My top ten picks for the JJJ hottest 100

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm indifferent to Haim. They're just... well, generally fairly bland and unremarkable. Don't know how they've polled so strongly.

London Grammar I feel like I should enjoy more than I do. The vocalist has a great voice, and they make some cool downtempo-ish music, but they just don't quite achieve greatness.

Prior to this I had never heard of The Preatures but I don't like the similarity of their name to one of my all time favourite bands.

It's like being at a nightclub where everyone has poisoned themselves and you're the only one who hasn't.

Safe to say the top five is now going to be Do I Wanna Know, Royals, Get Lucky, Riptide, and whatever that Chet Faker and Flume song is called.

Fucking hope Riptide doesn't win. Out of those five I'd prefer Royals to emerge #1.

Aaaaand here's a timely reminder why Flume and Chet Faker are both massively over-rated.

I'll never forget when I saw Washed Out and Toro y Moi last year and EVERYBODY talked through Chet Faker's opening set. About three months later I'm pretty sure every wanker there was all "hurrr I saw Chet Faker before he was famous" and FUCK YOU because you thought he was shit boring at the time.

I really don't mind the Arctic Monkeys but if they're the sort of band getting a ridiculous amount of hype and attention then today's popular rock music really is slim pickings.

The NME have pretty much rendered their own opinions useless after their ridiculous fawning over the band.

I'm stunned the Arctic Monkeys have become big again. I figured they were on the same slow descent into utter shite like every other band that became big off a mid-2000s debut. I'd perhaps like them more if they could spell "are" and "you" correctly.

"Get Lucky" is another song I don't mind but I don't see the greatness. Having a catchy hook doesn't inherently mean a song's good; I mean, I get Taio Cruz's "Hangover" stuck in my head all the fucking time just by somebody mentioning that they're hungover and that song's a huge sack of shit.

I reckon this is one of those big hit songs that will define a year but seem dated and awkward in a decade.

I've put on "The Dead Heart" by the Oils, as a pertinent reminder both that Australian music hasn't always been passionless strummy cardboard bullshit and that it's Invasion Day SHITCUNT STRAYA MATE.

You know, though I don't love everything they recorded, you look at the scope and ambition of a band like Midnight Oil, or even Hunters and Collecters at times, and you wonder. What happened?

You have to blast Truganini at full volume, and My Country, and Blue Sky Mining, and Redneck Wonderland if you get angry enough. :up:

You know, though I don't love everything they recorded, you look at the scope and ambition of a band like Midnight Oil, or even Hunters and Collecters at times, and you wonder. What happened?

Admittedly, this is something I think about a lot.

You'd think some with that description would emerge further into the Abbott regime.

"Warakurna" is where it's at, people.

Honestly it feels like all the bands with something to say are stuck in the underground right now, creating sounds just a bit too harsh or challenging to crack something like the Jays, let alone the mainstream.

Somebody on RYM just pointed out that nothing by The Drones made it. Now there's a band with the kind of ambition and passion we're talking about (even if I don't love everything they've done). Come the fuck on Australia, champion a band who have something to actually say.

Admittedly, this is something I think about a lot.

You'd think some with that description would emerge further into the Abbott regime.

We had eleven years of a Howard government and little to show for it (the high water mark was probably the immediate lead-up when it was a virtual inevitability, and the early period when knocking it off still seemed a likelihood).

Somebody on RYM just pointed out that nothing by The Drones made it. Now there's a band with the kind of ambition and passion we're talking about (even if I don't love everything they've done). Come the fuck on Australia, champion a band who have something to actually say.

The Drones represent the polar opposite of everything on this list.

As unrealistic as it is, I'd really, really love to be part of a band with those characteristics while I'm still quite young. Given the fact I'm teaching myself the guitar right now it doesn't seem quite as farfetched as it used to.

We had eleven years of a Howard government and little to show for it (the high water mark was probably the immediate lead-up when it was a virtual inevitability, and the early period when knocking it off still seemed a likelihood).

Yeah, true, you can't really draw parallels with the UK in that respect, where the Thatcher era gave birth to artists who were charged with ambition.

different times, I think.

This is part of it; whether they acknowledged it out loud or not, or whether they were comfortable with it or not, a lot of those late seventies through late eighties bands and artists were still operating in a world where political movements and political thought had some purchase. And notions of community. And this holds true of artists who might have rejected all of that; it was still something to bounce off.

Nowadays... single-issue stuff aside... I'm not so sure. There are good as well as bad things in that, of course. Speaking personally, as a deeply reclusive and contained person, I'm not comfortable with movements. But you need some place to stand, some point of view, to come up with anything more interesting than 'Abbott sucks' (christ, even his close colleages probably agree he sucks; he's a passenger in his own government).

Could anyone really name a political artist who also happen to have some sort of fame? Ignoring the veterans (ie. pre-90s), of course.

Back
Top Bottom