M83

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't even finished disc one yet (playing it on youtube, I don't have enough money to buy it atm, fucking bummed) and I can't even contain myself to wait to the end. Incredible shit. Mofo is right in that's it worth buying for Midnight City alone but there hasn't been a bad track so far.

Don't know why people other than Ashley are complaining about Raconte Historie. Bit of a crappy start but the rest of it is pure bliss. It reminds me of the crescendo in So Here We Are by Bloc Party.

I'm not so taken with the album as some of you. It's a solid 3.5/5, but most of what sticks out in my mind are the negative qualities, not the positives ... there is certainly nothing half as memorable as Kim & Jessie, and since I've always found M83 to be a "songs" rather than an "albums" band, the thing's definitely longer than it has any right to be.

But that's trifling compared to the fact that Raconte-Moi Une Histoire is one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Close to Brokencyde bad, and I'm not sure I'm being hyperbolic.

I don't get the hate for that at all, I was expecting a trainwreck... and the start is kinda crap, and the girl talking is incongruous (though it's really not dissimilar to I Can Be a Frog on Embryonic by the Flaming Lips), but the rest of the song is outstanding!

I've loved every song so far. It's all a little similar and the only song I can recall so far is Midnight City, but that will change over time. Thrilling stuff.

Also should add this is the first M83 album I have heard. Would appear to suggest that people who say "wtf listen to X first" are kinda making it out to be a big deal when it's not. ;)

Cobbler, I'm pretty sure the album is on grooveshark. No one should ever youtube an album ever

As for Ax's problems with the begatives sticking out in his head, I'm being completely honest when I say that I didn't find one negative thing to say about the album when it was over.

Cobbler, go listen to S=Y now.

Ii think Histoire is one of the most sonically beautiful, most adorable songs I've ever heard, but I'm repeating myself now so...bye!

I don't get the hate for that at all, I was expecting a trainwreck... and the start is kinda crap, and the girl talking is incongruous (though it's really not dissimilar to I Can Be a Frog on Embryonic by the Flaming Lips), but the rest of the song is outstanding!

I've loved every song so far. It's all a little similar and the only song I can recall so far is Midnight City, but that will change over time. Thrilling stuff.

Also should add this is the first M83 album I have heard. Would appear to suggest that people who say "wtf listen to X first" are kinda making it out to be a big deal when it's not. ;)

I just think that on every M83 album, he's trying to outdo himself for terrible spoken word samples. At least this time the whole track blows and I can just delete it, unlike last time where Graveyard Girl is a great song ... until the graveyard girl talks.

And I don't think it matters where you start as long as you're enjoying it. Honestly sometimes it seems to me preferable to work up to the best/classic/"usual" albums, rather than starting there and possibly experiencing diminishing returns with subsequent albums.

Seriously? I can understand not liking the little girl, but you don't like the rest of the song?

Seriously? I can understand not liking the little girl, but you don't like the rest of the song?

She craps on over the whole thing, doesn't she? Or am I remembering incorrectly? I've only listened to it all the way through once.

Man, that's way more of her than I'm ever willing to stomach for whatever comes after.

Raconte is adorable, harmless fluff, one of the more imaginative "interludes." I'm fine with it.

I agree he sometimes goes overboard with spoken word, and I still can't stand it in Graveyard Girl, but at least with Raconte you are getting a different interpretation of it with a little girl's voice that's full of honesty, openness, and innocence, and most importantly, doesn't feel forced. Plus the music is excellent.

Here is my problem with Raconte, for whatever it's worth. He is already dealing with a theme that has been worn into the ground in at least a million other works from all over the artistic spectrum: the innocence and imagination of childhood. It is already obvious from the album title and cover. Then he feels compelled absolutely to lay the hammer to the listener's head by actually bringing in a little girl to recount a ludicrously saccharine tale. That he needs to resort to such blatant efforts to make his point is indicative of someone who does not trust his own ability to convey his ideas through lyrics or soundscapes. I don't know if he has any kids, but if that happens to be his daughter speaking on the track, it just might elevate it to pinnacle of the maudlin.

But I suppose that you folks know me by now; I just really dislike things that are overly emotional or precious.

If you're a M83 fan, I would imagine you'd come to accept/expect a healthy dose of cheesiness and spoken-word stuff by this point. I rather like the Frog Song and even think it's kind of cute. And I hate children.

I believe I read that it's the bassist's daughter doing the vocals on that track (Justin Medel Johnson? formerly played with Beck & NIN)

iron yuppie said:
Here is my problem with Raconte, for whatever it's worth. He is already dealing with a theme that has been worn into the ground in at least a million other works from all over the artistic spectrum: the innocence and imagination of childhood. It is already obvious from the album title and cover. Then he feels compelled absolutely to lay the hammer to the listener's head by actually bringing in a little girl to recount a ludicrously saccharine tale. That he needs to resort to such blatant efforts to make his point is indicative of someone who does not trust his own ability to convey his ideas through lyrics or soundscapes. I don't know if he has any kids, but if that happens to be his daughter speaking on the track, it just might elevate it to pinnacle of the maudlin.

But I suppose that you folks know me by now; I just really dislike things that are overly emotional or precious.

I actually am beginning to find the story kind of surreally creepy, even though still adorable, since my brain has now decided that she's talking about one of those frogs that gets you high as fuuuuck.

bono_212 said:
I actually am beginning to find the story kind of surreally creepy, even though still adorable, since my brain has now decided that she's talking about one of those frogs that gets you high as fuuuuck.

Hahahahahaha this interpretation instantly makes its monologue superior to Graveyard Girl's.

Literal ear rape would have made it better than Graveyard Girl's.

Please remember that the dude is French, and English is faaaaaaar from being his first language. We're lucky this shit sorta makes sense now, and isn't some of the bizarre nonsense included on Before the Dawn Heals Us.

I quite liked the monologue on Graveyard Girl, tho having grown up in the 80s, I would be the target audience for the John Hughesian nostalgia he was trying to evoke.

Please remember that the dude is French, and English is faaaaaaar from being his first language. We're lucky this shit sorta makes sense now, and isn't some of the bizarre nonsense included on Before the Dawn Heals Us.

Thanks for reminding me of the existence of Car Chase Terror. :angry:

:wink:

Haha. Yeah, that's the exact song I was thinking of. Maybe a cliche comparison, but I sorta always put as much stock in his "lyrics" as I do with My Bloody Valentine. They're there, but have nothing to do with why I like the songs / band.

Oh man, Car Chase Terror may be my favorite train wreck of a song ever.
bollox said:
Works much better if you picture it being said by a young Ally Sheedy. Ah.

I actually get what you're saying. Interesting perpective.

i have no idea what you guys are talking about. what i've heard so far didn't have anything that vaguely resembled lyrics i could understand (or care to understand), but then again nothing really sounds too good on my car stereo. plus, i haven't heard the whole thing yet, since the drive from record store to home wasn't long enough to make it from start to finish of the entire thing. or perhaps i just put midnight city on repeat (almost, i listened 4 songs in, then went back to that one for the rest of the drive til i could hear it on non-crappy speakers).

So I ordered this today when I ordered Tom Waits so I'd qualify for the free shipping. It didn't occur to me that I should read this thread first. I'll like it, right?

Back
Top Bottom