Lady GaGa General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_One1932

Acrobat
Not sure if this is off topic, but this seemed like the best place to post it.

Now, I'm not exactly enamored with Lady Gaga's music (i don't hate it, but i don't want to listen to it), but the more I see her as a celebrity, the more I get the feeling that she is the first post modern, purely pop star. She embraces spectable for the sake of spectacle, will wear just about anything, embraces sexual abiguity, and relies on a sound that is not anchored to anything other than the celebration of art for the sake of art.

...or, I could be crazy.

thoughts?

she's a continuation of Madonna and Kylie

i understand that arguement, but there doesn't seem to be anything remotely artistic about either kylie or madonna. its just throw away pop music. with the lady gaga thing, it seems like a warholian take on the pop queen.

This might get moved to the general music section.

But thank you for starting a Lady Gaga thread. I kept meaning to do it!

I like that she appears to be in control. She's weird and I love it. Is her music as "arty" as the performance she puts out there? Nah, it's pretty standard dance pop stuff. But I love it anyway. Although I will say that The Fame Monster overall has better songs than The Fame, which had a lot of filler. Hopefully she'll keep evolving her music and it'll be a little more out there.

I also love that she can actually, you know, sing and play piano. Check out her solo piano versions of her songs on YouTube, it's great.

If she ever runs headlon into a full-on public breakdown, I'm going to assume it's all part of her performance until she says otherwise.

GA GA OOH LA LA!

:corn: basically means "prepare to be flamed" :wink:

I think Madonna has done a lot artistically throughout her career. She's made a career out of amazing videos and being about image (and with great, catchy songs to boot!).

I cringe seeing comparisons between GaGa and Madonna already. Too many people are all "Oh, she's the new Madonna!" Let's not get carried away. Let's see what she does over the next few years before saying she's the next anybody.

Eh, madonna to me always seemed about finding a new way to market sex... just like britney and every other pop starlet since madonna, and that is where I think Lady Gaga is taking a very different direction. Obviously there are sexual references all throughout her music, but her whole take on celebrity seems to be asexual and rather entirely based upon how crazy/artsy/stylistic the pop star can be, rather than how sexy the pop star can be

and kylie only ever had one hit in the states, so I don't know much about her, but from what I have seen and heard, it looks a lot like another country's version of madonna. which is fine, but not exactly ground breaking.

look at adam lambert. his whole shtick is the male madonna so far.

there doesn't seem to be anything remotely artistic about either kylie or madonna. its just throw away pop music.

Throw-away pop music can also be art (see early The Beatles, Motown, The Beach Boys and yes, also Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Lady Gaga and Beyoncé).
:)

I truly do not believe that GaGa is capable of making an album as good as True Blue or Like A Prayer. Nor is she capable of challenging the niche she's found to the extent that Erotica or Ray Of Light did for Madonna. As soon as Bad Romance came out and I heard the blatant Poker Face re-write "mah mah mah mah" intro and those same slightly distorted synths, I knew she wasn't as daring artistically as she was toward her costume design. And that's the difference between the two, really. Madonna's image and music changed simultaneously, while GaGa likely will always sound the way she does today because her musical palette isn't as refined as Madonna's.

And that's where I think the Madonna comparisons get ridiculous. You're comparing one album and an EP to how many Madonna albums? It would be like saying "Listen to Borderline or Lucky Star - Madonna can't write anything nearly as good as insert-female-pop-star here."

GaGa has put out one and a half albums. I'm not ready to start saying "Oh, she can never match so-and-so's music."

A big difference between Madonna and Britney is control - Madonna (and from what I've seen so far, I'd say Lady GaGa) is the one calling the shots. Britney, as much as I love her, does not belong in this conversation.

I think it's incorrect to just dismiss Madonna as just being about sex.

It would be like saying "Listen to Borderline or Lucky Star - Madonna can't write anything nearly as good as insert-female-pop-star here."

Borderline and Lucky Star >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything Lady GaGa has released so far. :wink: But I don't mean to be disagreeable, I understand where you're coming from.

:madwife:

Lest anyone think I'm a crazy mad GaGa defender, I totally understand not liking her songs and thinking they're just mediocre pop songs. Right now, I definitely think her style and performance is more interesting than her music.

That being said, I completely love her songs. I just love that stuff. :drool:

I'm very curious to see what she'll do next. If, two or three albums from now, she's still putting out the same kind of dance music, then I'll probably think she's less interesting. But will probably still totally love her songs. :wink:

Not sure if this is off topic, but this seemed like the best place to post it.

Now, I'm not exactly enamored with Lady Gaga's music (i don't hate it, but i don't want to listen to it), but the more I see her as a celebrity, the more I get the feeling that she is the first post modern, purely pop star. She embraces spectable for the sake of spectacle, will wear just about anything, embraces sexual abiguity, and relies on a sound that is not anchored to anything other than the celebration of art for the sake of art.

...or, I could be crazy.

thoughts?

I don't know about this...but she embraces the whole "I'm a rock star for the sake of being a rock star"

I have connected alot of her music, especially the newer material from Monster, to ZOO T.V, now I don't feel so crazy knowing somebody else thinks along the same lines.

IDK, she's awesome...and I'm not even a fan of Pop music
56a146b4a02d4a49_27513PCN_LadyGaga.jpg

This might get moved to the general music section.

But thank you for starting a Lady Gaga thread. I kept meaning to do it!

I like that she appears to be in control. She's weird and I love it. Is her music as "arty" as the performance she puts out there? Nah, it's pretty standard dance pop stuff. But I love it anyway. Although I will say that The Fame Monster overall has better songs than The Fame, which had a lot of filler. Hopefully she'll keep evolving her music and it'll be a little more out there.

I also love that she can actually, you know, sing and play piano. Check out her solo piano versions of her songs on YouTube, it's great.

If she ever runs headlon into a full-on public breakdown, I'm going to assume it's all part of her performance until she says otherwise.

GA GA OOH LA LA!

Yeah, count me in with the Gaga lovers. I listened to that album on a long flight recently and it stacked up pretty good. Most of the tracks were pretty decent. In fact there wasn't much filler - it is a proper album. Granted, a concept album about nightclubs and paparazzi is always going to be a bit limited in lyrical originality.

Also she said something in an interview about taking your fear into a room and shooing it in the face. I have adopted that as a kind of mantra.

I don't think she's the first anything. Let's run through this:

Spectable for the sake of spectacle: Madonna (in the "pop" genre) has been doing this for decades. Beyond the "pop" genre people have being doing this even longer.
Will wear just about anything: You can find examples of this by singers across almost every genre.
Sexual ambiguity: Annie Lennox, anyone?
Doing things for the sake of art: Lady Gaga is by no means the first to do this, nor will she be the last.

I don't think she's the first anything. Let's run through this:

Spectable for the sake of spectacle: Madonna (in the "pop" genre) has been doing this for decades. Beyond the "pop" genre people have being doing this even longer.
Will wear just about anything: You can find examples of this by singers across almost every genre.
Sexual ambiguity: Annie Lennox, anyone?
Doing things for the sake of art: Lady Gaga is by no means the first to do this, nor will she be the last.

some of you seem to be missing the weirdly, almost warhol-ian nature of everything she is doing. I'm not comparing her to madonna (who never really appealed to me musically... not that gaga does), but if you look at everything gaga is doing, its extremely post modern, and to me, looks like a female pop star born from the aesthetic of ZooTV. If mr macphisto had baby, it'd be lady gaga. Watch the
Bad Romance video, there's even a scene straight outta macphistos routine w/the mirror.

Annie lenox... different type of sexual ambiguity.

I just get this interesting vibe from Lady Gaga. I mean, she even uses her name as chant lyric! How much more ZooTV can you get.

Regardless of whether or not she is the next madonna (again, stupid comparison for numerous reasons), it shows how ahead of their time U2 were, and still are, considering how many people don't get it still (the whole zoo tv thing)... and thats why I had this in the U2 area.

and again, you're somewhat right, people have been doing this stuff for ages, but not a purely pop star like lady gaga. its an interesting aesthetic to be catching on in the mainstream like this. I really don't think madonna can be compared here, because, well... she was all about sex and not much else. She's a cliche now.

some of you seem to be missing the weirdly, almost warhol-ian nature of everything she is doing. I'm not comparing her to madonna (who never really appealed to me musically... not that gaga does), but if you look at everything gaga is doing, its extremely post modern, and to me, looks like a female pop star born from the aesthetic of ZooTV. If mr macphisto had baby, it'd be lady gaga. Watch the
Bad Romance video, there's even a scene straight outta macphistos routine w/the mirror.

Everyone is a racist missing this except you!

well, there are a few people who have agreed with me so far, so that kinda kills your point. and why the racist comment?

My point is that it's not exactly a great tactic to dismiss people who disagree with you as "not getting it."

And the racist thing is a reference to ZooTV. "Everyone is a racist except you." It's one of the messages from The Fly.

the more I see her as a celebrity, the more I get the feeling that she is the first post modern, purely pop star. She embraces spectable for the sake of spectacle, will wear just about anything, embraces sexual abiguity, and relies on a sound that is not anchored to anything other than the celebration of art for the sake of art.

...or, I could be crazy.

thoughts?

David Bowie did all that eons ago.

and again, you're somewhat right, people have been doing this stuff for ages, but not a purely pop star like lady gaga. its an interesting aesthetic to be catching on in the mainstream like this. I really don't think madonna can be compared here, because, well... she was all about sex and not much else. She's a cliche now.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. If the vibe you are getting is one of spectacle and transformation for the sake of art then I have to disagree again. A pop star is such a tricky thing to define. I've heard the pop star tag thrown around to artists that wouldn't conform to pop music. One artist that meets the spectacle and transformation criteria and was covered on a program called Queens of British Pop is Siouxsie Sioux.

Siouxsie Sioux was a chameleon who would adapt to the material whether it be gothic and sinister or classical and melancholy. Between her heavy eyeliner or fetish clothing in the early years of the Banshees, she was creating a spectacle. You keep metioning Lady GaGa's similarity to ZooTV but no pop star has come as close to The Fly in mind as Siouxsie's persona did at times. Like The Fly, with Siouxsie, the audience was always seeing something artificial.

YouTube - Siouxsie And The Banshees/Robert Smith- Play At Home (HQ Video) 6/7

YouTube - Siouxsie And The Banshees - Face To Face - HD - Official Video

YouTube - Queens of Pop: Siouxsie Sioux

That she's already rehashing her songs with Bad Romance is not an encouraging sign IMO.

Heh. I think The Fame Monster is a step forward for her, compared to the first record. There seems to be a little more depth (and no, please don't ask me to define "depth").

Perspectives .... they're all different and junk!

Holy shit! Is that Vampire Eric from True Blood in the Paparazzi video? And she kills him. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom