My vote for single of the year 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how have The Killers, or Coldplay for that matter, claimed to not be "manufactured"? i don't understand what "full of artifice means." and, even if The Killers (or Coldplay) are as "manufactured" as Girls Aloud, comparing their music is incomprehensible. do Girls Aloud write their own songs? probably not. do they record the music for their songs? definitely not. are any of their songs about something other than the basic-pop-music-boy-girl-bullshit? no. i like a few Girls Aloud songs, but comparing them to rock n' roll bands with any substance, such as The Killers (or Coldplay even) is ludicrous.

Your ideas of substance mean nothing to me. Any musical enterprise involving more than one person is a joint enterprise. Hence, it is of no importance that Girls Alouds input into song writing is minimal. The Pet Shop Boys, one of the greatest pop bands of the last 25 years, wrote Girls Aloud latest single. What does tell you?

How many songs did Elvis Presley write?

Coldplay did a version of Call The Shots, they've even got them to support them on their latest tour. I think U2 should do a live version of Sound Of The Underground, because that's a great pop song.

And someone mentioned something about their singing. Well at least they do sing live which is more than what I can say about some other pop groups. They sang Brocken Strings live with James Morrison just before Christmas and that was pretty impressive. Lets not forget that they were put together on one of those Pop Idol type shows where they were judged on their singing. Plus they have integrity which even some rock bands or classically trained singers don't have.

A few other songs I liked this year:
Denial (Sugababes) similar type of pop songs to Girls Aloud. Both groups have just released more old style motown songs towards the end of the year. But they still consider themselves to be pop singers. There's no pretension of "we are RnB singers". (Unlike some other "singers" we can mention)
Hometown Glory (Adel) she has a great velvety voice.

Oh man, that Sam Sparro song is AWESOME. Pity the rest of the album wasn't nearly as good.

True, but just for that song I will hold out hope he makes a great album of pop...he has a great voice.

Coldplay did a version of Call The Shots, they've even got them to support them on their latest tour. I think U2 should do a live version of Sound Of The Underground, because that's a great pop song.

And someone mentioned something about their singing. Well at least they do sing live which is more than what I can say about some other pop groups. They sang Brocken Strings live with James Morrison just before Christmas and that was pretty impressive. Lets not forget that they were put together on one of those Pop Idol type shows where they were judged on their singing. Plus they have integrity which even some rock bands or classically trained singers don't have.

A few other songs I liked this year:
Denial (Sugababes) similar type of pop songs to Girls Aloud. Both groups have just released more old style motown songs towards the end of the year. But they still consider themselves to be pop singers. There's no pretension of "we are RnB singers". (Unlike some other "singers" we can mention)
Hometown Glory (Adel) she has a great velvety voice.

Girls Aloud have always been rubbish. The major positive about them is the way the look

The only song i like by them is love machine - everything else just doesnt do it for me.

Oh and on integrity, Cheryl Cole was convicted for racially abusing a black bouncer at a nighclub soon after they got famous
And she married Cashley Cole

Nadine does all the singing anyway, she should go solo. They could just manage to write a sentence between them let alone a whole song. Rock is always going to be superior

The only X Factor/pop idol person i have time for is Will Young as he CAN sing and his tunes are quality

If GA supported U2 i'd hope U2 fans would have the decency to boo or bottle them off the stage!

Ahh I just put two and two together...figures.

Like Jay Z was wrong for glasto
GA is wrong for a rock concert

Ok i was going OTT with the bottling remark but booing and jeering would be fine
Violence should only be a last resort in any situation in life!

The last time i saw a band get bottled was the support act for Oasis - to be fair they were terrible and it was a little funny as one hit the drumkit in the middle of a song

Oh man, that Sam Sparro song is AWESOME. Pity the rest of the album wasn't nearly as good.

Coincidentally, that song just came on the radio when I was looking at this thread.
I switched to some YouTube video, as it's doing nothing for me.

So that song doesn't get my vote.

GA is wrong for a rock concert

It was good to see Jay-Z play Glastonbury. Not a bad choice.
So applying your logic to this, GA is good for a rock concert. Which is true, as U2 have been doing GA again in the U.S.A. since the Elevation Tour (and never stopped doing GA in Europe).
(and oh, Girls Aloud might be good to on a rock stage, though they wouldn't be my first choice)

/quote]

I like Noel, as I said before he wouldn't belittle himself and spoil Liam's integrity as a singer and record with a pop (rnb lite) screecher with delusions of grandeuor just so he can get a higher chart position (unlike what U2 did a couple of years ago). Thus ruining his respect. And I do agree most of what he says, but he was wrong about Jay Z. Did you not watch the crowds reaction when he came onstage and he sang Wonderwall? Did you not see the mass smiling happy faces during his set? They loved it.

/quote]

I like Noel, as I said before he wouldn't belittle himself and spoil Liam's integrity as a singer and record with a pop (rnb lite) screecher with delusions of grandeuor just so he can get a higher chart position (unlike what U2 did a couple of years ago). Thus ruining his respect. And I do agree most of what he says, but he was wrong about Jay Z. Did you not watch the crowds reaction when he came onstage and he sang Wonderwall? Did you not see the mass smiling happy faces during his set? They loved it.

Its beacuse they were scared that if they booed (like they wanted to) it would have been seen as racist. He was total rubbish. The guy would not know a good song if it hit him in the face, unless he is ruining some by rapping all over them

I hope Glasto fails every year - mass rain and mud - sound problems etc

Unless Oasis or U2 turn up ofcourse

That just sounds extremely petty, Jay Z is a decent big name artist...and from what I could tell the majority of people at it loved it. Fine you don't like rap but don't claim to know what most of the other people there were feeling. If they didn't want to watch Jay Z plenty other acts were going on at the same time that they could have went to see.

I know Alphabeat's album came out in Denmark in 2007, but the UK only got it in 2008 as well as the singles...and personally they make me really really happy and dance funny:hyper:

YouTube - Fascination - Alphabeat (Official Music Video)

That was a lot of fun! I watched the other videos too. I'd never heard of them!

But this was the best single of the year...

YouTube - Sam Sparro - Black and Gold

Never heard of this guy either. The song didn't do too much for me, although it's clearly inspired by Puttin' On The Ritz. ;)

Where do you people hear of these artists? :lol:

Rock is always going to be superior

lol the typical rock is better than pop argument. There is nothing wrong with great pop music done right. No need to compare with Rock.

If GA supported U2 i'd hope U2 fans would have the decency to boo or bottle them off the stage!

You hope they have the decency to bottle them??? I don't think it's decent to even boo. It's incredibly disrespectful to the artist, somebody who actually has the balls to be up there. Even if I hate the artist's music I don't think I could boo. I would just try not to be there, unless it's a festival or something.

I hope Glasto fails every year - mass rain and mud - sound problems etc

You have some strong eyebrow-raising opinions, mate! :huh:

That was a lot of fun! I watched the other videos too. I'd never heard of them!

Never heard of this guy either. The song didn't do too much for me, although it's clearly inspired by Puttin' On The Ritz. ;)

Where do you people hear of these artists? :lol:

These songs were pretty big hits this year on the radio if not on the charts, though Fascination did get to 6 I think in the charts...

They were pretty popular songs:shrug:

Guess the US charts must be really bad:hmm:

These songs were pretty big hits this year on the radio if not on the charts, though Fascination did get to 6 I think in the charts...

They were pretty popular songs:shrug:

Guess the US charts must be really bad:hmm:

Haha the US charts, as far as I know have been filled with hip hop/R&B/silly pop like Ne-yo, Kanye/Estelle (which I liked), Katy Perry, Pink etc. But maybe they played Alphabeat here a lot and I've been living under a rock. But I doubt it. :p

Ah no worries the charts here are filled with much the same, just the odd time we get a bit of europop thrown in!

It was refreshing to hear some 80s style male and female pop vocals for a change. Reminded me of Roxette. :reject::wink:

how about to make it like this:

you need to vote for the single posted above (1- worst, 10-best) a then type your one favourite single of 2008.

i'll start.

Keane - Spiralling 10/10!

:huh: Really? Can you elaborate? Why do you think of Puttin' On the Ritz when you hear Black and Gold?

I heard of Sam Sparro through the Popjustice website, which is how I find out about a lot of UK pop bands/artists I never would have otherwise heard of.

how about to make it like this:

you need to vote for the single posted above (1- worst, 10-best) a then type your one favourite single of 2008.

i'll start.

Keane - Spiralling 10/10!

^ 8.5 / 10

Lost! - Coldplay (10/10)
Live Your Life - TI feat. Rihanna (10/10)

Back
Top Bottom