LCD Soundsystem: One Thread Is Never Enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard a range of different things about the concert itself, but I feel pretty confident we'll get the full thing on DVD. Some of us may go for DVD-A, from DB WOW.

You know what I want to know? How did the post-gig/morning after filming come about? All I've read suggests Murphy was pretty hungover about the whole thing, ie turned his phone off upon seeing he had 15 voicemails and went to walk the dog, etc. He must be really good mates with whoever filmed it, or else just a really good bloke.

You know what I want to know? How did the post-gig/morning after filming come about? All I've read suggests Murphy was pretty hungover about the whole thing, ie turned his phone off upon seeing he had 15 voicemails and went to walk the dog, etc. He must be really good mates with whoever filmed it, or else just a really good bloke.

While they were filmed nicely, these parts felt a little weird to me. It's impossible to act as you normally would with a couple camera guys hovering around you, so it really didn't feel like those moments were genuine

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's not just him, my brain jumps to shit like this about everyone. When Robert Christgau "retired" I found it pretty convenient that he was doing so while also promoting his new book. And is he retired now? Hell no.

No doubt a lot people do shit like that. Murphy I don't think is/was contriving anything. I think he made his decision quite genuinely, and then became genuinely conflicted about it.

But the minute I heard he was retiring the band, my first thought was they'd be back - just because how can you be that good and love something so much and then stop doing it so young. It just didn't make sense.

I hope they make more music and tour again because I'm pretty sad and pissed I didn't get to see them live.

I agree. More than anything else, I want to see them live. /selfish.

Has anyone seen a James Murphy DJ set? If so, what does he do?

While they were filmed nicely, these parts felt a little weird to me. It's impossible to act as you normally would with a couple camera guys hovering around you, so it really didn't feel like those moments were genuine

It occurred to me, but for me wasn't a distraction. When he was looking at all the equipment towards the end...that seemed real.

If you're coming from a place of being jaded cos you wanted to see them live, then I totally get it. Second best show I've seen, after U2 in 06.

He DJ'd here a few months ago and I was really tempted, but didn't end up going.

Jive Turkey said:

Yeah that's what I was wondering. It only occurred to me the other day, how they could possibly have portrayed that as "natural".

Oh, and Murphy's French Bulldog is completely adorable, mofo. Now I want one.

Saturday. What color is his?

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's not just him, my brain jumps to shit like this about everyone. When Robert Christgau "retired" I found it pretty convenient that he was doing so while also promoting his new book. And is he retired now? Hell no.

I'm the same way. We've all been burned far too many times by musicians / entertainers saying they're "retiring" and making another album 4 years later. I don't think most people in entertainment know what "retire" or "quit" actually means.

I was going to say it seems like athletes are the worst about the whole retirement thing, but how many "farewell" tours has kiss done? And why won't they go away for real?

I just assume everything any band does is to make money. It's their job, they put out a product and are paid for it. Ok, call that product art. But it's still designed to make the artist some money, whether it's going to put dinner on the table or purchase a private jet. I don't really know how sincerity comes into play, or matters. All that really matters is that the product doesnt suck enough that people wont buy it.

Well, see the film and then decide on Murphy. LCD Soundsystem isn't Kiss.

A colleague announced her retirement with a big splash and then changed her mind two months later and just went to part-time instead. She was completely tortured by the decision, convinced it was the right thing to do, then decided it wasn't. It's a huge life decision and people change their minds about lesser stuff all the time, why not the big stuff?

mofo - his dog is black and white and fat and adorable.

Rumor is the DVD will include the entire concert, but AFAIK there hasn't been any official announcement yet.

That would be so cool - I came away from the movie really wishing I could see the whole show.

I did actually see them back in 2007 when they opened for Arcade Fire. I barely remember any specifics. I danced a bit (I think at the time I only knew Daft Punk Is Playing ...), and remember my friend and I were both annoyed by how long Yeah went on. "If he sings 'yeah' one more time ...."

Enjoyed the movie. Sold out show in Seattle at a great theater with amazing sound and comfy seats. Really surprised by how few people I saw bobbing their heads in a limited sort of chair-dancing. I sure was, and one woman near me, I swear she was about to have a seizure if she couldn't get up and dance. She eventually went to stand by the exit out of the way and danced by herself. Heh.

I felt like the only person there who didn't know who Reggie Watts was. "He's from Seattle," the kid next to me told me. But even after Googling him, I don't recognize him or his name. Really dug the song he sang, though.

Whatever that second song in the movie was, I had to plug my ears. The sound at Cinerama is glorious, but that was Kings-of-Leon-level ear piercing. Thank god it was just for that one song.

I guess he's mostly known as a comedian? I don't really follow comedians and if they aren't some big name (bigger than Reggie Watts, apparently), I have no idea who they are. :shrug:

What has he done that you think I would have known him from? Looking at his Wiki page, I saw a few things he'd done, but nothing I'd seen personally (i.e., opening for Conan's tour) or seen on TV (his thing on IFC). I didn't see much listed there music-wise, so I'm guessing his main thing is comedy?

Yeah his main thing is comedy, so I've seen him on talk shows, comedy festivals like Montreal or Edinburgh, and he's acted in some shit as well I think. Really smart, funny and very talented.

Gonna have to listen to 45:33 on the way to work this morning now.

I don't even know if I still have my copy of 45:33. I might have listened to it once and given it away. Damn it!

corianderstem said:
I don't even know if I still have my copy of 45:33. I might have listened to it once and given it away. Damn it!

I actually really love it (no surprises there I'm sure). The first bit would be in my LCD top 10, I can't get enough of that piano hook.

I don't remember liking it all that much, but if that song that Reggie Watts sang on is on it, I must have been taking crazy pills, because that was great.

Oh - almost at the end (I think it was the song prior to New York I Love You), was there a guest guitarist on stage? I thought I heard people in the audience cheering when he appeared, but I had no idea who it was (surprise). Short hair, wore a dark suit.

I recognized Arcade Fire (duh) and caught a glimpse of Donald Glover, but did not realize that was Aziz Ansari doing the crowd-surfing! I don't know how I missed that. Heh.

corianderstem said:
I don't remember liking it all that much, but if that song that Reggie Watts sang on is on it, I must have been taking crazy pills, because that was great.

Yeah it's the first part. Goes about 10 minutes before leading into prototype Someone Great. Reggie doesn't sing on it though.

I was incredibly disappointed with Sound of Silver when it came out, and I place all the blame on 45:33. It really annoyed me that he'd used sections from it as the major melodies of Sound of Silver songs.

Aside from Someone Great, and maybe parts of the title track at a stretch, I can't see any similarities? I do wonder what it would have been like to have been a fan from the start. I think it would have been cool to see them develop 45:33 part iii into Someone Great. And without it we wouldn't have Someone Great at all!

I was incredibly disappointed with Sound of Silver when it came out, and I place all the blame on 45:33. It really annoyed me that he'd used sections from it as the major melodies of Sound of Silver songs.

Oh, that's right.

I think his last CD is my favorite of the three. I love a bunch of the songs on Sound of Silver, but there's nothing I dislike on This Is Happening (maybe Pow Pow).

corianderstem said:
Oh, that's right.

I think his last CD is my favorite of the three. I love a bunch of the songs on Sound of Silver, but there's nothing I dislike on This Is Happening (maybe Pow Pow).

Somebody's Calling Me is my least fav on that one by miles. Love the rest.

Peef likes Pow Pow, except for the bit where they say "pow pow".

u2popmofo said:
Yeah, I don't know why, but it really bugged me at the time. I got over it.

* SPOILER *

Yeah I've seen it. :lol: I love the confused face he does and the way he says what after he repeats the idiom.

The chip stand no chances.

joyfulgirl said:
Well, see the film and then decide on Murphy. LCD Soundsystem isn't Kiss.

Haha, I know. I know. I won't be seeing it, they have one or two songs I like and that's pretty much it. I hadn't actually realized I was even in the LCD thread since I didn't see what I'd clicked, and we talk about them so much in random music. Oops.

I don't really care for the song in general, but the pows are my least favorite part.

PhilsFan said:
Thank God someone else feels that way. I've been getting beaten to death for two years for that.

You mentioned it three times, and Cobbler more like thirty.

Haha, I know. I know. I won't be seeing it, they have one or two songs I like and that's pretty much it. I hadn't actually realized I was even in the LCD thread since I didn't see what I'd clicked, and we talk about them so much in random music. Oops.

Well, then gtf out of here. :wink:

Thank God someone else feels that way. I've been getting beaten to death for two years for that.

The pows pows are also my least favorite part of the song, and probably my least favorite song on that record, although I like the pows better since we started making jokes about it. And I could see enjoying the pows live. It might be more fun to sing the pows than to hear someone else sing the pows. (Wtf am I even talking about? I need to eat.)

There are no pows to be heard in SUAPTH.

Back
Top Bottom