Modest Mouse Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonocrazy88

New Yorker
I am a huge fan of Modest Mouse. They're my #2 right now.

I am going to see them in concert at the end of this month. I am sooo excited.

Anybody else like Modest Mouse??

I know there are many other threads on them, but I'm too busy/lazy to search for them right now.

I will say this though, The Lonesome Crowded West is unbelievably good.

Isaac Brock can't sing, which brings their music down for me. I've always hated Float On.

However, the atmosphere of The Moon And Antarctica alone makes is quite an achievement. Very, very good record.

Agreed.

"Well all's not well, but I'm told that it'll all be quite nice..."

"Opinions were like kittens, I was givin' them away"

Lonesome Crowded West > anything LeMel mentioned

This reads really douchebag-ish looking at it now.. I was just trying to say that Lonesome Crowded West is worthy of checking out if you don't like some of their other material, LeMeL.

"Opinions were like kittens, I was givin' them away"

"I was in heaven, I was in hell - believe in neither, but fear 'em as well."

Seriously, LemonMelon, check this one out if you've never heard it before. Their last two albums are mediocre in comparison.

GibsonGirl, did you know that Cowboy Dan is a major player in the cowboy scene?

I liked the Modest Mouse that once was but is no more. :sigh: I saw them on the GNFPWLBN (that's a mouthful, even as an acronym...) tour and was so bored I actually left early. I have a feeling Johnny Marr might've improved their stage presence, but I don't feel like dropping $40 and driving two hours to find out when they play in Rochester.

I liked the Modest Mouse that once was but is no more. :sigh: I saw them on the GNFPWLBN (that's a mouthful, even as an acronym...) tour and was so bored I actually left early. I have a feeling Johnny Marr might've improved their stage presence, but I don't feel like dropping $40 and driving two hours to find out when they play in Rochester.

I didn't like that album enough to even entertain the thought of travelling to see them. It would have been nice to see Marr, though...

oh damn. Well, I like all their albums. I don't think I will ever find anyone who beats U2 in concert, especially standing a matter of feet away from Bono. But I am excited nevertheless. :applaud:

This reads really douchebag-ish looking at it now.. I was just trying to say that Lonesome Crowded West is worthy of checking out if you don't like some of their other material, LeMeL.

Seriously, LemonMelon, check this one out if you've never heard it before. Their last two albums are mediocre in comparison.

OK, will do. :up: Is This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About worth checking out as well?

I saw 'em open for REM. I was underwhelmed, but it was cool to see Marr.

That's cos Marr is like some amazing mythical beast.
Much like a unicorn, but better than a unicorn. Yes that is possible. :angry: :cute:

I looove Modest Mouse, and I also love Brock's voice. I am weird however.
Lonesome Crowded West and Moon and Antarctica belong in everyone's collection, as with the rest of their albums imo.
There's just no excuse for not having those two.

OK, will do. :up: Is This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About worth checking out as well?

It's my personal favorite Modest Mouse album.

It can get a little samey in spots, but it's got a great atmosphere, lots of energy, and well...it's just really, really good. Plus "Dramamine" and "Talking Shit About A Pretty Sunset" are by far two of the best Modest Mouse songs out there.

Kind of Pixiesish, too. If you're into that sort of thing. :D

Edit: Oh, and "Tundra/Desert" has what's probably my favorite single moment in any Modest Mouse song (well, it's up there at least). The people that have heard it probably know what I'm referring to. Just exhilarating.

"Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww SHIT!" :rockon:

I tried to find the thread where I offended a 16 or 17 year old by calling them a kid, and then they proceeded to allude to having had inappropriate relations with Isaac Brock, but couldn't find it. Anyways, there's a new Modest Mouse EP out today, and here's a link to see the music video Heath Ledger was making for Modest Mouse before he died:

Pitchfork: Watch Heath Ledger's Gory Cartoon Modest Mouse Video Now

I tried to find the thread where I offended a 16 or 17 year old by calling them a kid, and then they proceeded to allude to having had inappropriate relations with Isaac Brock, but couldn't find it. Anyways, there's a new Modest Mouse EP out today, and here's a link to see the music video Heath Ledger was making for Modest Mouse before he died:

Pitchfork: Watch Heath Ledger's Gory Cartoon Modest Mouse Video Now

I remember that thread/exchange. There were two young posters who were going off on everyone. Think they got banned.

What a dick you are to the youth of America.

I remember that thread/exchange. There were two young posters who were going off on everyone. Think they got banned.

What a dick you are to the youth of America.

The sad thing was, I initially didn't mean it to be remotely rude. I think one of them was saying something about liking Johnny Marr, and I said that while I absolutely loved his work with The Smiths, I didn't think he added much to the last Modest Mouse album. They then went off about how terrible The Smiths were, how horrible Morrissey is, and how Marr sucked back then and is great now. All I remember is saying something like "I guess I shouldn't expect kids today to care much about The Smiths". I was still being called a "kid" into my late 20's, so I didn't realize being called a kid when you legitimately are a kid was all that offensive.

To put things simply, my dickery knows no bounds.

In retrospect, the "you're just a kid" thing did come across pretty douchily giving that a look again, but I really didn't mean any harm by it. Was just trying to say, "The Smiths aren't from your era", which I assume she could have pulled from the rest of the post, but chose not to.

Regardless, I HATE MYSELF AND WANT TO DIE! (probably Morrissey's fault)

At least you didn't challenge the two kids to a real-life fist fight.

At least you didn't challenge the two kids to a real-life fist fight.

I prefer a dueling, it's super classy. Even ladies do it!

Women%20pistol%20Dueling.jpg

I've read and heard the entire range of responses as to how they are live, from mindblowingly fantastic to beyond terrible (I've never been overly impressed from any of their TV performances I've seen). I've put off seeing them for years because of being scared I'd be really let down, but I'm finally seeing them for the first time next month. I've been a fan long enough that I'm hoping I can enjoy whatever it is they'll play, even if it doesn't sound quite as good as I want it to. Maybe I'll luck out and catch them on one of their great nights.

By the way, Best Buy is selling the new EP for $6 this week. $6 for almost 34 mins of music isn't bad at all. I've paid more than double for punk records shorter than that!

Back
Top Bottom