Most currently underappreciated album of the 90s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Rusted Root -- "When I Woke"

51X29S6C7FL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Awesome album that draws me back time and again.

Good album, I found that I really have to be in the right mood to listen to Rusted Root, they aren't one of those bands I can throw on for any occasion...

Here are some of mine:

mjm.jpg

B000002MIA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

52_Alice%20In%20Chains_Jar%20of%20Flies.jpg

btw...no U2. :tsk:

:wink:

Pop is too easy, eh?

I would have to say:

Happy Days by Catherine Wheel (1995) - a change in sound, they ditched the shoe-gaze and went more straight forward rock, one of my favourite albums of theirs and extremely underrated imo...

Visual Audio Sensory Theatre by VAST (1998) - it amazes me that this guy isn't bigger than he is. Incredible album among several that he has released, it's a crime that he is overlooked when many other lesser bands break into the mainstream. Not that I'm complaining when I can go and see him in a 500 seat club...

If I have to choose one:

Outside by David Bowie
In my opinion, it is Bowie's best. :up:

Honorable Mention:

Earthling by David Bowie
Along with Outside, this time period represents Bowie's best in my opinion.

Voice of Love by Julee Cruise
Most people haven't heard this album so...

Von by Sigur Ros
In my opinion, far and away their best. :up:

Listen Without Prejudice Vol 1. by George Michael
A truly beautiful album. :drool:

I wouldn't call DJ Shadow or Built to Spill underappreciated, at least not within indie circles. Don't both of those make frequent appearances on Best of the 90's lists?

Agreed, critics still give them props, but I do not see people listening to them as often as I still do.

The band is Buffalo Tom
The album is "Let Me Come Over"

Easily in my top 10, maybe top 5 albums of the 90's. Underappreciated by fans and critics alike.

(i wish I knew how to post a picture of the album cover)

:ohmy:

I like it, but I'd still say the opposite about it. :wink:

dd75828fd7a0778869d24110.L.jpg

7c61228348a0818d30dd1110.L.jpg

For those who don't recognize it, above is DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...

No way. Both albums are classics, but they have received more than their due praise over the years. :wink:

For me, I'll go with...

8antfuaby6.jpg

How about this puppy:

31CD73J5P1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Hum - "You'd Prefer An Astronaut"

Thank you. Glad to hear someone else remembers how good these guys were. Maybe if we keep spreading the word, they won't be underappreciated much longer. :waiting:

I'm a fan as well. And although I know many Buffalo Tom fans think it was too mainstream, I really loved the follow up Big Red Letter Day.

And there's also the non-album track they did for the No Alternative compilation, which is seriously one of their best:

YouTube - Buffalo Tom - For All To See

I'm a fan as well. And although I know many Buffalo Tom fans think it was too mainstream, I really loved the follow up Big Red Letter Day.

And there's also the non-album track they did for the No Alternative compilation, which is seriously one of their best:

YouTube - Buffalo Tom - For All To See

Hey Laz

Thanks for that blast from the past. Don't want to turn this into a Buffalo Tom thread, but I think Let Me Come Over, Big Red Letter Day and Sleepy Eyed were a fantastic trilogy regardless of the latter two possibly being shots in the dark at more mainstream acceptance. Their whole catalogue is full of coulda-been hits.

No way. Both albums are classics, but they have received more than their due praise over the years.

I think both you and Laz still didn't read the actual thread title. Yes, lots of people were talking about them and still listening to these albums 8 years ago. They're not now. Hence why I think they're the "most currently unappreciated". If the thread was "shit from the '90's no one else liked but you", I'd have given answers like the rest of you.

I think both you and Laz still didn't read the actual thread title. Yes, lots of people were talking about them and still listening to these albums 8 years ago. They're not now. Hence why I think they're the "most currently unappreciated". If the thread was "shit from the '90's no one else liked but you", I'd have given answers like the rest of you.

Here's a peace offering:

517F1PE03FL._AA240_.jpg

:wink: It's true though. Emergency & I was and is criminally overlooked.

Cracker - The Golden Age

Kerosene Hat was kind of a big album because of hits like "Low", "Get Off This" and "Euro-Trash Girl", but the follow-up kind of got lost and that's a shame because I think it's an even better album.

Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

This initially fell flat as a follow-up to the brilliant Vauxhall And I, but it's become somewhat of a fan favorite in recent years and it contains a couple of the most memorable album openers and closers I've heard.

Back
Top Bottom