Lollapalooza 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:( I really wanted to go this year but I can't justify the price of the flight for a 2.5 day trip...especially since I've never been there.

Are you going??

This is by far the fastest it has ever sold out. As a matter of fact, individual days typically never "sell out" until the day of the event, when the venue buys the rest of the tickets up for publicity's sake. It's fucking May.

Sunday has gotten deeper for me now that I've discovered the Jezabels :up:

Lolla Schedules are out :drool:

Mine (Traviis and I's are slightly different, we have a lot of conflicts this year)

Thursday:
Passion Pit/GIVERS

Friday
12:00-12:45 First Aid Kit
1:00-1:45 Anamanaguchi
2:15-3:00 The Black Angels
3:15-4:15 Tame Impala
4:00-5:00 Metric
4:30-5:30 Madeon (maybe)
6:15-7:00 The Shins
7:30-8:30 M83
8:05-10:00 Black Sabbath

Aftershow: Tune-Yards/Washed Out

Saturday:
12:00 JC Brooks & Uptown Sound
12:45-1:30 Los Jaivas
1:30-2:15 Bear In Heaven
2:15-3:15 Delta Spirit
3:00-4:00 Neon Indian
4:45-5:30 fun.
6:00-7:00 The Weeknd
7:00-8:00 Bloc Party
8:00-10:00 Red Hot Chili Peppers
Aftershow: Twin Shadow

Sunday:
12:00-12:45 Bowerbirds
12:45-1:30 Bombay Bicycle Club
1:45-2:30 The Devil Makes Three
2:30-3:15 White Rabbits
3:30-4:15 Dum Dum Girls
4:45-5:30 The Gaslight Anthem
6:15-7:30 Florence + The Machine
7:15-8:15 The Big Pink
8:45-10:00 Kaskade
Aftershow: Chairlift

Biggest disaster of the weekend: fun. is playing the grove in the middle of the afternoon. It's going to be like Passion Pit all over again, except this time, Lolla has no excuse, they knew how big they were.

It's going to be a great weekend. Shame about Franz/The Weekend and the insulting placement of Sigur Ros. I feel so much sympathy for their hardcore fans with tickets. I may skip them, honestly.

Just had my tickets shipped out today, and saw the calendar.

Friday looks terrible to me, but that's okay because I'm going to be late arriving in from Orlando anyways. Only two acts from Friday that I can say for certain is The Shins and M83.

As for Saturday, Delta Spirit will probably be my earliest sure show, then Temper Trap. Kinda pissed that they put fun., B.o.B., and The Temper trap all at the same time. Probably gonna have to end up skipping Franz and just sitting tight for Bloc Party, and then off for (most likely) RHCP.

Here's the laughs though, Sunday is hands down my favorite day. Would've seen Mona early in the day but I'll have to pass as Bombay Bicycle Club will be a definite. Got a conflict with Sigur Ros and Gaslight Anthem, but considering I like Gaslight way more and Of Monsters and Men and The Big Pink follow them on the same stage, I'll probably just sit tight for that. Which would mean missing Florence, because they conflict. Sunday is full of conflicting times for me. Don't wanna miss Miike Snow either though... might see Childish Gambino as a headliner. Not sure yet.

Gotta work out a plan between my friends and I.

I think I'm doing the exact opposite of 7 for the entire weekend.

No, really, I think Friday (with the Tune Yards/Washed Out aftershow) is unstoppable (and conflict-free) and Sunday is a giant clusterfuck. They took the weakest day and paired all the good bands together.

I have decided to skip Fun and Sigur Ros altogether. I know I love those bands, but the point of the festival is to have a good time, and people may very well get trampled at Fun. Sigur Ros is supporting one of their weakest albums in the middle of the day, and with that hour long set, they'll probably play 6 songs, mostly from Valtari. I'd much rather see the entirety of Dum Dum Girls and Gaslight Anthem.

Thinking of seeing the first half hour of Florence and then catching the Jezabels' set. Florence is great live, but I've already seen her, and Ceremonials didn't add a lot of must-sees. Maybe they'll play What The Water Gave Me early.

After re-considering as a group and getting more input from person #3 in our trip, it looks like we're adding a few more acts.

Friday will be the same (late arrival):

Die Antwoord
The Shins
M83
Black Keys

Saturday:

Delta Spirit
The Temper Trap
FUN.
*Washed Out
Bloc Party
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Sunday:

Bombay Bicycle Club
*White Rabbits
The Gaslight Anthem
**Sigur Ros (I'm not going)
Of Monsters and Men
The Big Pink
Childish Gambino
Jack White

Since Gambino means nothing to me, I'll just go to Jack White because my friend wants to go (despite the good spot I'll have for Gambino).

Okay not a whole lot extra, just Washed Out, really. I'm excited though! Six days.

I was up real damn close just 30 minutes from Temper Trap and they came out and announced that the show had been suspended until further notice due to weather :(

Just finished up with fun. from a million miles in the back. Got a good spot ready for Washed Out. Awaiting word on Temper Trap/Alabama Shakes to see if they're rescheduled for Sunday or just flat out canceled.

Oh an fuck the Lollapalooza employees. Guy checking bags woulsnt let me re-enter with a water filled camelpack. He put his hand on me and pushed me away and told me "go and empty it now". Fuck that, I filled it up in the park and waited in the middle of the city for re-entry through a storm. So I took it and spiked the water bag in the trash, dumbfuck. Ugh, use some logical deduction you dickhead.

Severe storm. It was pretty scary once it actually it, but people were pretty enraged that they called it quits an hour before the storm hit.

I'm surprised that happened, LN7. At the north entrance they weren't checking anything. Kind of unnerving.

Went to see Washed Out without knowing about the schedule reshuffle, so was pleased too find myself on the soundboard rail for fun. Until I realized how atrocious their "fans" were. I almost cried at the response "Walking the Dog" got. It was in a commercial for goodness sake.

Bloc Party was beyond amazing. I never in a million years expected them to be so good live.

Rhcp did not disappoint and they played my two favorite tunes back to back.

Great day.

So people are mad because things were halted before a storm hit, but if they'd been playing and another stage collapse had happened, people would complain that things weren't stopped early. Can't please 'em all, I guess.

I'm glad they erred on the safe side. We've had enough tragedies at festivals in recent years.

bono_212 said:
Severe storm. It was pretty scary once it actually it, but people were pretty enraged that they called it quits an hour before the storm hit.

I'm surprised that happened, LN7. At the north entrance they weren't checking anything. Kind of unnerving.

Went to see Washed Out without knowing about the schedule reshuffle, so was pleased too find myself on the soundboard rail for fun. Until I realized how atrocious their "fans" were. I almost cried at the response "Walking the Dog" got. It was in a commercial for goodness sake.

Bloc Party was beyond amazing. I never in a million years expected them to be so good live.

Rhcp did not disappoint and they played my two favorite tunes back to back.

Great day.

Looks like we hit up all the same shows post-storm. I, too, as very disappointed with the fun 'fans'. It was a bunch of skanks and bros waitijg for We Are Young and then probably heading for the oontz oontz stage. There were way too many people there for that stage though.

Washed Out were okay, but pretty yawn-inspiring in terms of the way they handled their crowd.

Bloc Party were amazing, wish I didn't miss the first couple of songs though.

And I feel like my RHCP fandom was redeemed tonight. When I saw them in Tampa I was really disappointed. I figured that they would've been way better to see in a GA crowd, and naturally that was true enough.

Overall the whole day was pretty successful given the potential to be ruined. I am quite upset that one of only three acts to get canceled was The Temper Trap though. They were my favorite act at Lolla. But they're coming to Orlando in October so I guess ill get another chance. Oh, and that lil mishap at the gate with security. I am just now realizing that I might have broken a bone when I slam-dunked the camelpack in the trash. It was a bit of an overreaction on my part, but its just ridiculous that you'd dare put your hands on me over a couple of ounces of water after waiting out a storm in a city I'm not from, meanwhile you're letting all forms of weapons and drugs in the park that you don't even know about. Guess I'm gonna have to find a new water sack for my bag...

Successful trip, headed to Michigan in the morning. Glad I did it.

The Big Pink and Bombay Bicycle Club were my two favorite acts of the weekend, so Sunday was great.

Also, some cunt unzipped my backpack during Gambino and stole my Lolla shirt and somesun tan lotion. Seriously, people suck. Why is stealing even on your mind during the show? Whatever though, I'm not gonna let some jackass and a $20 shirt ruin what was otherwise an excellent day.

The gambino people were assholes, I'm sorry that happened. And yeah, the big Pink were the best of the weekend. By far. I've never seen something quite like that before.

Gambino blows anyhow, I stayed the fuck away from that shit and enjoyed a badass Jack White set that saw me pogoing like a motherfucker. It was probably embarrassing to watch. Didn't care. Today was awesome and far calmer than that trainwreck yesterday, but the small crowds post-apocalypse were quite nice as well.

I'm going to post more detailed reviews in individual threads, but for now, here's a top 10 sets, with quick comments:

1. The Jezabels (what a remarkable band...nobody went to this, but I was spellbound. Endless Summer made me cry manly tears)
2. The Shins (their performance was great, but the setlist put it over the top)
3. Tame Impala (pretty much a given; they can do no wrong for me at the moment)
4. Frank Ocean (not my idea of a great setlist, but he transformed the Nostalgia, Ultra material and Pyramids was out of control)
5. Twin Shadow (he only played for like a half hour, so I can't rank it any higher, but every song was great, especially Fire Seconds)
6. The Gaslight Anthem (every bit as intense and joyful as I had expected; Handwritten and 59 Sound back to back was a weekend highlight)
7. Black Sabbath (I only watched about half of this set, but it sounded great while I was there, and the song choices were a fan's dream)
8. Jack White (can't go wrong here; his band was tremendous, the show was paced extremely well, Ball and Biscuit :heart:, etc.)
9. The Weeknd (not a naturally great live act, they somehow managed to adjust anyhow by increasing the urgency and volume)
10. Los Jaivas (though this was part of a reunion tour, the band played rust-free, professional Chilean prog with a heavy dose of charm; a great surprise)

I also really liked Dum Dum Girls and Bombay Bicycle Club.

M83 should be up there, but the crowd/stage was insufferable. Really a miserable experience in spite of their excellent tunes.

When I get into Michigan and have a chance to use my laptop ill post some pics, read all that, and tell my own lil tales. This has been an adventure much like U2 Philly. Going long distances and doing things that I never thought I would. Glad it all worked out, took months of planning and I couldn't have done it alone. On an interesting note - Bombay Bicycle Club was my next planned show back in Orlando. Then M83, and then I believe The Temper Trap which will be redeeming.

What the hell, let's do a play by play.

This comes with the warning that Friday I was really feeling shitty because of the weather, but anyways, carry on!

FRIDAY:
First Aid Kit - Never heard a note of their music before, but it was pleasant and I'm glad to have experienced it.
Anamanaguchi - I wish their lead singer would have stopped trying to be a cool, "I don't give a shit" kind of guy, because it was putting me off. Otherwise, it was pretty much 8-bit chillwave and very awesome.
Michael Kiwanuka - Not my thing, but a beautiful voice. Covered a Hendrix tune which was nice.
The War on Drugs - As I said in their thread, it's not that I didn't like them, the set was just so radically different from their normal sound it kind of surprised me a bit is all. I still don't love them as much as I expected to the first time I heard "Baby Missiles", but they're a great band and I hope to hear some new music from them soon.
The Verve Pipe attempt #1 - Schedule error, they weren't actually there. This was at the kid's stage, so I did get to see some awesome tumblers. I'll post video later. They were pretty cool though.
Metric - Better than the last time I saw them, but still didn't keep my attention for a whole set. It really was just ungodly hot too, which didn't help. Plus, I'd never been to Perry's before and really wanted to give it a go, so after 7 songs I saw...
Madeon - Really great time here. Didn't play his "Smile Like You Mean It" remix, but he did sample some "Mr. Brightside" and he played all of his "Song 2" remix. Did NOT play all of "Pop Culture" though, which kind of pissed me off, but generally he was very good.
A clusterfuck occurred where I would have been seeing Passion Pit, so I only got to hear "Moth's Wings" unfortunately :(. Was amazing, and I was glad to see the lead singer looking so happy. I hope they don't break up or something. I need to see them at their own show.
Said clusterfuck extended over to The Shins, but I did get to hear "Kissing the Lipless" and "New Slang" and a bit of "Phantom Limb". Another one I'll have to just hope come around again sometime.
M83/Nero - I didn't see Nero at all, but I just should have because M83's crowd was just awful. Clearly only there to here "Midnight City", plus the sound from the Sony stage was a fucking joke. SO, I missed my two #1 seed bands in the end because I barely count that experience as having seen M83.
BLACK FUCKING SABBATH - Holy shit. They were horrible and amazing at the same time. I mean, they're just clearly so old, and yet they still rock so hard. Ozzy is a crazy old bat for sure. All he ever did was yell, "COME ON!" and once he yelled, "CLAP YOUR FUCKING HANDS!" which made me laugh so fucking hard. A lot of old guys in the crowd, which was great. A lot of douches who only wanted to hear "Paranoid", but generally a great crowd and I will cherish the experience, though I never got to a spot where I could actually see Ozzy with my own eyes :(.

SATURDAY:

Los Jaivas - This one was on Travis' recommendation, and I listened to their most popular album before I saw them, but still ad trepidation. That was all gone the moment we arrived. They were an adorable group of older gentlemen (and one younger lady on drums) who were just so happy to be playing music. The coolest thing was that, being an older Chilean band, I was shocked to see so many fans there. It always brings me happiness to see huge fans at shows like this.
Bear in Heaven - Having not enjoyed their last album, and not yet having heard their new, I again had trepidations, but, when The Sad Punk tells you to see a band, you do not deny her. And she was right. Bear in Heaven were great, but they need to work on their stage presence. The lead singer tries hard, but he can only do so much. Maybe they're a bit better in the dark.
Aloe Blacc - Didn't go over to his show because we were waiting for Neon Indian, but the main stage was loud enough that we may as well have been over there. That man needs a dollar, guys, and he sang about it for about 10 minutes, which was fun.
Neon Indian - Better than the last time I saw him because he couldn't bring the seizure lights. Weird visuals, but he was definitely bringing the tunes. Of course, unfortunately, after about 25 minutes, he was pulled off the stage because of the severe weather. He promised to make it up to us though :hmm:. He also warned "those who may be taking psychotropics for the first time, do not be scared of the storm. The feeling you have is going to go away, I promise."
The Verve Pipe attempt #2 - rained out
fun. - Well, I didn't MEAN to go see them, I thought I was seeing Washed Out. I love fun. so much, and what I saw that day will go down as one of the most depressing concert experiences of my life.
Washed Out - I really just was not digging these guys live. I don't know what it was about them, but I left after four songs.
Bloc Party - Holy shit. These guys...they just brought it. The crowd was loving them, and they were having such a wonderful time. I can't wait for a chance to see them again. I am pretty broke now after Lolla, but I know they're coming back soon. I definitely cried like a baby during "This Modern Love" too, and I don't care.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - A bit of a dream realized. I've loved them since I was about 12, and while that love has waned over the years, I've still always wanted to see them live. At first, I was in the middle of the crowd, which was great, because they were into every note of every song, even new ones. I got my biggest wish and "Snow" and "Otherside" were played. Back to back, in fact. After that, I hung to the left, because I couldn't see otherwise. Wish I'd thought to do that at Black Sabbath, because I had a fantastic view, though sound quality minorly suffered. "Under the Bridge", "Can't Stop", "By the Way", "Suck My Kiss" and "Californication" were just fucking epic. I can't say enough about how much I loved their set.

SUNDAY:

The Verve Pipe attempt #3: I almost cried when I walked over to Kidzaplooza and noticed that they weren't listed on the schedule. It was definitely a "You've got to be fucking kidding me" moment. But apparently they decided that two schedule errors and a rainout were enough, and they played anyways. They did not play "The Freshman" and I'm actually glad they didn't because of all the douchebags there who kept calling for it. Their kids songs are pretty fun, and seeing the lead singer pour cereal out of his guitar was something else. I'm not kidding, I really enjoyed their set.
Bombay Bicycle Club - I'll have to listen to some of their music now, because their set was quite enjoyable.
Polica - The only band of the weekend I just did not like. At all.
Trampled By Turtles - I don't know when I became such a huge fan of bluegrass music, but I'm apparently way into it right now because these guys blew the roof off it for me. Haven't heard more than two songs by them before, though, so I'll need to rectify that.
Dum Dum Girls - Here's where shit got serious. I came over to the Grove pretty much just to see Gaslight Anthem. So my main goal during DDG was to move up as close as possible. In the meanwhile, it turns out I quite like their music, and will be giving them a listen later this evening.
Gaslight Anthem - With M83 and Nero out of the way, these guys were my #1 wish of the weekend, and they didn't let me down. I could have picked a better setlist for myself, personally, but the energy was intense and I just love to see a band smile. Hearing so many people sing the chorus to "Old White Lincoln" so loud that it turned into a mess of screaming may not sound like a good time to some, but I couldn't have been happier.
Of Monsters and Men - It wasn't my goal to end up on the front rail, but when this douchebag behind me wouldn't shut up about how much he didn't give a shit about Gaslight Anthem and was only there to see Of Monsters and Men, well, at that point, it was my mission to fuck him over. I was always in front of him anyways. So when a rail spot opened up, I beat him to it and he spent the rest of the show smashing me into the rail and called me a 15 year old bitch. I don't care. I had a great time. Didn't care much for Of Monsters and Men's album, but live they tore it up. I really didn't expect to enjoy them much at all and instead they turned out to be one of my favorite shows of the weekend.
The Big Pink - By the time The Big Pink took the stage, I almost wished OMAM guy was back, because The Big Pink got a bit fucked over by all of the really fucking obnoxious Childish Gambino fans. The two next to me spent the whole 30 minute gap talking about how there were no Big Pink fans on the front rail and how much it was going to suck for them and how they were going to have to pretend they liked them so they wouldn't be embarrassed on the live stream and blah blah blah. It made me a bit sick. So, at that moment, I became the world's greatest Big Pink fan. Even when I didn't know a song (which only happened like twice) I just pretended to sing along to every word. Fist in the air the hole time. It was great too because they might have been the loudest band of the weekend and the two next to me were miserable. And if you think I'm overreacting, the chick had the nerve to actually talk during the first song. On the front rail. You just...don't run into that shit very often. The Big Pink themselves were on fire. They mentioned that they had changed their sound for this show, and they did. I don't know if it was because they knew they were coming on before a hip hop act or what, but it was like a mixture of DJ/Shoegaze/Dance/Hip Hop and was one of the strangest most energetic experiences of my life. Also the lead singer mingled with the crowd twice and leaned right up on me which was the first time that had ever happened to me at a concert. I really hope that I can somehow find the live stream of this show online somewhere because it was fucking nuts.
Kaskade - Finally the weekend ends with Kaskade. I didn't know if a Perry's crowd would just be high out of their minds and not care who was playing or what, but I was relieved to see that they all knew Kaskade's music and were so into it that even I (a very introverted person) was dancing near the end. A perfect ending to what started as a kind of shitty weekend.

Oh wait...

was it over....

...no...because...I want to one aftershow.

Chairlift - This was one of the strangest experiences I have yet had at a concert. It seemed like about 10 people at the show knew who they were, and at one point the lead singer had to tell this girl in the middle of the crowd to shut up because she was practically screaming talking. This got a huge cheer from the crowd. Other than that, the show was pretty great. They seemed to enjoy themselves, despite some really big problems with the sound mix, and they played a great set. "I Belong In Your Arms" has been elevated to my favorite song by them.

God, what a weekend. The few pics and videos I have to come.

Top Ten:
1) The Big Pink
2) Bloc Party
3) Red Hot Chili Peppers
4) Of Monsters and Men
5) Black Sabbath
6) Kaskade
7) Gaslight Anthem
8) Los Jaivas
9) Madeon
10) fun. (themselves even if the crowd was just atrocious)

HM to The Verve Pipe, again, that is unironic.

bono_212 said:
Hey, LN7, you weren't wearing a U2 shirt on Sunday, were you? :wink:

No shirt at all for most of Sunday, actually. Put it back on at the start of Gaslight I think, and now I have an awesome sunburn of my backpack. Ill post some pics, maybe you'll recognize me considering it sounds like you saw just about all of the shows I saw. Come to think of itthouh, I was wearin some Bono-esque shades (but not really).

Gambino blows anyhow, I stayed the fuck away from that shit and enjoyed a badass Jack White set that saw me pogoing like a motherfucker. It was probably embarrassing to watch. Didn't care. Today was awesome and far calmer than that trainwreck yesterday, but the small crowds post-apocalypse were quite nice as well.

I also really liked Dum Dum Girls and Bombay Bicycle Club.

M83 should be up there, but the crowd/stage was insufferable. Really a miserable experience in spite of their excellent tunes.

Gambino is pretty lame, I agree. I probably wouldn't venture to say he blows, but I don't really like his music. Also, who cares what people think. I've made more scenes at shows than I can imagine. Most recently... The Big Pink. Some girl was giving me grief because I was bumping into her. Must've just been there for Gambino, who knows...

All I could think of during the Dum Dum Girls was... L7. No, not my name.

Back
Top Bottom