(MSN article) Def Leppard's Elliot: We deserve the same respect as Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRay9911

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
did a couple of searches. apologies if it's already been posted...

Def Leppard's Elliot: We deserve the same respect as Bono - MSN Music News

Def Leppard's Elliot: We deserve the same respect as Bono
July 21, 2010, 2:43 PM EST
WENN

Def Leppard star Joe Elliott has accused the music press of failing to give rock bands due credit -- insisting his group deserves the same respect as stars such as Bono, Paul McCartney and Morrissey.

The singer claims music journalists fawn over big name stars such as the U2 frontman and the former Beatles bassist, but often ridicule his band even though they have enjoyed comparable success.

And Elliott can't understand why Def Leppard aren't considered "cool."

He tells Britain's Metro, "We don't get the credit we deserve in Britain... It's nice to walk down Oxford Street without being recognized but then again when music magazines write about us they [ridicule us] because we're not as cool as Johnny Marr, who isn't as successful as us by a million miles. (British TV host) Jools Holland won't have us on his show because we're not cool enough.

"Rock's ploughed its own furrow for 30 years but still music magazines don't give rock its due... How many more front covers do Paul McCartney and Morrissey need? Our album will sell more than Morrissey's so why don't we get the same kind of respect?

"There are more people than Bono and Michael Stipe to put on the cover of a magazine... There are more musicians out there... Bands who have sold [lots] of records, whether it be us or Depeche Mode, are becoming footnotes."

-----

you may now lul...

And Elliott can't understand why Def Leppard aren't considered "cool."

I was going to point and laugh at him, but that quote just made me kind of sad for him.

It's okay, Mr. Leppard. :hug: I do honestly like some of your songs. They're fun.

"There are more people than Bono and Michael Stipe to put on the cover of a magazine... There are more musicians out there... Bands who have sold [lots] of records, whether it be us or Depeche Mode, are becoming footnotes."

All joking aside, he needs to realize that the music media has subjective tastes just like everyone else. That respect or what is cool is determined by a couple hundred people. Unfortunately for him Def Leppard did not connect with enough of those people. A lot of great artists become footnotes but that is the reality with something as subjective as music. :shrug:

I will repeat here:

Who puts Michael Stipe on a magazine cover these days?

R.E.M., with Michael's face front and center, were on a bunch of rock magazine covers when Accelerate came out just a couple years ago. And they'll be on the usual suspect magazine covers when the new album comes out next year.

And re: Def Leppard. That is just sad. They've tried desperately to regain a bit of relevance, and have flat-out failed. It just ain't gonna happen, brother. Sorry. Your most famous song is most widely known as "Hey! That's the song I heard at the titty bar last night!"

Their first few albums were cool in that heavy metal sort of way.. But then they did that Pour Some Sugar on me song and it was downhill from there.

Stipe would have been a valid comparison to put up against Bono in the 90s. Not so much anymore, so it's a weird musician to bring up as a bastion of media popularity.

I don't recall a lot of covers for REM/Stipe, even when Accelerate was better received than their last few records.

I don't get the REM= U2 or Stipe= Bono stuff. It's not even close. REM has a few decent songs but c'mon.

Not even in the 90's.

Not going into the REM vs U2 battle, but for Mr. Leppard's point, they had a lot more exposure (i.e., magazine covers), like U2. In the 90s, yeah. Now, when he's whining about it? Not so much.

Has nothing to do with the music in this case.

Not going into the REM vs U2 battle, but for Mr. Leppard's point, they had a lot more exposure (i.e., magazine covers), like U2. In the 90s, yeah. Now, when he's whining about it? Not so much.

Has nothing to do with the music in this case.

That was the weird thing. In the '90's REM was everywhere, now not so much. If you were to compare a current band, I'd say Muse or Coldplay right now.

Still love REM.

Poor Def Leppard :sad:

I don't understand how a band that sang about meaningless sex, getting rocked, and other 80's cliches aren't relevant now in their 50's...

How can this be?

Here's reality:

Party bands are great fun for awhile, but it fades...

You made a choice.

I don't get the REM= U2 or Stipe= Bono stuff. It's not even close. REM has a few decent songs but c'mon.

Not even in the 90's.

Were you around then?

REM and U2 I would say were almost neck and neck up until Berry left the band. Although REM kept a little bit more of a "college/alternative" whatever you want to call it label they really did follow pretty similar paths up until then. U2 were almost always slightly ahead, but to say not even close is false.

If you were around in the first half of the 90s, you'd know that R.E.M. were very much U2's equals and contemporaries. In the years 1991 to 1995, the world went mad for R.E.M. and they sold records like hotcakes. There was a period there between Automatic for the People and Monster when they might have been bigger than U2.

Anyway, I think the lesson for bands/artists who want respect and to appear cool is this: DO NOT MAKE ALBUMS WITH 'MUTT' LANGE.

Now I happen to think that Def Leppard was one of the better 80's hair metal bands. Love Bites, Hysteria, Animal, Photograph...these are all classic great songs. "Rocket" still rocks my ass when i hear it. And the drummer had one freakin' arm. You gotta respect that.

But....they will ALWAYS be considered an 80's band. And if that's all you're considered, that's the KISS OF DEATH. Joe Elliot just needs to face the facts. Poor guy. I got nothing against him. He's a stand-up guy in my book, just hopelessly out of touch.

He wants more media exposure? Maybe he should cut his hair :hmm:

I didn't even know they were still around. How pathetic of people to whine and complain about not being popular any more.

I guess their god awful mashup concert with Taylor Swift didn't carry them into the new generation like they thought?

I'm a bit tired of all this constant whining, if a band wants to be as popular, get onto so many covers or be invited to so many festivals as U2, the best they could do is work for it, work, make good music, sell Cds and be nice to people and they'll get their opportunity. Whining only leads to pity.

Were you around then?

REM and U2 I would say were almost neck and neck up until Berry left the band. Although REM kept a little bit more of a "college/alternative" whatever you want to call it label they really did follow pretty similar paths up until then. U2 were almost always slightly ahead, but to say not even close is false.

This.

Joe Elliott is a true literary genius. It took him two words to say what Achtung Baby took an hour to conclude: Love Bites.

Also, lol.

"Rock's ploughed its own furrow for 30 years but still music magazines don't give rock its due... How many more front covers do Paul McCartney and Morrissey need? Our album will sell more than Morrissey's so why don't we get the same kind of respect?

What kind of argument is this that records sold = respect? Def Leppard has sold a very respectable 20M copies of Hysteria, but The Backstreet Boys sold 40M copies of Millennium. Would he agree that Def Leppard are half as cool as The Backstreet Boys? I think not.

Bono quoted from Pour Some Sugar On Me when U2 played the Leppard's home town of Sheffield last year.

What more could you ask for?

Were you around then?

Why, yes... I was around then :) And... enjoying about 4 songs from REM. Between 91' and 95'.

My point isn't to bash REM, they were good for what they were. My point is actually made by you above- they were "college/ alternative", broke out mainstream as a flavor of a handful of years, then disappeared from the mainstream. (meaning gone from all but REM fans).

Yes, Stipe/ REM were on many magazine covers as was U2 during those years. They also had solid album sales during that handful of years.

Were they ever MORE popular that U2, no way.
Did they stage any tour bigger than U2? no way.
Has REM moved as many people as U2? no way.

U2 had been huge for what, 8 years when REM hit the mainstream? Around 91- 95, REM became very, very big. U2 played 1.a and REM played 1.b for 4 or 5 years.

They're music simply didn't have the power, dynamic or dimensions that U2 did/ does. Stipe just isn't/ wasn't as transcendent as Bono.

The situation here reminds me of sports- baseball for instance. You have a MVP slugger who dominates the game from 1981- 2011 (U2). Then you have the phenom who comes up and slightly matches the slugger from 91'- 95'.

This post is now officially way too long :wink:

Anyway, I know a lot of people here are huge REM fans and that's cool. They were a very good band. Point is at their very peak they came close but did not topple U2.

My point is actually made by you above- they were "college/ alternative", broke out mainstream as a flavor of a handful of years, then disappeared from the mainstream. (meaning gone from all but REM fans).

What does any of that have to do with how 'big' they were at their peak? In the USA, the "college/alternative" audience you speak of is the same audience that supported U2 in 1980 to 1985.

Yes, Stipe/ REM were on many magazine covers as was U2 during those years. They also had solid album sales during that handful of years.

I'm not sure what your definition of "solid" is but...

Out Of Time (1991)
USA #1 (4 x Platinum) UK #1 (5 x Platinum) Canada #1 (7 x Platinum)

Automatic For The People (1992) USA #2 (4 x Platinum) UK #1 (6 x Platinum) Canada #3 (7 x Platinum)

Monster (1994)
USA #1 (4 x Platinum) UK #1 (3 x Platinum) Canada # 1 (6 x Platinum)

That is a little better than "solid".

Were they ever MORE popular that U2, no way.

No one said they were. We're saying that they rivalled U2 in popularity at that time.

Did they stage any tour bigger than U2? no way.

They didn't tour at all from 1990 to 1994.

Has REM moved as many people as U2? no way.

This is a ridiculous statement to suggest as fact.

U2 had been huge for what, 8 years when REM hit the mainstream?

No. R.E.M.'s first pop top ten hit ("The One I Love") was in 1987, the same year U2 had its first US top ten hit ("With or Without You"). Document (1987) went platinum in sales, too. Clearly, R.E.M. didn't get huge until 1991 or so, and U2 were bigger than they in the mid to (esp.) late 80s.

They're music simply didn't have the power, dynamic or dimensions that U2 did/ does. Stipe just isn't/ wasn't as transcendent as Bono.

It's one thing to say that here, but try selling it on an R.E.M. Fan forum! (Also, what does it mean for a singer to be "transcendent"?)

Point is at their very peak they came close but did not topple U2.

No one is suggesting they did! Bands are not trying to "topple" each other.

So it looks like we agree...

Like I said, I get it- REM were pretty good and you're a huge REM fan. Nothing wrong with that. I'm a huge Guns N' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam fan. I'd defend them if someone here crapped on them too.

Back
Top Bottom