Lotus Plaza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
"The Floodlight Collective", an album made by Deerhunter's guitar player leaked last night. i must say, this album is excellent. i would put it up there with the new Animal Collective and Here We Go Magic. i would even rate it above the Atlas Sound LP.

bump, because as Denzel Washington says in "Training Day", "This is not an option".

check it out, and discuss how great it is here. now.

Thanks for posting this, mikal. I didn't even realize that this record was happening, let alone leaking. Did Cox have anything to do with this, or is it all Lockett Pundt? I am totally in the dark, about this shit.

I haven't ever enjoyed any of Deerhunter's records (including the Atlas Sound debut, from which I particularly loved "River Card"), but I've enjoyed several individual tracks, from each. I especially enjoyed Pundt's songs, on Microcastle, so maybe this'll be a keeper, for me...? I'm definitely curious, so I suppose we'll have to see.

Thanks for posting this, mikal. I didn't even realize that this record was happening, let alone leaking. Did Cox have anything to do with this, or is it all Lockett Pundt? I am totally in the dark, about this shit.

I haven't ever enjoyed any of Deerhunter's records (including the Atlas Sound debut, from which I particularly loved "River Card"), but I've enjoyed several individual tracks, from each. I especially enjoyed Pundt's songs, on Microcastle, so maybe this'll be a keeper, for me...? I'm definitely curious, so I suppose we'll have to see.

i think Cox does backing vocals on one song, and that's it. it's definitely worth a listen. :wave:

Well, I am taking a look. "Quicksand" sounds more like Cox's descriptions of Microcastle than Microcastle itself! I can definitely hear the girl groups, in this one. I have not yet quite finished the record, so my opinion isn't fully formed or even particularly reliable. All I can say for sure is that this sounds pretty good!

And a lot better than a Deerhunter LP, too. No doubt.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'd never even have known this record existed, let alone that I should give it a listen, were it not for this thread. Decent, very self-aware, throwback cover, too:

lp-floodlight-front.jpg

Actually, to hell with "pretty good"--this record is great. I wonder how this'll hold up, as the year goes on and the spins pile up...? Man, I'm really floored/surprised by how much I enjoyed this thing! Again, thanks for the notice!

Okay, just one more post. I feel that it's important for me to let you know that after my second listen, this is my favorite record of the new year. Better than Merriweather Post Pavilion, yes. So far. That one's held up exceedingly well, in this very digital age, so The Floodlight Collective could easily fall off the map. Only time will tell.

All that I know for sure, at this point, is that this record MUST be heard. Please, anybody who is reading this--make a point of finding at least a song or two, from this thing, and giving 'em a spin. You will thank me later, just as I'm so endlessly thanking mikal, right now. If you need guidance, I'd try to locate "Antoine" (the best track), "Red Oak Way," "These Years," or "A Threaded Needle."

Holy Hades, this is a monster record!

Well, it hasn't technically come out, just yet! You needn't worry, if you can't find it. All in due course. I'll be ordering my copy, this very evening. Wonderful stuff. I just hope that it takes less than three months to get my hands on, unlike that fucking Animal Collective record.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'd never even have known this record existed, let alone that I should give it a listen, were it not for this thread. Decent, very self-aware, throwback cover, too:

no problemo! this is one of my faves lately too. :wave:

The one-two punch of "Sunday Night" and "Antoine" just literally reduced me to (fleeting) tears. I am loving this.

So would you consider this album preferable to Microcastle in terms of an introduction to this type of sound? For now I can only get one or the other.

I think that this record is infinitely better, but I'd still get Microcastle. It's two records for the price of one, and does sound EXACTLY like this. The songs are just different.

So their 2nd LP has leaked and so far it's an early candidate for my favorite album of the year. Really fantastic. I expect this album to get a lot of positive reviews.

The release date is April 2nd. If anyone would like to hear it early, PM me. :)

dammit. would someone pm me and illegally download this? i need someone else to talk to about how brilliant this album is. :angry:

I've never heard of these guys, but your enthusiasm has made me add it to my list of stuff to check out.

:up:

it's by far the best album i've heard since last year's Washed Out album, which was #1 on my 2011 list.

This album rules. Monoliths is perfect. I like this a lot more than Parallax; it's far more poppy and energetic and brings to mind a lot of the aspects of Deerhunter I love. Augh, I hope the critics praise the hell out of this album come April so people will bother with it.

Shouter was a fuckhead for bashing Microcastle though.

Glad you liked it. I as well hope it gets strong reviews. It's really deserving of a lot of praise. there isn't a weak song on the album, IMO.

ps LM, how did you like track 7? i don't have my ipod in front of me, so i can't remember the name off hand.

"Strangers" features the best drumming on the album, by far. Overall, I would rank this song probably 7th or 8th on the album.

I'm not usually a huge fan of shoegaze type music, but I was definitely digging "Antoine."

I've been listening to this a lot for the last month or two. I really enjoy it, but he overdoes it with the reverb. It suited the Floodlight Collective because the songs were more trancelike, but this record is made up of fairly traditional (excellent) songwriting, and the reverb obscures it. It would have been much better if it had Halcyon Digest style production, but it's still really good. I like both Lotus Plaza albums better than the Atlas Sound record. It seems like the Deerhunter guys are really good for Cox.

I hope Deerhunter let the guitars rip on their next record. They are rock beasts when they play live, and if they could capture that power on record (or just release a live album longer than the amazing itunes live) it would pretty much be the best thing ever released.

Deerhunter are the best band in the world.

interesting comments regarding the reverb. personally, one of the things that hooked me on this album from the start is the fact that the reverb was toned down quite a bit in comparison to The Floodlight Collective.

agreed with LM, Monoliths is by far my favorite song of the year.

Back
Top Bottom