New Interpol!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From my experience of pestering mates to get into them (best band of the Noughties for mine), it is Banks vocal turns a lot of people off immediately, even on their most accessible songs, Evil, Slow Hands and Heinrich. The response is usually, "I can't listen to that, the guy can't sing", even though I find his voice to be most beautiful.

That's one of the things that disappoints me with the new album (and even some of the last album). Banks just doesnt sing the same way anymore. His new style is in a slightly higher register with a weird dual track effect going on. I much prefer is old, monotone singing. It lent itself to the music much more.

And thanks for posting those videos, mofo. I'm terrible at remembering to watch TV shows and sure enough, forgot to watch this even after seeing a reminder at 10pm

Yeah, you saved me having to describe it, Jive. These days, Banks sounds like he actually wants to be heard. He projects and shit. That transition worked OK for Michael Stipe because he has a pleasant voice. Banks, on the other hand, is more of a presence than a skilled vocalist, so the music loses a chunk of its mystique with him working against his own instincts (and common sense) to be a...charismatic post-punk frontman. I'm more positive than ever that that there is no such thing.

I just didn't want to stay up that late to watch it, ha. I'm posting them so I remember to watch them after work.

I agree about the vocals. I also think his lyrics have gone down the toilet since Antics for the most part.

Strangely, I got into Love to Admire really quickly, though everyone was saying that Interpol's music is very difficult to access. I still love the album and I'm curious about seeing them perform live in Rome when they'll open for U2. BUT I have to admit I find their new album rather boring. It doesn't do much for me. There's nothing that really stands out. I just don't feel the music here and the singing also gets annoying with time.

I forgot that I should buy this album! I should do that tonight, especially since I just bought a ticket to their last-minute show in Brooklyn tomorrow night. :wink:

Well, listened to it about 3 times...

Safe Without and Memory Serves are doing nothing for me, and I am not as yet awestruck (as I usually am by Interpol) by songs that are nevertheless enjoyable such as Success, All Of The Ways, Try It On and Always Malaise.

The Undoing is an early highlight, and Summer Well is all of the brilliance of the live clip I've been devouring and more. The lyrics resonate with me so profoundly, which may be clouding the objectivity of my assessment of the song.

I have faith that this will be a grower.

I kinda agree with the sentiment in regards to Banksy's vocal, and I do in some ways yearn for the stammer of PDA or murmur of Leif Erikson, but I still extract enjoyment out of listening to his new vocals.

There is actually a very glowing review of the album going around, can't remember who it was, but it wasn't a major publication. Will try and find it

There is actually a very glowing review of the album going around, can't remember who it was, but it wasn't a major publication. Will try and find it

That's not a good sign when there is literally only one glowing review for an album, and you have to do a lot of work to find said review.

Though I usually hate a Pitchfork write up and think the score is more than a little harsh, this line pretty much sums up the feeling of the record
"The whole thing sounds like the eighth day of an endless party where everyone's already slept together, burned themselves out on drugs that used to be fun..."
I still enjoy the album, but it definitely feels a little worn out

It seems like I'm the only one who really likes this album.
Everywhere the reactions are pretty negative and that's an understatement.

I do like it. There are songs on it that I really like, but as a whole, it just seems a little flat.

I do like it. There are songs on it that I really like, but as a whole, it just seems a little flat.

Agreed. Despite my negativity, I like it as well. I'm probably a bit overly critical with Interpol, as I love the bands first two albums so much. That said, a "bad" album from Interpol is still better than a "good" album from a large number of other bands.

Album is a grower, but I'm inclined to enjoy anything Interpol release, because they just really click with me, but Safe Without is just a downright song.

The Undoing is all sorts of awesome.

Anyone else seeing them in the next month or two? I'm pretty much exactly a month away, starting to get excited. Listened through the "new" album again this week for the first time in a while, liked it considerably more than I had remembered.

They're playing in Toronto in February, but I loath the venue and just saw them a few months back, so I might skip this one. The show I did see was really good. Just before the album was released. I did miss Carlos though :(

I had to google that one. Even after seeing where it was from, it wasn't until watching the youtube clip that it all came back

lol, and now I'm picturing you saying it all teary eyed

Anyone else seeing them in the next month or two? I'm pretty much exactly a month away, starting to get excited. Listened through the "new" album again this week for the first time in a while, liked it considerably more than I had remembered.

I'm seeing them on July 5th. They're opening for a pack of fat old Irish drunks that are traveling around playing songs underneath a gigantic glowing crab.

I'm seeing them on July 5th. They're opening for a pack of fat old Irish drunks that are traveling around playing songs underneath a gigantic glowing crab.

Uggh, I keep forgetting they're opening as well, as it makes the insult that is The Fray all the worse.

I had to google that one. Even after seeing where it was from, it wasn't until watching the youtube clip that it all came back

lol, and now I'm picturing you saying it all teary eyed

I should add that, in my mind, you look like Val Kilmer in Tombstone

Hey, you guys ever quote yourself on Interference before?

I saw them play Melbourne last Friday night, after doing the NYE festival circuit in Australia.

Gig was at the Palace Theatre, one of my favorite Melbourne venues, which is an old ramshackle venue in the heart of the city that has a certain charm about it... When the crowd was jumping, the floor was wobbling, felt like it was gonna give way!

Incredible gig, Barricade disappoints live, but Lights was a highlight, and really is the monster live moment the studio version promised it to be.

They played Leif Erikson, which made me very happy, particularly as it's not a staple and didn't feature at the previous gig in Sydney.

Take You On A Cruise and The New also got a run, which was good for me personally as they didn't feature in the set when I last saw them back in '08.

Only two songs from OLTA (Mammoth, Chemistry), no C'Mere or Untitled.

Banksy really looked to be enjoying himself. No Carlos, and while I miss his presence, I still felt like I got more than my money's worth. Top show.

They're playing here tonight, and I still don't have a ticket. I'm sorta on the fence about going, as I'm feeling really tired after not sleeping well post-Super Bowl stomach abuse. I've seen them 3 times before already. Should I still go so I can prove I'm a "real fan"?

Also, if I do go, is "woo-ing" appropriate behavior? Please respond to this question in great detail. Thank you.

DUE TO A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, TONIGHT'S PERFORMANCE HAS BEEN POSTPONED. RESCHEDULED DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON. ALL ORIGINAL TICKETS WILL BE HONORED FOR NEW DATE.

:huh:

I still await in depth details on my woo-ing question for the future show though, thanks in advance.

Pitchfork: Dave Pajo Leaves Interpol

I'm probably the only person who's disappointed by this. Really wish they wouldn't have canceled for someone being sick here a few weeks ago, as I won't get to see him when they reschedule. :down:

Not leaving because of any sort of problems, just doesn't want to tour any more. Understandable considering how long he's been active, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom