Life After R.E.M.: Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only heard Country Feedback for the first time recently, but I really, really love it.

I think I'm gonna start looking into this band a bit more.

Cobbler, I'd suggest going chronologically. Seriously. If you listen to the band's songs in isolation you'd view them as a sad folk-rock band, but if you listen chronologically you'll realise there's layers that appear and disappear as the band develops - Murmur and Monster could not be less alike, for instance.

So start with Murmur and gradually work your way through - it's incredibly rewarding.

Good point, actually.

I always consider Chronic Town as part of the Dead Letter Office collection, and probably don't hold it in as high of a regard as I should. DLO has some great tunes (Crazy, Ages) but some absolute clunkers too.

But yeah, Chronic Town is really strong; start there. Houses in order and all that.

Listening to Murmur right now. I realize all good things must end, but I really MISS THIS BAND!

it's kinds of albums like monster turning 20 where i remember man, i'm getting old.

Yep.

It's also weird for me to think I'm now the same age (34) as Stipe was when they released Monster

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

a birthday or two ago it dawned on me that every one of the beatles were younger than i'd just turned, when they broke up.

Monster was a HUGE album for me. It came out at the height of my music addiction and discovery era during the mid teenage years. The 90s... :(

I know what I'm requesting as a Christmas gift ....

REMHQ Store

:drool:

That sounds really cool but am I missing something here?... I thought R.E.M. was an indie/college rock band in the 80s. Did MTV even know that they existed?

I've been listening to 'Up' over the past couple of days. What a great album! So different from the rest of their discography up to that point but yet so awesome! So many great songs... Lotus, Suspicion, Hope, The Apologist, Sad Professor, You're In The Air, Walk Unafraid, Why Not Smile, Daysleeper, Diminished, Falls To Climb... I love 'em all! :love:

REM got plenty of play on MTV in the 80's. Not Duran Duran or Madonna levels, but their early videos got shown a fair amount (Fall on Me was in heavy rotation when it came out) and I believe they ran at least one earlyish live REM show.
MTV was a very different animal back then.

Monster turns 20.

Damn. This was one of the first albums I remember buying the day it came out.

Yes, I had become a big REM fan in the early 90's, so I was really looking forward to this album. This was their first "rocking" album since Green and I was psyched. Crush With Eyeliner is my favorite song. I saw them for the first time on this tour in June 1995 at MSG. I still have the concert shirt. It was the one with the star on front. It's a little tight now. :wink:

MTV was a very different animal back then.

That, I agree. Even in the 90s (which I am more familiar with than the 80s) MTV was a very different animal than what it is now.

Damn I would've loved to see them on the Monster tour! But at least I got to see them live twice during the 00s. And I got a very cool tshirt that I still wear from one of those shows in 2008.

Back
Top Bottom