Preachers Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Not sure how many Manics fans are still hanging around Bang and Clatter, but here's some news for you...

There's a note posted on the Manics' official website saying that they are working on a new album right now with Steve Albini. What's surprising to me is that they are using lyrics written by Richey before he disappeared, saying that it finally feels like the right time to record these songs. Working titles are "Journal for Plague Lovers" and "I Know I Believe in Nothing but It Is My Nothing," and the album is tentatively scheduled for release next April or May.

I have to say, this sounds extremely intriguing.

I love Manics, particularly the first 3 albums they did with Richey. Not as fond of their more commercial stuff since although 'Send Away the Tigers' was a very promising album proving they still have lots more to give. I think they are one of the last truly unique rock n' roll bands, can't wait to hear what this will be like.

Can't help but think that the music will have to be like their early albums, the song titles sound like they would fit on Generation Terrorists.

I'm not a big fan of Send Away the Tigers, but I'm a huge Lifeblood and This is my Truth... lover. I still have to seriously check out their older stuff.

^ Really do. The Holy Bible is probably the darkest, bleakest rock album ever written.

I'm not a big fan of Send Away the Tigers
That makes two of us. I thought it was pure shit the first couple times I listened to it, but I semi-enjoyed it the last time I heard it so hopefully my feelings will change. I'm not entirely sure if I think using Richey's lyrics is cool or lame and grasping at straws at this point. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not a big fan of Send Away the Tigers, but I'm a huge Lifeblood and This is my Truth... lover. I still have to seriously check out their older stuff.

It makes sense to me that if you're not familiar with their older stuff, Send Away the Tigers wouldn't exactly be your favorite. Of their last few albums, I think it's the one that most hearkens back to their earliest music and moves away from the more mature sounds of Lifeblood and This Is My Truth.

Definitely check out their older stuff if you have the chance, though, especially The Holy Bible. It's probably my favorite album ever, and I mean that sincerely. Their first two albums, Generation Terrorists and Gold Against the Soul, are worthy acquisitions too, and they'll definitely introduce you to their harder, more punk roots, which I think will also explain a lot of Send Away the Tigers for you.

:)

I've been very curious about this. I've been a sort of passive Manics fan for years, but I finally picked up the Holy Bible this summer and it changed my entire opinion on them. "Yes" is the most raw thing I think I've ever heard. I also loved "Send Away the Tigers," and of course "Everything Must Go," but the other albums don't do quite as much for me. As a singles band, though, they're probably the best band since the Smiths.

What's the best place to start if I wants to get into these Manic Street Preachers? It seems that the Holy Bible might be their most acclaimed album? Thanks!

What's the best place to start if I wants to get into these Manic Street Preachers? It seems that the Holy Bible might be their most acclaimed album? Thanks!

I always go for a "best of" if there's one.:reject: You get some songs you know and some you don't. If you love some songs then chances are you'll like the album it's from.

Go for Gold Against the Soul, great album - perfect bridge between the glamour of Generation Terrorists and the nihilism of Holy Bible.

Go for Gold Against the Soul, great album - perfect bridge between the glamour of Generation Terrorists and the nihilism of Holy Bible.

Apparently that album is heartily disliked by hardcore Manic fans and the band itself, but I've always though it hugely underrated.

Roses in the Hospital has always been a favourite of mine.

Apparently that album is heartily disliked by hardcore Manic fans and the band itself, but I've always though it hugely underrated.

Really? I'd never heard that anywhere. Oh well, Holy Bible aside its probably my favourite Manics album - full of really strong track - Sleepflower is amazing, From Despair to Where, La Tristesse - classic tracks that they still play live. Plus the guitarwork on it is amazing; I remember playing along to this album loads when I was getting to grips with playing guitar.

The Holy Bible is their best album, but to me it's still a musical anomaly. The singles from Generation Terrorists and Gold Against the Soul, especially songs like "Little Baby Nothing" and "La Tristesse Durera" seem more like the band that went on to make Everything Must Go (Another GREAT starting point) than the band that made the Holy Bible before it.

i don't like this idea of using Richie's lyrics. it's not fair they are promoting themselves like that.

In regards to Gold Against the Soul, while it's not one of my favs of their by any means, it does have a number of great tracks. Aside from the great tracks that have already been mentioned, 'Yourself' is one of my favorites and sounds like it could have been on The Holy Bible. 'Life Becoming a Landslide' is probably one of my overall favorite MSP songs in general. Love that one.

The Holy Bible is far and away my favorite of their albums as well, but I agree with UL that it's not very representative of what the rest of the band's work is like.

I'm listening to Send Away The Tigers right now and it's 100x better than I remember it. Not sure what I was thinking last year.

Maybe you had different expectations of Send Away the Tigers? That or you channelled Pitchfork subconsciously:p

I'm going to have to second the idea of starting with the greatest hits if you want to get into the Manics. Their greatest hits collection, Forever Delayed, is pretty middle of the road for them--not too punk, plenty of hits, several different styles. I started out by buying it, and now I own all their albums and then some. :reject:

And whatAday, you're not the first person to suggest the Manics are somehow exploiting Richey by using his lyrics, but I have to disagree. Considering that the band still maintains a bank account with all of Richey's royalties in it in the hopes that one day he will come back, I don't think there's anything shady going on here. My guess is that finally enough time has passed that they feel comfortable going back to some of those lyrics and seeing what kind of music they can make for them, maybe even as a way of honoring Richey.

I never would have guessed there were any more of Richey's lyrics left, figuring they must have used them all on Everything Must Go. I trust that the other band members love Richey enough not to use his lyrics if some kind of harm or exploitation will result.

At the end of the day Richey's image and lyrics are the band's heritage, it made them what they are, so I think there should be no problems using left-over lyrics. As long as the album rocks it should all be okay!

I'm going to have to second the idea of starting with the greatest hits if you want to get into the Manics. Their greatest hits collection, Forever Delayed, is pretty middle of the road for them--not too punk, plenty of hits, several different styles. I started out by buying it, and now I own all their albums and then some. :reject:

And whatAday, you're not the first person to suggest the Manics are somehow exploiting Richey by using his lyrics, but I have to disagree. Considering that the band still maintains a bank account with all of Richey's royalties in it in the hopes that one day he will come back, I don't think there's anything shady going on here. My guess is that finally enough time has passed that they feel comfortable going back to some of those lyrics and seeing what kind of music they can make for them, maybe even as a way of honoring Richey.

I never would have guessed there were any more of Richey's lyrics left, figuring they must have used them all on Everything Must Go. I trust that the other band members love Richey enough not to use his lyrics if some kind of harm or exploitation will result.

perhaps you're right.

I just bought The Holy Bible a couple of days ago, really great album :drool:. I already had Everything Must Go which is good but Holy Bible slays it. The first two songs are brilliance :drool:

My plan of purchasing Forever Delayed has been... forever delayed. I only have Send Away The Tigers and really like that one!

Back
Top Bottom