M83

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the guy, but I thought that his single-disc albums were over-long, so I am a bit concerned about my patience with a two-disc set.

It's as much a two disc set as Embryonic, for the record. That is, about 15-20 minutes longer than usual.

I realize I'm a fanboy of said artist, but I think it's worth buying based on Midnight City alone. :wink:

I realize I'm a fanboy of said artist, but I think it's worth buying based on Midnight City alone. :wink:

while i could listen to that song on a loop for hours on end, i require some equal level of awesomeness from at least 2 other tracks. i trust the stream (urban outfitters? i'm streaming music from a clothing store's site? will the world just come to a fucking end already?) will find those for me.

I've only listened to it once, but there are a ton of bright spots. That being said, I found the stream's quality to be a little lacking. So it's just going to be the one listen for me for now.

I've listened to it in full once (and I've loved everything else he's done). Didn't really dig it. Too many plodding tracks. There's some definite highlights that rank among his best work, but even listening to one disc of this is too much. A shame because I figured this would be an album-of-the-year contender for me based on the tracks that were released earlier ("Intro" and "Midnight City") and instead I find it merely decent.

What the hell is going on here? Was the leak a different better album or something? It seems like a lot of the reactions aren't super positive, but maybe I'm misunderstanding. Not just referring to posts in this thread ftr.

Stream could just suck, who knows. It's making me want to just wait a little more though, I don't want to have my opinion marred by not so great audio quality. Plus, it releases a couple days after my b-day, so it'll be like I'm getting M83 as a b-day present.

What the hell is going on here? Was the leak a different better album or something? It seems like a lot of the reactions aren't super positive, but maybe I'm misunderstanding. Not just referring to posts in this thread ftr.

i don't know, "midnight city" was the only thing i'd heard from it. and i ended up going out instead of listening to the stream anyway.

I went back and listened to Dead Cities, Before the Dawn Heals Us, and Saturdays in order to get some renewed context on the upcoming album, and am really impressed with the range that is expressed across those albums. There are also some brilliant individual moments; Gone, In the Cold I'm Standing, You Appearing, and Skin of the Night are all stunning tracks, and Gonzalez has a tremendous skill for building crescendos. I just really do not understand his fascination with the spoken-word tracks, which I think completely and utterly kill the momentum of each album on which they appear.

phanan said:
I decided to wait to pick up the CD. I'll find it much more enjoyable that way.

Same here, excited for tomorrow!

iron yuppie said:
I just really do not understand his fascination with the spoken-word tracks.

There's no understanding the French.

Is there any word on why he collaborated with Urban Outfitters of all places? Sorry, I just have a slightly irrational animosity toward that store.

UO itself doesn't bother me, but it's bullshit to ostensibly disadvantage brick and mortar independent record stores (and their patrons, for that matter) which really could use the extra business, even it's not that huge of a bump. There are plenty of people like me who enjoy seeking out limited editions, exclusives, and other curios. Why not do it like High Violet and let the independent retailers have their day?

This is made worse considering UO has cool exclusives on Bon Iver, Bon Iver, Past Life Martyred Saints, and Metals, three LPs I had already purchased before learning of the special editions. I'm just butthurt is all.

Good stuff for sure. I have to admit I'm listening on the Spotify mobile app. Hopefully Amazon or 7Digital will have this on sale in a couple weeks. I got Wild Flag and Yuck for $3.99 each on Monday.

I would think about picking up that LE vinyl next time I'm downtown.

I have to admit I'm listening on the Spotify mobile app.

I'm using Spotify as well. I've heard a couple of tracks off of both Dead Cities and Saturdays=Youth, but that's my only exposure to this guy until now. I'm three tracks in and this is pretty big stuff. Sweeping would be a word I might use. The drums, man. The drums are kicking my ass. Very strong start to the album. Can it keep up the pace?

Not sure if I'll ever be a huge fan of his vocals/vocal delivery but, yeah, exciting stuff.

Back
Top Bottom