Mogwai

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
Dont ask me how.. But I came across couple of Mogwai tracks...

And I love it. Really Good !!

From the sound of it , the music is British although its instrumental - so I didnt get it from accent.

Its bit like Pink Floyd which is great..A touch of Porcupine Tree also.. Space rock, modern rock, symphonic rock, pop - dont know which genre it belongs to ?

Wow I love this one.. Its inducing me to sleep.

Mogwai is the next big thing ...May be.. I dunno..

Anyone has any opinion on Mogwai ?

What a find... Find of 2005 so far :) although this might be released in 1990s when I thought English ( as in Language) music is all about Michael Jackson

Last edited:
Oh yeah, Mogwai is good stuff. I had the chance to see/hear them live at the Curiosa Festival this summer. They were really impressive live. All the crescendos and instrumental dynamics were amazing to see done in a live outdoor setting.

I just picked up their 'Ten Rapid' album recently, but I havent had the chance to listen to it as much as I'd like. I've heard from tons of different people and places that 'Come On, Die Young' is the fan favorite and album to get. It's on my list.

u2popmofo said:
Oh yeah, Mogwai is good stuff. I had the chance to see/hear them live at the Curiosa Festival this summer. They were really impressive live. All the crescendos and instrumental dynamics were amazing to see done in a live outdoor setting.

I just picked up their 'Ten Rapid' album recently, but I havent had the chance to listen to it as much as I'd like. I've heard from tons of different people and places that 'Come On, Die Young' is the fan favorite and album to get. It's on my list.

Since I posted this almost 5 months ago, I've purchased 'Come On Die Young', 'Happy Songs For Happy People', and 'Government Sessions'. I flat out love all of those CDs. Mogwai has possibly become my favorite "post-rock" group.

I really recommend 'Goverment Sessions'. It's a 'best of' for all intents and purposes, but it was performed 'live at the BBC', so you get to experience the dynamics and great tone they have live. Awesome stuff :up: 'Come On Die Young' and 'Young Team' seem to be fan favorites for their albums too, so look for those. Their most recent, 'Happy Songs For Happy People', added lush production and electronics to their sound, which was a cool move.

I need to finish off my collection (of their albums at least) with 'Rock Action' and 'Young Team'. I've been searching for 'Young Team' for a few months now, cant seem to find it anywhere. The hunt continues....

I've been searching for 'Young Team' for a few months now, cant seem to find it anywhere. The hunt continues....

3 years later and I have two copies of Young Team (original and 10th anniversary reissue). lolzorz and stuff.

I'm fired up for the new album, The Hawk Is Howling. Best song titles evar? You be the judge:

Stupid Prick Gets Chased by the Police and Loses His Slut Girlfriend
I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
The Sun Smells Too Loud
I Love You, I'm Going to Blow Up Your School
Thank You Space Expert

Anyways, here you go, Got Edge.

But please heed our warning: If you go to any of these shows, bring ear plugs for your ear plugs. Mogwai is loud.

Dates:

June
28 - Calgary, Canada @ Sled Island Festival
30 - Toronto, Canada @ Phoenix Concert Theatre

July
4 - Roskilde, Denmark @ Roskilde Festival
13 - Joensuu, Finland @ Ilosaarirock Festival Joensuu
18 - Madrid, Spain @ Summercase Festival
19 - Barcelona, Spain @ Summercase Festival Barcelona

Aug.
6 - Oslo, Norway @ Oya Festival
11 - Belfast, Northern Ireland @ Belsonic Festival
30 - Utrecht, Netherlands @ De Beschaving Festival
31 - Antwerp, Belgium @ Rivierenhof

Sept.
4 - Seattle, Wash. @ Showbox SoDo
18 - New York, N.Y. @ Terminal 5
21 - New York, N.Y. @ New York Catskill

Oct.
21 - Edinburgh, Scotland @ Corn Exchange
23 - Manchester, England @ Manchester Academy
24 - London, England Hammersmith Apollo

:cry:

Let's hope they add dates around my hood in support of the new album! (they won't :sigh: )

There are more dates than that actually:

06-24 Guadalajara, Mexico - Carpa Agora Teatro Estudio Cavaret
06-26 Mexico City, Mexico - Pabellon de Alta Tecnologia
06-28 Calgary, Alberta - Sled Island Festival
06-30 Toronto, Ontario - Phoenix Concert Theatre
07-04 Roskilde, Denmark - Roskilde
07-13 Joensuu, Finland - Ilosaarirock Festival
07-18 Madrid, Spain - Boadilla del Monte (Summercase Festival) *
07-19 Barcelona, Spain - Parc del Fòrum (Summercase Festival) *
07-26 Roseto degli Abruzzi, Italy - Soundlabs Festival
08-06 Oslo, Norway - Øya Festival
08-11 Belfast, Northern Ireland - Belsonic Festival
08-30 Utrecht, Netherlands - De Beschaving Festival
08-31 Antwerp, Belgium - Rivierenhof
09-03 Portland, OR - Music Fest NW
09-04 Seattle, WA - Showbox SoDo #
09-05 Victoria, British Columbia - Element #
09-06 Vancouver, British Columbia - Commodore #
09-08 San Francisco, CA - Grand Ballroom #
09-09 Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern #
09-10 Tucson, AZ - Rialto #
09-12 Austin, TX - Stubb's Bar-B-Q #
09-13 Dallas, TX - Granada Theatre #
09-15 Atlanta, GA - Variety Playhouse #
09-16 Richmond, VA - The National #
09-17 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club #
09-18 New York, NY - Terminal 5 #
09-19 Philadelphia, PA - Starlight Ballroom #
09-21 Monticello, NY - Kutshers Country Club (ATP New York) #
09-22 Boston, MA - Wilbur Theatre #
09-23 Montreal, Quebec - Metropolis #
09-25 Pontiac, MI - Crofoot #
09-26 Chicago, IL - Congress Theatre #
09-27 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue #
10-21 Edinburgh, Scotland - Corn Exchange #
10-23 Manchester, England - Academy #
10-24 London, England - Hammersmith Apollo #

* performing Young Team
# with Fuck Buttons

I'm going to try to go the Atlanta show with a friend who just moved there.

I'm seeing them in Minneapolis with a friend of mine. I can't wait, I've never seen Mogwai before, but the guy I'm going with has, so it will be fantastic.:drool:

Boston? I'm so there. I was so mad when I was out of town last time they were here. Also, the album "The Hawk is Howling" bizarre as we'd expect as are some of the track names, what else is bizarre is the old post that started this thread.

Dont ask me how.. But I came across couple of Mogwai tracks...

And I love it. Really Good !!

From the sound of it , the music is British although its instrumental - so I didnt get it from accent.

Its bit like Pink Floyd which is great..A touch of Porcupine Tree also.. Space rock, modern rock, symphonic rock, pop - dont know which genre it belongs to ?

Wow I love this one.. Its inducing me to sleep.

Mogwai is the next big thing ...May be.. I dunno..

Anyone has any opinion on Mogwai ?

What a find... Find of 2005 so far :) although this might be released in 1990s when I thought English ( as in Language) music is all about Michael Jackson

I quite like Mogwai; I own all their albums and some EPs. My favorite is "Happy Songs for Happy People". I'm not a huge fan of "Young Team", but most fans and critics seem to adore it.

They're going on tour now!

I'm not a huge fan of "Young Team", but most fans and critics seem to adore it.

grumpyshame.gif

Similar to a lot of "classic" type albums, it's sometimes difficult understanding why they're so revered without thinking about what the industry or respective genre was like when it was released. The amazing thing about Young Team is that it was made 10 yrs ago. It's been massively influential in forming what people consider post-rock to sound like today. I do understand how someone may enjoy some of their other albums more (I probably do myself even), as they've introduced interesting sounds, instruments, and production into the mix since they've become bigger, but this album is absolutely epic for having come out 10 yrs ago. It's still crushingly better than what most post-rock bands I like are releasing, and they were nobodies with no money, equipment, or recording experience at the time. Young Team should be adored as much because of what it did as it is for what it is. This album helped make post-rock, and it got people interested. Even after 10 years, a lot of their most classic songs are from this album. Young Team, you are my friend.

Excellent post. I definitely see that, but having been introduced to them on Rock Action and other albums and only listening to Young Team later, I don't play it as much as their other work, although it is excellent.

i saw them live many years ago and almost died. they're so loud and i was in the front against the stage.. yeah.

I like it a lot, although it seems they're going even more accessible than Mr. Beast if this track is any indication of the sound off the new album.

So any fears I may have had with the sound of 'The Sun Smells Too Loud' have been absolutely ANNIHILATED by 'Batcat'. Holy schnikies, that is one bad azz mambo jambo of a song. It's like Mr. Beast had sex with the devil and this is their unholy love child. The video....yiiiii-iiikes! It does work with the music though.

MySpaceTV Videos: Batcat by mogwai

So pumped for their new album and seeing them on 9/22...and Batcat just amped up that anticipation.

Back
Top Bottom