Mgmt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Siberian Breaks is insanely beautiful. One of the best songs I've heard so far.
I am going to listen to it in order.

But god damn.

I think I'm going to stand by my assessment that MGMT is a band that has three great tracks ("Time to Pretend", "Electric Feel", and "Kids"), and that's it.

The new album has zero direction and less hooks than Radiohead's "Amnesiac"...

It just "meanders"... And to say that they didn't want to write songs like "Electric Feel" or their other hits is a joke. I just don't think they could come up with them. As a result, the listener is stuck with tracks like "Brian Eno."

i listened to the album again last night, and i will say that i'm pleasantly surprised. i think it's pretty good!

Pretty much sunk their ship with this tuneless, go-nowhere album. It's densely packed and monotonous.

that's how i felt after the first listen, but later that day, i found myself wanting to hear it again. the second and third listens were much better.

"kids" was a good song maybe the first 4 or 5 times i heard it. now it annoys me. otherwise, i have no use for this band.

It seems like the polar opposite of their last album. It is more cohesive, less catchy and doesn't have the songs that you want to listen to on repeat.

This is exactly it for me. I think all in all it's a way better album, but you don't get that impression immediately because it lacks anything near the singles that "Electric Feel" and "Kids" were. Other than those two, however, I feel like Oracular Spectacular is the single most overrated album of all time...of all time. This, though. It's hard to quite get a feel for, it's so damn laid back. This can be a bad thing, because it can come across as flat and lifeless (as it did the first time i attempted to listen to it), but if you're in the mood for it, it can actually be some great chill music.

All in all, I think it's no Joshua Tree of Va--you know where I'm going with that, but it's definitely a keeper in my book.

From all of the mixed reviews I'd read of this album, I was expecting it to be terrible. Probably because of those low expectations going into my first listen, I was very pleasantly surprised to enjoy this album.

Listened to it again last night. The bad songs were less painful, while the good songs didn't really stick out in any significant way. I think the cover is the most interesting part of this whole venture. As far as modern psychedelia is concerned, The Flaming Lips' Embryonic had ten times the edge and nearly anything by Of Montreal is more fun. On top of that, the vocalists of those bands actually sound as if they put their hearts into writing and recording the music; MGMT's vocals feel consistently snide and disingenuous.

For those who care, here's a link to their SNL performance last Saturday:

MGMT on SNL - "Flash Delirium" + "Brian Eno" (Video) | TwentyFourBit

Pleasant enough, but a crappy song will never stop being a crappy song, even if performed well. Not without a large quantity of cleavage, at any rate.

i liked what i heard, so i listened to more. then they all sounded the same, and now i'm pretty bored with this band.

edit: heh. appears i already pitched in my worthless 2 cents.

As far as modern psychedelia is concerned, The Flaming Lips' Embryonic had ten times the edge and nearly anything by Of Montreal is more fun.

agreed. i completely forgot about of montreal. :up:

well, what a waste of time that was. i didn't hate it as much as i thought i would however.

there are plenty of bands doing psychedelia, experimenting with styles, blah blah blah, but all i wanted from MGMT? three singles to match Time to Pretend, Electric Feel and Kids.

Someone's Missing is half decent, Flash Delirium is ok, i've got no idea what Siberian Breaks was meant to be but parts of it were good, and the final three tracks were just garbage.

:down:

Sorry to bump this and make people think something new's happened.

Anyways, just relistened to this again for the first time since April. I'm starting to come around to it as a pretty great album, actually. I think it does exactly what it tried to do (be a musical accompaniment to that album cover) and it does it well.

Also, this was the first time I really listened to the lyrics to "Brian Eno" and I don't know how you can hate an album with a love song like that on it.

Wow, I'm kind of embarrased I started this thread.

2008 seemed to bring so much musical optimism. Riding the Justice electrowave, getting ready to catch the chillwave. What happened? :( 2010 seems so different, so lonely.

Goodbye, MGMT. :(

MGMT are playing at a festival in Feb i'm going to. hopefully, they'll play Kids, Time to Pretend and Electric Feel straight up, and then i can get the fuck out of there fast.

Don't waste your time then:

Lolla set:

1. Pieces of What
2. Brian Eno
3. Electric Feel
4. Flash Delerium
5. Of Moons, Birds & Monsters
6. It's Working
7. The Youth
8. Song for Dan Treacy
9. Weekend Wars
10. Time to Pretend
11. Destrokk
12. The Handshake
13. I Found a Whistle
14. Kids
15. Congratulations

Are they still as bad live as their reputation said they were in the Time to Pretend days?

2013MGMTKittenTwitter160113.jpg

The band posted the picture you can see above along with the message "This tiny kitten has just heard new MGMT songs" on their official Twitter page. The unnamed cat appeared unimpressed, if not a little scared, by what he heard leading fans to believe the New York band's new material may have gone further down the psychedelic route taken on their last album, 2010's 'Congratulations'.

Could it be that MGMT fans are crazier than U2 fans?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom