Low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hypothetically, if I'd never heard anything by Low, but had been told I'd love them on several occasions, and hypothetically, if they were putting on a live show in Chicago tonight, and hypothetically, if that show were free, but it would still cost me transit money to get to the show, would it be worth my time?

My opinion will be very biased since they're one of my favs, but I say you should go. I can send you a couple Youtube link examples of popular tracks if you like.

I'd appreciate that. Money's just a bit tight this week because I just started my new job and haven't been paid yet, and U2's next Tuesday, but free concert's hard to pass up, even if it means driving to Chicago, especially with a band this well liked.

Decided to stick to newer tracks, as that's probably what they'll play. The promo single for the new album is above on this page (audio only youtube link). Here's the video for the first "real" single from it. My first time watching it, so I was a bit surprised by who's in it. :laugh:

YouTube - ‪Low - Try to Sleep (OFFICIAL VIDEO)‬‏

Here's a video of them performing one of my favorites live in a radio station studio. You get a decent idea of the slow / quiet / loud dynamic a lot of their songs tend to have:

YouTube - ‪Low - Murderer‬‏

Here are 3 tracks from the new album stripped down and acoustic on NPR. You'll probably get a decent idea of what they're like live, except the tracks would be electric then. :wink:

Low: Tiny Desk Concert : NPR

Slowcores's not for everyone, so no biggie if you listen to this stuff and decide you don't want to go, haha. Here's my favorite track of theirs (probably their most popular as well), for good measure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuagB3XFsd0

I'm liking what I'm hearing, but I swear if my phone dies one more time while I'm trying to make arrangements to go to this concert, someone's getting shanked.

Here at the gig now. Nobody knows who Low is, nobody is standing, and the venue is beautiful. Great way to start a ridiculous month of concerts. :up:

Hope you guys have fun! Hopefully it doesn't feel like a bummer because no one knows the band.

That record (especially the front half) was part of the soundtrack to a really awful time in my life. Kind of hard to go back, but I can't deny how good them shits is. Great music.

Hope you guys have fun! Hopefully it doesn't feel like a bummer because no one knows the band.

I saw them open up for Radiohead at Madison Square Garden (for some reason, the other opener had to back out). Talk about an odd venue for a band like Low. They still put on a good show.

Dork moment: I yelled (from the back of the arena) "I love Duluth." It was greeted with a "thank you" from the stage. Not usually "that guy" (no, really), but felt they needed a little love.

Low actually opened a fairly big number of shows for Radiohead. We Suck Young Blood was supposed their attempt at slow-core. I'm really jealous you saw them during that tour!

Low actually opened a fairly big number of shows for Radiohead. We Suck Young Blood was supposed their attempt at slow-core. I'm really jealous you saw them during that tour!

Completely accidental. Just happened to fly into town a day early for "family reunion" and knew Radiohead was playing in the city. As I got off the escalator, I saw the marquee: "RADIOHEAD with special guest LOW" and just about shit my pants. Found the first scalper and was in the arena in ten minutes.

Was that OK Computer or Kid A? I can't remember which tour / tours Low opened.

Man, such a good show. I didn't know many of the songs offhand (they did play Try To Sleep, which I love, and it was fresh in my mind), but I loved basically every song in the set. We wound up like 8 rows from the front, and the sound was remarkable.

The crowd on the other hand...just awful. A new row of people disappeared between each song, and they just seemed extremely uninterested. It was a gig geared towards casual passers-by, so the reaction is to be expected, but I was still incredibly disappointed by that. I wanted to close my eyes and just focus on the music, but I was afraid the band would think I was asleep (yes, we were that close and it was that empty). :( They probably drew better crowds in the early 90s. There were a few hardcore fans there though, cheering for certain songs and heckling those who left early (" We're going to make it to the front at this rate..." "FOOLS!"), so that was nice.

Awesome, glad it was great! I actually went for a walk and listened to C'mon this evening in honor of you guys going to the show.

:) I'll definitely listen to Cmon this week, while the songs are fresh in my mind.

This happened when I saw Sonic Youth in 2006...I wasn't familiar with Rather Ripped, but I fell in love with it at the gig. Hopefully that will happen with Cmon as well; they played a massive chunk of it tonight. Nightingale is sick.

Dork moment: I yelled (from the back of the arena) "I love Duluth." It was greeted with a "thank you" from the stage. Not usually "that guy" (no, really), but felt they needed a little love.

They're pretty big on Duluth, mentioned it more than a few times tonight, if memory serves.

Well, I had a great time. This is the first show I've ever been to, on purpose at any rate, where I went in not really knowing any material whatsoever. I was going to listen to Washed Out and Low's higher rated album tonight, actually, but going to the show was the right choice. I'll likely listen to C'Mon now first instead, since they played so much from it.

The one thing about the show that kind of bugged me was just now not interactive they were with the crowd. I guess you could use the excuse that the crowd wasn't exactly giving them a reason, but that's really all the more reason, to me, that they should have tried to engage a bit more. It wasn't that big a deal though.

I'm surprised by how many people were at the show JUST for the Swell Season guy, btw. I almost think XRT made the wrong choice on headliner. Glad we got there just in time to hear the one song I know by the guy, plus two more (one I liked, one I didn't).

Anyways, that's about all I have to say about that. I'm exhausted and need to be up in 6 hours. This was a good exercise for me to find out how bad it's going to be to go to work after the U2 gig next week. However I feel after work tomorrow, I'm going to need to multiply that feeling by about five :happy:

I live in Duluth and have seen the band a few times...most recently over the "homegrown music" week. I saw them at an old church...while they play some pretty songs and the sound there was fantastic, they're definitely not exciting. In fact, I left 3/4 way through the set because I was about to fall asleep! Not saying their music isn't great, just saying that it's extremely mellow and won't hold the attention of most average/curious listeners.

OH, I forgot about one thing that happened at the concert. It was quite an experience. Some drunk chick slapped my ass and asked me if I was staying after the party. I had half expected it to be Mia :(

LemonMelon said:
:) I'll definitely listen to Cmon this week, while the songs are fresh in my mind.

I couldn't wait: terrific album. I love the subtle fluorishes of pedal steel and banjo that filter in throughout. You See Everything is probably my favorite track for the time being, but it's tight between that one, Try To Sleep, Witches and Nothing But Heart. The start of the record is truly stellar.

Back
Top Bottom