Let's discuss those soddin' Mountain Goats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Over the past year, I've gone from loathing this band to considering them pretty much my favorite indie folk group going right now (I rediscovered them through usage of "No Children" and "Old College Try" on the last season of Moral Orel, a show I sorely miss), and we all know there's a fucking ton out there. That about face seems startling, but their music lends itself well to dissection and repeated listens, thanks in large part to the dense literary references and conceptual overtones of their albums. The music is a lot more simplistic, often utilizing only acoustic guitar, piano, vocals, etc. Doesn't matter though, because John Darnielle has a way with a tune, and that's what sticks with you anyway.

I'm not exactly new to their music, per se, but I suck at working through discographies, so I've only heard four of their albums. The cover of Tallahassee has been my avatar on numerous occasions, and I pimp that album at every opportunity. It absolutely breaks my heart every time I listen to it, cutting through all the bullshit of the breakup album format to get right to the core feelings behind it all. It's one of the most bittersweet albums ever recorded. Also, it earns the prize for most creative/extensive use of similie throughout. Best song:

YouTube - The Mountain Goats - No Children

Another very notable release is The Sunset Tree, a tribute to Darnielle's adolescence, and the regular abuse he took from his stepfather. While Tallahassee often feels decidedly third-person, Sunset Tree is uncomfortably direct. If you connect with story though, and I know many would, especially his reflections on how music shaped his life at the time, it's oddly comforting. Great record. Their earlier, more lo-fi shit is just as good from what I've heard, All Hail West Texas in particular.

Also...

p2790_john-elen.jpg

John Darnielle will kill you and your pig if you don't pronounce his name right. It's Dar-kneel, dammit. But he won't storm off stage, so at least he's a step ahead of Morrissey.

Just got back from seeing them live, it was quite an epic night for me. Being only familiar with Tallahassee and The Sunset Tree I have a lot to catch up on as far as discography goes. (I have heard their new album, but I didn't much care for it on first listen, now that I've heard the material live, I'm anxious to give it another go).

On a personal note, I must say The Sunset Tree is a very...hard album for me to listen to. That being said, it is by far my favorite. As you said, it can be a bit cathartic to listen to it an know you're not along in those...situations.

Anyways, I wrote about the concert here: Concert Review – The Mountain Goats – Granada Theater, Dallas, TX 11/19/09 ? An Ocean of Noise (blog pimp)

"This Year" is a fucking awesome song. I've never listened to an album in full, though. Probably should.

I've never bought any of their albums, as it always seemed like the type of band I'd probably end up having to buy their entire back catalog because I liked them too much.

It's pretty sad I frequently avoid bands because I think I'll like them. :huh:

Tallahassee was an absolutely terrific addition to my life.

Slow West Vultures is the best song about meth addiction since Amy Winehouse's cover of It's My Party.

Oh don't get me started. Otherwise I'll turn into the AmyWinehouseCrackHositUpontheIt'sMyPartyCover Appreciation thread, and no one wants to to see that.

I've never bought any of their albums, as it always seemed like the type of band I'd probably end up having to buy their entire back catalog because I liked them too much.

It's pretty sad I frequently avoid bands because I think I'll like them. :huh:

haha, i know what you mean. well, about avoiding bands because you think you'll like them. not about thinking i'd also like the mountain goats, because i have heard far too much of their stuff and am very well aware how much i hate that stuff. some guy at work subjected me to a few albums that bored me to tears til i threatened to throw his ipod out the window. we'll put it this way. i have no love for lcd soundsystem now, but at that point in time the first lcd album sounded wonderful compared after that barrage.

but back to that other thing. i know i avoid bands i'm sure i'll like because it will inevitably lead to back catalogue acquiring. and anything like the mountain goats would be a pain in the ass to one day wake up and decide i actually love because of that enormous discography looming over me, nevermind the whole lack of decent local record stores thing.

Some Kind of Hate was a joke though, so that post must be one also.

IWB, always kiddin'. :wink:

hahaha.

i'm sure a lot of my animosity is associated with that kid from work, because i can't stand him and therefore his taste in music is suspect at best. although i think i'd call it suspect even if i saw his ipod somewhere and didn't know to attribute it to him. he and i have very different thoughts on our choice of occupation, him leaning toward that whole thinking it's somehow heroic and that paramedics actually save people. me leaning toward yes, you can call me an ambulance driver because that's what i do--i drive an ambulance. wellfare taxi rides to the ER for things that are very rarely actually emergencies. back to the band, though, i remember thinking well, shit. of course it's easy to be that prolific when all your songs sound exactly the same.

but the most important thing i'd like to share with you guys, before i not-so-quietly make my exit from this thread: during the course of typing this post, i managed to blow up a bowl of soup in the microwave.

You also aided this thread in almost reaching two pages on the most generous setting. No hard feelings. :)

My favorite song from the new album, due out March 29.

YouTube - The Mountain Goats - Outer Scorpion Squadron

Friggin beautiful, man.

Oooooooooh. That IS pretty. I love the music-those strings, GUH! Very, very nice.

With this song and the one you shared at the beginning of the thread (which is also good), I can now say I've heard a whopping five songs by this band :p. But I do like what I have heard, so may have to do a bit more investigating, then, I take it.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom