Music suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowlock

Refugee
So something interesting with NLOTH happened this year.. It didn't send me off into the exclusive world of rediscovering U2's music for the next 12 months like past releases did. And now I'm looking for new stuff to listen to.

Maybe based on my preferences, I would be lucky enough to have some people give me a few suggestions?

I'm kind of varied in my tastes, but not overly so. It probably could be broken down into categories and I'm a pretty black and white listener, I either like something or I hate it. So anyway, I like:

- UK rock: U2, Coldplay, The Killers (US I know but UK influenced), Oasis, Muse, Sting (if you'll allow the stretch to put him in a rock category), "Bends"-Era Radiohead; don't much care for UK alternative though like The Cure, Editors, etc

- US Mainstream pop/rock of the 80's: Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Paul Simon, The Black Crows first two albums (even though they don't technically fit here, don't know where else to put them); Don't like much of their later offerings and would be shy to try them once again (except Bruce)

- Late 80's Hair Metal - Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, GNR, Tesla, Poison, Buckcherry (a 00's hair metal immitator)

- Early to mid 90's "Alternative" - Pearl Jam, Soul Asylum, Alice In Chains, Green Day, Counting Crows; But don't really care for any of these bands work after 1997.

- Alt Country - Son Volt, Whiskeytown, Uncle Tupelo.. All the bands that are as dead and gone as late 80's hair metal :-(

- 80's Alternative - The Replacements, pre-"Out Of Time" REM.

I'm kind of over Punk and don't really want to go back there again, so the new Green Day album holds little interest... Not that that's really punk anyway.

Strong Dislikes:

-Adult Top-40; John Mayer, Dave Matthews et al.
- New American "alternative" like King of Leon, White Stripes, Plain White Tees
- Hate nu metal like Daughtry, Hinder etc. If it sounds like a cross between Creed and Live I don't like it.

So I guess I'm pretty much a traditional rock and roll guy. Any new bands ya'll know of that may fit me?

Doves, Doves and more Doves

also, if you're really willing to stretch out of your comfort zone, check out Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavillion.

Doves, Doves and more Doves

also, if you're really willing to stretch out of your comfort zone, check out Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavillion.

What are the doves like?

Animal Collective.. experimental? I don't really have a comfort zone, I like trying new stuff. I may go running back to the old though... Experimentation just for the sake of it like Sufjan Stevens doesn't do much for me. But new sounds and new song structures I'm always up for.

Its just that, I went through the original 80's alternative period as it was happening so a lot of things I hear people claim are new, I'm like "hmmm, that's just remixed Bauhouse"

I concur on the Doves. Start out with their first album and work your way through there. All their albums are pretty solid, and their new one is great, IMO.

Experimentation just for the sake of it like Sufjan Stevens doesn't do much for me.

Personally, I think Animal Collective are much more "for the sake of it" than Sufjan (hell, I love Sufjan) but who knows, it may be worth checking out MPP. It has converted a number of people.

Don't know if you listen to them already, but Husker Du, Aztec Camera, Minutemen and Pixies will do you good to go in your eighties alternative section, for a start. Pretty much a goldmine there. And I don't know what limits you have with early-mid 90's alternative (that term is kinda redundant) but you might like Swervedriver, Flying Saucer Attack, My Bloody Valentine, Lilys, Mudhoney, Sugar, Telescopes, Moose and Catherine Wheel. I mean, there's seriously a lot of stuff. Hope any one of these can help you.

What are the doves like?

Animal Collective.. experimental? I don't really have a comfort zone, I like trying new stuff. I may go running back to the old though... Experimentation just for the sake of it like Sufjan Stevens doesn't do much for me. But new sounds and new song structures I'm always up for.

Its just that, I went through the original 80's alternative period as it was happening so a lot of things I hear people claim are new, I'm like "hmmm, that's just remixed Bauhouse"

Doves have been one of my top 5 bands since Lost Souls came out in 2000. i still scratch my head sometimes why Coldplay got so big and Doves did not. but i would classify them under the UK rock genre. they're amazing!

as far as Animal Collective, it's very experimental. you may have an epileptic seizure the first time you listen to them though.

I concur on the Doves. Start out with their first album and work your way through there. All their albums are pretty solid, and their new one is great, IMO.

we should just turn this into a Doves Appreciation Thread, lol!

yes, their new album is awesome! the bonus tracks are quite solid as well.

One of my disappointments with NLOTH was that there was less of a Moroccan influence than I thought there may have ended up being.

So, while not Moroccan per se, if you want to stretch out of your comfort zone, try these guys, they've been namechecked by Bono, Chris Martin, Peter Gabriel, Robert Plant (there's a poor youtube video out there of them doing whole lotta love with Robert Plant), and play them loud.

Tinariwen on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Thanks for the recommendations so far, I'm definately going to be trying a few of these. Listened to Amazon.com snippets of the doves, I'll be giving them a try. Animal Collective is kind of been there done that for me though.

The National sounds interesting, they're on the list.

Cannot stand Peter Gabriel. He fits, I know. And its a good recommendation given my list, and he's very talented. But I hate him.

Sad Punk: Husker, Pixies, Swerve Driver, Mudhoney et al... I was buying these albums as they were released late 80's/early 90's were my glory days. I actually didn't start liking heavy metal until the early 00's; first out of revery and later for the music on its own. But back during Heavy Metal's hey day I was listening to the Mats, REM, Soul Asylum, Bob Mould, Elvis Costello and all those guys pretty much exclusively. Sugar, oh my God, I wish they would get back together. Man they were awesome and Bob's completely tanked since.

album-everything-must-go.jpg

Hi there,

Have a listen to The Smiths - The Queen is Dead and Strangeways here we Come. Also try Morrissey - Vauxhall and I.

The Smiths have influenced most decent UK bands around today inc Coldplay, Radiohead, Oasis, Manic Street Preachers, The Doves, Arctic monkeys, The Kooks etc etc.

Morrissey is Brandon Flowers biggest influence and is by far the best lyricist there has been - bar none !!

I have to agree with previous posts by the way - The Doves are excellent. :up:

Hi there,

Have a listen to The Smiths - The Queen is Dead and Strangeways here we Come. Also try Morrissey - Vauxhall and I.

The Smiths have influenced most decent UK bands around today inc Coldplay, Radiohead, Oasis, Manic Street Preachers, The Doves, Arctic monkeys, The Kooks etc etc.

Morrissey is Brandon Flowers biggest influence and is by far the best lyricist there has been - bar none !!

I have to agree with previous posts by the way - The Doves are excellent. :up:

:up:

Smiths. Smiths, Smiths

Your mind will be blown.

The Church (still making albums after almost 30 years...and great ones at that!!!)
The Chameleons "Script of the Bridge" (early 80's overlooked masterpiece)
Porcupine Tree

Sad Punk: Husker, Pixies, Swerve Driver, Mudhoney et al... I was buying these albums as they were released late 80's/early 90's were my glory days. I actually didn't start liking heavy metal until the early 00's; first out of revery and later for the music on its own. But back during Heavy Metal's hey day I was listening to the Mats, REM, Soul Asylum, Bob Mould, Elvis Costello and all those guys pretty much exclusively. Sugar, oh my God, I wish they would get back together. Man they were awesome and Bob's completely tanked since.

I didn't realise you were from Minneapolis! Guess I didn't need to recommend Husker or Sugar for you. :) Agree on Bob, unfortunately - I'm not willing to listen to his new one frankly, Workbook was a great album, but everything since has been pretty damn lacklustre. But on that note, if you haven't heard Grant Hart's Intolerance, you should definitely check it out.

And if you do think good of the Smiths, I recommend Kitchens of Distinction too.

I didn't realise you were from Minneapolis! Guess I didn't need to recommend Husker or Sugar for you. :) Agree on Bob, unfortunately - I'm not willing to listen to his new one frankly, Workbook was a great album, but everything since has been pretty damn lacklustre. But on that note, if you haven't heard Grant Hart's Intolerance, you should definitely check it out.

And if you do think good of the Smiths, I recommend Kitchens of Distinction too.

Kitchens of Distinction - what a great shout! Love is Hell is a brilliant album.

I like the smiths, have most of their albums. Kitchens and the Church were awesome. I always loved the name too, Kitchens of Distinction.

I should've made a more inclusive list, or explained myself better. If it was alternative or rock in the 80's or 90's I've at least tried it... NOFX, Face To Face, Midnight Oil, INXS, all the Sub Pop bands, The Verve, etc. What I'm looking for are New bands, or more recent ones that may have a legacy from the stuff I liked before. Like the Doves or the National; stuff like that.

Who's the new Shake Your Money Maker Black Crows? What new (or newish)other brit bands have that big hook/big production that Oasis did? Are there any other hair metal immitators besides Buckcherry that are worthwhile? Etc etc..

And thank you all for the suggestions so far!!

The only Grant Hart album I picked up was Nova Mob's Evil (Old?) Empire. Fantastic first track, rest was meh...

Elbow = overrated

Try Kasabian though - they are a bit like Oasis - 2nd album Empire is amazing
And Jet are Oasis wannabes as well

The Shins (everything, esp Chutes too narrow)
The Notwist - Neon golden
Mercury Rev - Deserters songs
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (everything, esp Now I got worry)
Oblivians (everything, esp Popular Favorites)
Kaizers Orchestra (everything, esp Ompa til du dor and Maskineri)

and of course
Roosbeef - Ze willen je hond wel aaien maar niet met je praten

The Shins (everything, esp Chutes too narrow)
The Notwist - Neon golden
Mercury Rev - Deserters songs
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (everything, esp Now I got worry)
Oblivians (everything, esp Popular Favorites)
Kaizers Orchestra (everything, esp Ompa til du dor and Maskineri)

and of course
Roosbeef - Ze willen je hond wel aaien maar niet met je praten

good call on The Notwist. Neon Golden is one of my favorite albums of this decade.

Back
Top Bottom