Macca's Ram - what do you guys think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OpenG180

War Child
I first listened to this album many many moons ago and it left me cold. Some songs i hated.

Now i gave it another chance, and i must say i truly love it. To me, it's like a "new" Beatles album i just discovered.

Is Ram the ultimate grower album? And is it the first "indie" record ever?

Fantastic album. I wouldn't call it the first indie album since it was released on a major label (that and his solo debut is even more lo-fi), but I do consider it an inspiration since I record albums in a similar way.

I probably haven't listened to it since I was 14 or so. I liked it a lot back then, but at the time mcartney could do no wrong as far as im concerned, I was going to say that I always preferred band on the run, but I don't know how that could be true since there's so much awful on band on the run. Although I will probably always have more love for its title track than anything off ram.

I probably haven't listened to it since I was 14 or so. I was going to say that I always preferred band on the run, but I don't know how that could be true since there's so much awful on band on the run. Although I will probably always have more love for its title track than anything off ram.

I first heard Ram when i was 14 too. And that is decades ago, really. I used to think Macca was all about Band On The Run as well. Love it, love it.

But, as a whole, i think Ram is the superior album... I'm on a Ram diet for the last month and it's jaw dropping.

I absolutely love Back Seat of My Car, one of the best album closers ever

My favorite McCartney album and I loved it from my first listen of it. Too Many People and Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey are probably two of my top 5 post Beatles McCartney tracks.

I used to dislike this record, but have grown to love it. Probably my favorite solo McCartney record. Probably my favorite post-Beatles Beatles project, actually. Good songs. Good vibes. Good times.

Ram [Apple, 1971]
"Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" is a major annoyance. I tolerated McCartney's crotchets with the Beatles because his mates balanced them out; I enjoyed them mildly on McCartney because their scale was so modest; I enjoy them actively on "Monkberry Moon Delight" because it rocks and on "Smile Away" because it's vulgar and funny. But though nothing else here approaches the willful rhythm shifts and above-it-all silliness of the single, most of the songs are so lightweight they float away even as Paulie layers them down with caprices. If you're going to be eccentric, for goodness sake don't be pretentious about it. C+

BOOM.

/christgau'ed

Laz, has your opinion ever varied from Christgau's?

Uncle Albert/Halsey is complete crap, though. I'd forgotten it existed, as I only had an interest in hearing this album again for about 30 seconds before I decided to keep my relatively fond childhood memories the way they were. Now that damn butter wouldn't melt bullshit is stuck in my head.

Back
Top Bottom