New Interpol!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The last thing I filmed with my phone was Lindsey Buckingham performing "Big Love"...I watch it every now and again, which was why I filmed it in the first place.

I love the douche-whistlers who fancy themselves as "journalists", and push to the front to take three dozen pictures in a 5 minute time frame with the world's brightest flash, blinding everyone else who'd waited patiently to get their spot. I've had fantasies of grabbing their cameras and throwing them as far towards the back of the crowd as I can and then just turning back to the show without saying anything. Not even jail can stop me.

My conclusive opinion on this album is it's fantastic. It's a form record - consistent, energetic and with some genuine tunes.

All the Rage Back Home is a classic single; Anywhere and Ancient Ways are top rock songs; My Desire, Same Town, New Story and Tidal Wave all lock into a wonderful groove. The rest of the songs are solid and enjoyable enough to carry the album through to conclusion.

A band reinvigorated. Four stars.

I'll never forget seeing them open for U2 back in 2010. They were boring and the audience was underwhelmed. I really felt that everything I liked on their albums totally got lost in that live setting. I've never seen them play smaller venues, but I guess they're better there. It's the fate of most of U2's support bands to not come across very well in a stadium environment.

I wish people would stop paying attention to that silly website.

Ridiculous review. Spent more time on the band themselves and their history than the album.

That is the formula. They so very often only seem to start addressing the album itself and the songs after the halfway mark of the review. Odd approach,

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

the band, not just this album, got absolutely savaged by Pitchfork in their review.

This is maybe the worst-written review I've ever read on Pitchfork. The author goes so far as to suggest Turn on the Bright Lights was only well-received because of 9/11. When you start attributing cultural movements to 9/11, you've officially run out of ideas as a writer and might as well hang it up.

Now you've done it iYup. I have to read it now for the same reason one wants to watch The Room.

Popmatters gave it an 8, if that makes any of you feel better.

Established, popular indie bands get crap reviews on Pitchfork, guyz. Their writers ARE that predictable.

That review reminded me a bit of their article on NLOTH, which reviewed U2 and not the album itself. I hate when they do that.

What annoyed me was he pretty much shat on Bright Lights as well. He seemed to be saying that if hadn't come out the year it did it would be a terrible album. The whole thing was just smug garbage.

Yeah just spectacular bullshit. Why commission a review to someone who so clearly has an axe to grind?

My conclusive opinion on this album is it's fantastic. It's a form record - consistent, energetic and with some genuine tunes.

All the Rage Back Home is a classic single; Anywhere and Ancient Ways are top rock songs; My Desire, Same Town, New Story and Tidal Wave all lock into a wonderful groove. The rest of the songs are solid and enjoyable enough to carry the album through to conclusion.

A band reinvigorated. Four stars.

my thoughts exactly :up:

Not all web hits are good. Pitchfork is practically begging for a challenger to usurp them at this point; the more of these bullshit reviews they post, the easier they make it for that to happen. I'm sure probably all of us here already have sites we favor over Pitchfork; I sure as hell do.

Not all web hits are good. Pitchfork is practically begging for a challenger to usurp them at this point; the more of these bullshit reviews they post, the easier they make it for that to happen. I'm sure probably all of us here already have sites we favor over Pitchfork; I sure as hell do.
No one seems to care about the long game anymore. The chase for page hits only incentivizes writers and the like to worry about today.

Drowned in Sound :drool:

My favorite part about the above site? User Scores posted next to the reviewer's score.

And they also gave El Pintor a 9/10, so that's a big plus in my book.

AV Club is my favorite.

People will probably laugh at this, but I like Anthony Fantano a lot as well. He's great for left-field recommendations I would never have heard of otherwise.

I can't stand the AV Club. At least for film and television. They are so far up their own ass, it's ridiculous. It's not really their reviews I don't always care for, though, it's some of their round-table discussion type stories. There are other things I absolutely love, Like Undercover, but even that's kinda marred by the host, who seems to think that everyone doing these covers is doing them ironically and couldn't possibly like the artists. I especially enjoyed him getting schooled a few weeks ago when someone covered "In A Big Country" and he tried to insinuate that the band couldn't seriously like the band, to which he was promptly proved wrong.

Oh shit, :lol:, I thought I was in the U2 LP thread and couldn't believe they were going to name another song Desire :doh:....too much Blue Crack for one day.

Back
Top Bottom