My Morning Jacket 6-10-08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't want to get anyone (or interference) in trouble, but the entire album leaked this morning.

If you decide to download, don't forget to support MMJ by purchasing the album June 10th :yes:

It's only 128 kbps, so I was reluctant to listen to it. I like my first listens to be in lossless or at least a really high bitrate. I couldn't resist for this one, though.

Six songs in and I've enjoyed every one. "Highly Suspicious" is so, so cool.

I've heard the title track which is amazing, the instrumentation is very MMJ, but Jim James sounds so different.

You barely recognize ole Jimmy on this one.

I still haven't listened to the whole thing, though. I got as far as Sec Walkin before I decided to wait for better audio quality.

Just think, if this was 1987 we'd be buying the cassette and it would sound like shit.

I'll be back, I've got an evil urge to go download something.

The OOTS said:
Yikes!
This isn't the MMJ I've grown to love.
What's with the weird falsettos and the funky soul beats??

Double Yikes!! Maybe it needs to soak in.....

This is not Wilco. This is not Sky Blue Sky.

This is My Morning Jacket. This is better.

I am seriously LOVING this shit.

What fucking BALLS.

lazarus said:
I am seriously LOVING this shit.

What fucking BALLS.

Why do you have to quote Lance's Mom everywhere you go?

Seriously, give it a rest.

I can't wait to torrent this cracking album.

The OOTS said:
Yikes!
This isn't the MMJ I've grown to love.
What's with the weird falsettos and the funky soul beats??

Double Yikes!! Maybe it needs to soak in.....

There's only falsetto dominating 2 tracks, the title track, and the piss poor "Highly Suspicious."

After that it kinda settles into a nice progression from Z.

phanan said:
I think I'll wait for a better quality version.

There is a high quality rip out there.

I may have jumped the gun a bit. While the first 3 songs are 'different' from classic MMJ, I agree the album settles into more of the MMJ style. I can't help but think of some of the songs sound like mediocre Flaming Lips knockoffs. I still think it's nowhere near previous efforts. Having seen MMJ live and enjoying most of their studio stuff, I really had high hopes for this record.

Highly Suspicious is horrid. I think that originally made me think WTF? on first listen.

Last edited:
Obviously this album is going to separate the true believers from the people that want to put MMJ in a box. I'm liking this a lot better than Z, which had a few great songs but as a whole was rather unsubstantial.

Highly Suspicious is awesome. I love that the band isn't afraid of recording a WTF song that is going to alienate people.

I first heard of MMJ when they opened for the “Doves”. There progression as a band is amazing. I do enjoy Evil Urges. I was one of the first to hear most these songs live in Houston TX. But at the same time, the mystery that was in Tennessee Fire, At Dawn & It Still Moves is not there for me in Z or this album. By mystery, I mean the stuff that made you really get lost in their music.

I do enjoy Urges more than Z though. And Highly Suspicious works live and have just been a B-side. Feels like I'm listening to the "Weird Science" soundtrack.

Yes, Highly Suspicious is truly awesome. Peanut butter pudding surprise, indeed.

But there's no high quality rip out there. 192 kbps is definitely not high quality. I was thinking more along the lines of VBR or even a nice lossless.

Think you can guide me, ootsy? It's not on what.cd, and that's really the only place I ever look for anything since it's just as good as OiNK was. I've ran a blog search for that VBR but I didn't have any luck.

The only MMJ album I've heard is Z, which I like a LOT. If I like that one, will I like this one? I'm definitely curious to hear it.

It's a little weirder than Z for the first few songs, but settles down. I'd suggest going backwards first to It Still Moves.

Of course, when it's free...

The OOTS said:
It's on Waffles, impy.

Poppycock. I wasn't able to get an account there.

I guess it'll show up on What in due time, then.

And laz, the 192 I've found is 78 mb.

I just read somewhere that Jim James' idea for this album was to recreate and re-introduce many different genres of music. I think the album does that very well.

I hear these influences:

Touch me pt1 ... Flaming Lips
Highly Suspicious .. Prince/funk
Thank You Too ... 70s Eagles
Too Halves ... 50s rock n' roll/ Doo-wop
Librarian ... Folk
Aluminum Park ... Springsteen
Remnants ... Pearl Jam-ish
Touch me pt 2 ... Disco beats

Back
Top Bottom