New Fiona Apple Album Spring 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought Criminal's was widely considered one of the finest videos of the decade. Why distance yourself from something artful and beloved? :shrug:

She got the video she asked for.

She was nineteen years old and new to the music industry, she probably just didn't understand that it was a bad idea until it was too late.

She's in her thirties now and has written so many more brilliant songs than Criminal. I remember at one of her shows a guy yelled out a request for it and she replied, "Yeah, yeah, yeah...I'll play it...later." She sounded annoyed, it was pretty funny.

Although, not nearly as funny as the guy at another show who yelled, "Yes! Hit after hit!" while she was playing the opening notes of Get Gone on the piano.

God, I hope she tours again someday. I love Fiona shows.

...the hell is this?

Link
Only sorta. And not because Brion didn’t try — he certainly played his share of silly acoustic guitar licks and kept up the spontaneous, “Hey, I didn’t even plan anything cause I’m a genius!” affect from his solo show. But it didn’t really matter, because although Apple and Brion spent at least half the set arguing over what song to play next, flipping through notebooks, and eating yogurt, Apple still managed to overpower the theatrics with a vocal performance that I will not soon forget. The woman standing on the stage at the Largo bore almost no resemblance to the Fiona Apple of my adolescence — she was much, much thinner — nearly skeletal — she wore a vaguely Arabian green silk dress and a massive orange wrap that had been lined with sparkles. More importantly, the voice had changed — Apple’s voice on Tidal was deep and carried an air of contempt. The new Apple had less power, but as she sang through a series of very old covers — the sort of songs that are played on 45s in stores that only sell very expensive mid-century modern furniture — her voice bent and cracked and warbled in perfect synchronicity with the lyrics. (At one point, a fan requested new material. "I can't remember [how to play] any of my new songs because they've been done for a fucking year," Apple replied. "Not her fault!" said Brion.) By the third song, I was actively rooting against the past. This new Fiona Apple was so much better, so much more nuanced and thoughtful. At some point, she sang Cliff Edwards’ “Night Owl” with that massive orange wrap tightly secured around her shoulders. When she got to the chorus, “I’m a night owl,” she widened her eyes and spread out her arms, revealing the sparkly lining underneath, and flapped a few times.

Girl needs to start anonymously dropping USB drives around LA, if she's stuck in another extraordinary machine

Looks like she's heading back on the road this spring. Hopefully this means there's an album coming up somewhat soon. Though when it comes to her, who knows.

03/15 – Austin, TX @ Central Presbyterian Church (SXSW)
03/19 – Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall
03/21 – Washington, DC @ Sixth and I
03/23 – Brooklyn, NY @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
03/24 – Atlantic City, NJ @ Music Box
03/26 – New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom
03/27 – Boston, MA @ Royale

awwwww yeah
Link
For her new album, Fiona Apple is harkening back to her When the Pawn... days (if you recall, the full title of that album is an eight-line poem). The title of the new record is a mouthful:

The Idler Wheel is wiser than the Driver of the Screw, and Whipping Cords will serve you more than Ropes will ever do.

In case you didn't catch it the first time:

The Idler Wheel is wiser than the Driver of the Screw, and Whipping Cords will serve you more than Ropes will ever do.

Epic is aiming to release the record in late June. In the meanwhile, she'll play a series of U.S. live dates, including a stop at Pitchfork's Official SXSW Showcase on March 15.

June!

Hope she tours the UK. Her gigs are worth the price of admission just to see how she handles mobile phone abusers.

Don't get up to use the restroom, either.

Charley Drayton (producer) commented on Fiona's FB the other day that "The 'Wheel' is one hell of a ride!"

"Let’s pretend we’re eight years old playing hooky
I’ll draw on the wall and you can play UFC rookie
Then we’ll go take our clothes off
and you remind me that I wanted you to kiss me
when we find some time alone"

I'm so happy she hasn't changed.

The SXSW performance of Anything We Want got me really enthused. Nice P4K photo:

30e55c85.JPG

On the AWW video linked through laz's post, I love her intensity as she's singing. I posted her cover of Costello's I Want You in a RMT thread a while back and Fiona's just bringing it then too.

....edited to add, I love how the thread title is now almost right.

I'm not crazy about the bangs but I'm loving Anything We Want.

The founder of the 2005 Free Fiona campaign met her after the Chicago show last night.

Looks like she's getting a little friendlier with the fans, anyway.

freefiona-1.jpg

June 26, 2012

01 Every Single Night
02 Daredevil
03 Valentine
04 Jonathan
05 Left Alone
06 Werewolf
07 Periphery
08 Regret
09 Anything We Want
10 Hot Knife

c89ad9fd09cd48b6a966d45.png

The album release has apparently been bumped up a week to June 19th.

Welcome | The Official Fiona Apple site

6/19 Ithaca, NY
6/20 Baltimore, MD
6/22 Mashantucket, CT
6/23 Holyoke, MA
6/24 New York, NY
6/26 Washington, DC
6/27 Upper Darby, PA
6/29 Danbury, CT
6/30 Boston, MA
7/1 Portland, ME
7/3 Montreal, QC
7/4 Toronto, ON
7/6 Cleveland Heights, OH
7/7 Detroit, MI
7/10 Chicago, IL
7/11 Indianapolis, IN
7/13 Nashville, TN
7/14 St. Louis, MO
7/16 Minneapolis, MN
7/17 Kansas City, MO
7/20 Denver, CO
7/21 Salt Lake City, UT
7/24 Vancouver, BC
7/25 Seattle, WA
7/26 Portland, OR
7/28 Oakland, CA
7/29 Hollywood, CA

That is a great song. A whisper can be so much more effective than a scream.

I've been replaying it a lot, and it sounds like a great lead off track- a lot of energy coiling up, but it doesn't release. Wonder if the second song Daredevil is a bit more of a rocker.

Back
Top Bottom