Lana Del Rey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SNL already? Without even an official album or single release? Wow. Whoever came up with the marketing scheme for her deserves a raise.

I thought she was one big marketing scheme?:ohmy:

anyways I like her two singles so far

Lana Del Rey may only have two great songs thus far, but that's two more than Foster The People, Katy Perry, Michael Bublé and Maroon 5 have had....all of whom have appeared on SNL this season.

Lana Del Rey may only have two great songs thus far, but that's two more than Foster The People, Katy Perry, Michael Bublé and Maroon 5 have had....all of whom have appeared on SNL this season.

Whatever you think of the quality of their music, at least those artists had actually released albums and sold records before they got their SNL slot. This booking, on the other hand, is based entirely on internet hype generated by a marketing team. The girl may be talented but it just seems like too much too soon. It's just not a natural progression. Yes, tons of people are still leaping on her bandwagon but at the same time I've already seen comments on Twitter and articles like the one linked below calling her overrated and overhyped. I can't think of another artist getting that kind of reaction before their album is even released. I think she's going sell well this year but I'm not sure it's going to translate into long term success.

Lana Del Rey: 2012's zero-talent star | Stuff.co.nz

Whatever you think of the quality of their music, at least those artists had actually released albums and sold records before they got their SNL slot. This booking, on the other hand, is based entirely on internet hype generated by a marketing team. The girl may be talented but it just seems like too much too soon. It's just not a natural progression. Yes, tons of people are still leaping on her bandwagon but at the same time I've already seen comments on Twitter and articles like the one linked below calling her overrated and overhyped. I can't think of another artist getting that kind of reaction before their album is even released. I think she's going sell well this year but I'm not sure it's going to translate into long term success.

Lana Del Rey: 2012's zero-talent star | Stuff.co.nz

As much as I rag on her for being fake, that's quite possibly the most poorly written article I've ever slogged through. How many 'probably's, 'maybe's, and 'I bet's were in that piece of vomit? And to equate Adele's legitimacy to the fact that she's not thin? That guy should probably work on his own craft before trashing someone else's.

And as far as her being on SNL, how many times have you seen someone on there that you had no idea who they were? I hardly think it's that big a deal that they're having her on. You're kidding yourself if you don't think a marketing team had a huge hand in getting every other musical guest on

Yeah, they had Jessie J on SNL last year, and she's never had a hit song in the States and is infinitely more well-known in the UK.

MAHum.gif

I stopped reading that article after saying he voted for Somebody I Used To Know. Idiot obviously only listens to mainstream radio and has somehow stumbled across Lana Del Ray and felt uncomfortable at listening to something outside the comfort zone.

I agree that he went over the top with the criticism. He also went over the top trashing Adele a few weeks ago (Someone like Adele | Stuff.co.nz) so maybe he just doesn't like young female singers.

But the reason I linked that article was not because I think he's right. It was as an example to show that negative articles are already starting to come out before the Lana Del Rey album is even released. Normally a performer actually becomes a star before they start to see a backlash.

But the reason I linked that article was not because I think he's right. It was as an example to show that negative articles are already starting to come out before the Lana Del Rey album is even released. Normally a performer actually becomes a star before they start to see a backlash.

There's nothing new in that article that hasn't been said 6 months ago (though I'm sure the writer thinks he's one of the Hardy Boys). Ever since she released that first single she's been getting the same treatment

I really like Video Games, Born to Die less so. I'll be curious to listen to her album when it comes out, though her voice sounds like it could somewhat grate over the stretch of an album unless she changes her singing styles a bit.

The best part of the article was the insinuation that there is no melody in "Vidja Games."

Looks like she's on the cover of the new/next issue of Q as well.

This album is going to have some ridiculous expectations. This sucker had better be nothing short of amazing.

Oh everyone's on the cover of Q, they have no standards whatsoever. That said, I don't mind the one Lana Del Rey song I've heard, while strongly doubting that anybody will be talking about her in twelve, let alone eighteen, months.

Point is they were built up as the next big thing based on a 4-track EP and a breakout festival performance and failed to deliver.

I don't mind a good one hit wonder. I was just pointing out that Lanaesque pre-first-album hype is not unprecedented.

Admittedly they didn't get on SNL or the cover of Q, but Lana is considerably hotter.

Funnily enough U2 are who's on the cover of the latest Q that I can see around here.

They're talking their usual bullshit. I get the sense they don't spend much time around each other, judging by the interviewer's many travels from city to city and suite to limo.

Back
Top Bottom