New Interpol!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked that.

I'm picking up the new Robyn tomorrow - might as well snag this one too. What the hell.

They should've let me shoot their album cover though, because it's hideous.

Cori, did you ever hear the bonus track from Our Love to Admire? :drool: Probably one of the best songs they've done

I like both of those from the new one as well, JT. Memory Serves was the one track I liked instantly on the first time through.

I gave the album another listen today, still feeling more or less the same. It's faaarrrrr easier to listen to all the way through than Love to Admire. Always Malaise is probably the only song I don't care for, I like most everything else.

Really not too enthused by this on first listen, but apparently that's the norm. I prefer the second half to the first, likely because I prefer the more atmospheric TOTBL to Antics (which is still very good), the latter of which is all over Interpol's first half. The bigger problem though, one that transcends mood and tempo, is that the songs just aren't that memorable. The second half stands out more to me, even without the singles, just because its atmosphere made an impression of some kind.

I'll give it a couple more chances. Not bad on first listen, but TOTBL and Antics are so good that this just doesn't cut it for me.

There were about five songs I enjoyed/genuinely liked on the first spin, so I suppose this album demands a second listen, but I was a little sad-disappointed.

Yeah, it's sort of a weird album. Even though I like it more as an album than Love to Admire, I'm far more disappointed by it than I was that album. Even the "standouts" don't really stand out.

It's getting brutalized in reviews from what I've seen so far. Spin gave it a 5/10, and that's presently the best score for it I've seen... Even more strange, I agree with the vast majority of a Spin review. :huh:

Well, coming from someone who has never really been a fan of the band, I was pleasantly surprised by the album. It is inconsistent, but I think that it's at least worth a listen.

At least it's a lot more interesting than OLTA even though some songs just don't quite get there. I'm glad they stopped trying to be popular. The only true single on the album is Barricade.

At least it's a lot more interesting than OLTA even though some songs just don't quite get there.

That's still up for debate for some of us I think. I greatly prefer the theme and sound of this album more, and find it far easier to listen to from start to finish, but I still think Love To Admire has far more standout memorable tracks. :huh:

Regardless of all the negative comments and press, if you're an Interpol fan, you'll probably still enjoy this. It's not terrible by any means, it's just not nearly as good as most were hoping.

That's what I meant by the "some songs don't quite get there".
I think OLTA has better songs overal but Interpol is just more interesting sonically, not as direct.

I'm thinking that "Lights" might be the best song that I've heard from them.

You know what? I was listening to the album on the way home from work today and was thinking that Lights is up there with some of their better songs. Maybe not their best, but it's still a solid tune

Rythym

What's Carlos D up to these days? Apparently he had "his foot out the door" as far back as 2007.

They are playing Jimmy Kimmel tonight...

The new album is growing on me, but its still my least favorite Interpol album at this point...I really liked Our Love To Admire

Haven't heard the album in full yet (buying the CD today), but Interpol aren't really an accessible band by any measure.

From my experience of pestering mates to get into them (best band of the Noughties for mine), it is Banks vocal turns a lot of people off immediately, even on their most accessible songs, Evil, Slow Hands and Heinrich. The response is usually, "I can't listen to that, the guy can't sing", even though I find his voice to be most beautiful.

Sucks, I love my Interpol. Meanwhile, the squeaky and unpleasant croak of the poor-man's Eddie Vedder from Kings Of Leon, gets adoration from these same people I try to convert.

yeah, that is pretty fucked up. that followill bloke has a shocking voice, but Interpol's singer on some tracks ain't great either.

Narc has always been my favourite of theirs.

Picked up the 2 disc 45rpm version. I like the album. I have to pick up another copy though because I dropped one of the discs on my turntable arm and scratched it. Oh the highs and lows of vinyl.

Back
Top Bottom