Metallica is playing Antarctica today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musikwala

War Child
Metallica to Play Antarctica | Music News | Rolling Stone

Metallica are heading south for the winter. "After 30 years as a band, we have been unbelievably fortunate to visit just about every corner of the earth. . . except for one," the band said today on their website. "That is all about to change as we are set to travel to Antarctica, the only continent that Metallica has never played on until now."

The metal group announced that on December 8th, they will play near the heliport of the continent's Carlini Argentine Base. The audience will consist of fans from Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica and Mexico who enter a contest through Coca-Cola Zero. Winners will receive a round-trip ticket on an Antarctic cruise that will leave from Tierra del Fuego, the southernmost tip of South America, on December 3rd.

"We'll be playing inside a dome on the base and in another twist, the show will be transmitted to the audience via headphones with no amplification. . . a real first for us," said the band. To win, fans must demonstrate what they're willing to do to attend the concert and share their experience through the soda maker's Twitter account. The trip will last 10 days, during which contest winners will be able to see the continent, attend lectures and receive environmental information.

That sounds like a totally cool (no pun intended) experience even if one is only a passing fan of the band!

I can't stop laughing at the way they've phrased this whole thing...as though it's completely normal for a band to play Antarctica and it was that one missing puzzle piece in their career to truly make them part of the pantheon.

EDIT: Wait a sec...the fans that are going aren't going to get to actually attend the concert?

Huh...I donno, it's just the way the article read, it didn't seem like they were going to even get off the boat.

I don't remember who, but someone posted something ala "If I go see the Metallica 3D movie, will shit literally fly out of the speakers at me?"

That was one of the funniest things I've read on the internet in the last couple months.

I think it was me, I'm such a rascal!

Rapscallion, you mean.

My phone was insisting rapscallion must be plural for some reason. I think those were what went bad in the fridge when I forgot to put them in my soup.

It always makes me think of The Great Mouse Detective, even though the villains name in that was Ratigan...I have no idea...

I read that more as there won't be any external amplification of the instruments, so the audience has to wear headphones to hear it.

Yes. It's pretty clear from the original article itself. Not very difficult to understand.

And no matter what one's feelings are about the band themselves, one has to admit that this is a pretty unique move by them! Interesting stuff.

Back
Top Bottom