Neon Indian - Era Extraña

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really liked "Fallout" and am definitely looking forward to this album. The tracks that I have heard from it thus far seem like they are rather far removed from chillwave - quite a bit darker and more sinister.

First listen was quite enjoyable. Not sure there are any high points quite on the level of Psychic Chasms' best moments, but very consistent. Given some of the comments I've read about it being a bit darker (like iron yuppie's above), I kind of expected some hints of chillwave's darker cousin, witch house, but it seems dark in a different way to that.

Good stuff, especially if you're already a fan of Washed Out or Toro Y Moi.

Speaking of Toro Y Moi, this year he keeps moving further away from chillwave and closer to, uh, Jamiroquai worship.

just a really fun album. my wife even liked it which is saying a lot....trust me.

Like this WAY more than the debut, which, as well know (right, you guys do catalog everything I say, right? ) I wasn't very fond of at all.

Still probably won't ever see him live again. I guess my temperament just isn't really suited to non-stop seizure lights.

Now you have me curious about Witch House.

It's largely not a very good scene, but I recommend Vagina Vangi. Don't let the name dissuade you (though actually I only listened in the first place because of it); the first EP, Benighted United, is probably the best straight-up witch house release I've heard, while the second EP, Locked Forever, brings a fair amount of synth pop into the mix but is just as good.

Salem also have some good moments on the album King Night, especially Redlights, but also some dreadful moments.

Take me from these arcade blues, I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do :heart: :bonodrum:

Hooked on that and Hex Girlfriend at the moment. Album's really grown on me strongly the last week or two.

Still probably won't ever see him live again. I guess my temperament just isn't really suited to non-stop seizure lights.

Really? He absolutely killed here in January, really intense show in one of Melbourne's nicer clubs (Should've Taken Acid With You was totally transformed; Ephemeral Artery was thunderous). I don't recall any "non-stop seizure lights", and I'm particularly averse to strong lighting at gigs due to the state of my vision; I'm all about venues where there's minimal stage lighting.

(though actually I only listened in the first place because of it)

Really? He absolutely killed here in January, really intense show in one of Melbourne's nicer clubs (Should've Taken Acid With You was totally transformed; Ephemeral Artery was thunderous). I don't recall any "non-stop seizure lights", and I'm particularly averse to strong lighting at gigs due to the state of my vision; I'm all about venues where there's minimal stage lighting.

That made me laugh really hard for some reason.

Yeah, we saw him in a theater in January of...2010? And he had some insane flashing lights. I tried closing my eyes and I could see the flashes through my eyelids even still. It made me really agitated and feel really sick. Honestly don't remember much of the show as a result, except for that. I know the couple of songs by him I liked went over for me really well though, I just couldn't stand to even look when those lights were on.

The seizure lights had an extended appearance at the end of one song. Don't remember him using them much beyond that though.

His visuals had a really cool homemade look to them that was a refreshing change from the usual Windows Media Player DJ shit. And, of course, Terminally Chill and Deadbeat Summer slayed. Psychic Chasms is a gem.

He only played for like 40 minutes, and I feel like they were on for the entire ending of the concert. Maybe you and I are remembering differently because the lights didn't bother you as much.

You totally need to live in Melbourne rather than SleepyMcSleepsville.

My disappointment has faded and I do very much like this album now. Thick fucking beats. Suns Irrupt is my favorite after two listens.

Haha, I'm glad Adelaide didn't get shafted again.

... baffled that he's going to the Gold Coast. Poor guy.

I'm not sure going to Hobart to play a gig for three people is exactly a viable commercial proposition, though.

Back
Top Bottom