New Girl Talk in 2010?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guess what got released (FOR FREE!!!) this morning?

GIRL TALK - ALL DAY - ILLEGAL ART

banana.gif

Download without remorse, Scumbo!

I do agree with Ashley...it feels like a lot of the grit and raw cacophonous dissonance is gone. Probably due to the fact that most of the samples are largely unaltered, other than tempo, and just two or three placed on top of each other.

It's gotten much better since "This is the Remix" though, but, yeah, It's not the crazy jumble of insanity that the last was.

I'm about halfway through and I don't think I've ever had this much fun listening to an album. My God, it flows so well that even songs I hate sound amazing.

Just reminded me to finish up my thoughts on it.

I really did NOT like the last two tracks at all.

The biggest problem I had with the album is that it featured too many long sections of just two songs mixed together with random beats thrown in. Where the last album's ending brought me goosebumps with how awesomely epic it was, this one just left me bored.

It's still Girl Talk, it's still fun, but I think I'll return to it far less frequently than I did FTA.

It's gotten much better since "This is the Remix" though, but, yeah, It's not the crazy jumble of insanity that the last was.

And, thus, I love it. He gives the songs a lot of room to breathe. They go somewhere, they build to culminate in something or other. And the song choices are great, so the longer they go on, the better. I love Feed The Animals, everyone knows that, but this record flows better. Reminds me of Night Ripper in that sense, which I know you weren't all that fond of either. That being said, the supreme lack of editing makes this record feel a bit lazier than its quality deserves, and it certainly isn't as gutsy or ambitious as its predecessor. I'm overthinking it though: I absolutely had a great time with this Girl Talk album, like I always do. I've given his last three albums a 4/5 on RYM for a reason.

Jump On Stage is the best track by default. You can't beat Big Boi rapping over Sour Times and ODB over Creep (definite lol moment). You just can't.

You mentioned the editing on this one, and that was something else I noticed. There were some incredibly sloppy edits on this album. Ones that even I, someone who's not really all that much of an audiophile, noticed.

I listened to it on his myspace, so it sounded pretty shitty regardless. :lol: From what I could tell, the transitions were definitely less elaborate. He didn't need to dress them up as much though, because the songs he chose fit together a little better than those on Feed The Animals. He works way less with pitch on this one too, as Cassie mentioned.

But, most of all, it's FUN!

I knew when I saw the sample list that this more rap n' indie record was going to be a bit tricky for you. :slant: But hey, maybe this album will absorb your brain like FTA did and you'll feel a bit closer to these less familiar songs in time. It's possible.

Going through All Day right now.

It's pretty decent, and the less frenetic tempo is nice. Who didn't melt a little inside when that beat blended right into 'In Your Eyes'? THAT is the perfect Girl Talk moment. This is definitely something that you can throw on in the early morning, and not an early morning party. This shit can get pretty downtempo.

A bit upset that the album almost completely sidesteps the current electro-influenced, Dr. Luke-authored radio pop wave. What a lush sonic bed for layering classic hip-hop tracks over. :(

I think that mashup culture (not talking about sampling for producing rap) peaked when Feed the Animals was released. It's now on the slow ride down the other side of the hill. Feed the Animals was this guy's masterstroke, there's no denying that.

That, and there are only so many pop culture touchstones to sample out there. Feed the Animals used up a shit-ton of material.

"In Your Eyes" was my favorite part as well, but I thought I was being biased because I love that song so much.

The more and more I get into this record the more I realize I dislike it because there are no fucking crescendos. FTA was great because even though the sections were so short, it all built up to something magnificent on every track for a few fleeting seconds.

Back
Top Bottom