Lady GaGa General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying lady gaga is original, i'm saying that her idea of fame and celebrity and the way she is going about it is everything zootv was about and that its really interesting to me.

as for siouxsiee... if I haven't heard of them, then they haven't made an impact on pop culture. I'm not saying she isn't potentially a smart, talented artist, but popularity dictates (generally) impact on pop culture.

I'm not saying lady gaga is original, i'm saying that her idea of fame and celebrity and the way she is going about it is everything zootv was about and that its really interesting to me.

as for siouxsiee... if I haven't heard of them, then they haven't made an impact on pop culture. I'm not saying she isn't potentially a smart, talented artist, but popularity dictates (generally) impact on pop culture.

Ok, there are so many things wrong with this post, I just don't even know where to begin...

First, Lady Gaga is great, and I love what she's doing. But, as several others have said, she owes a lot more to Madonna than to Zoo TV.

And, really? Is that going to be how you assess other people's discourses about this topic? That if you haven't heard of someone, they automatically don't matter? Ridiculous. Siouxsie and the Banshees were a hugely influential band. The Times called them "one of the most audacious and uncompromising musical adventurers of the post-punk era." Siouxsie herself has been named as an inspiration to:

Massive Attack
LCD Soundsystem
Jeff Buckley
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Win Butler (of Arcade Fire)
Shirley Manson (of Garbage)
PJ Harvey
Robert Smith (of The Cure)

...and, the real kicker: U2.

So, clearly, Siouxsie and the Banshees were insanely influential, regardless of their popularity (though they had two albums debut in the top 10 in the UK) or whether or not you have heard of her/her band.

How about that Velvet Underground band, the one with the old lady as lead singer? Half of their debut's first year sales wound up under their own families' Christmas trees. What impact could they have possibly had on pop culture?

How about that Velvet Underground band, the one with the old lady as lead singer? Half of their debut's first year sales wound up under their own families' Christmas trees. What impact could they have possibly had on pop culture?

Velvet Who?

Ok, there are so many things wrong with this post, I just don't even know where to begin...

And, really? Is that going to be how you assess other people's discourses about this topic? That if you haven't heard of someone, they automatically don't matter?

I don't think there's much use arguing. He wasn't even born when Siouxsie first came on the scene and had her initial impact. So he doesn't know better and I guess Zoo TV was the first time he ever saw something like that.

I don't think there's much use arguing. He wasn't even born when Siouxsie first came on the scene and had her initial impact. So he doesn't know better and I guess Zoo TV was the first time he ever saw something like that.

:shrug: Neither was I. I also was 3 when Zoo TV was U2's tour, so I don't really think age is an excuse for ignorance. I mean, that's like saying since I wasn't born when the Beatles were around, I can't recognize their musical impact, which is sort of silly.

Regardless, like I said, I still think Gaga has more to owe to Madonna than to U2. Sure, Gaga takes what Madonna was doing and exaggerates it even more, and there are some similarities to what Gaga is doing and what Zoo TV was about, but she's still far more in debt to Madonna than U2.

First, Lady Gaga is great, and I love what she's doing. But, as several others have said, she owes a lot more to Madonna than to Zoo TV.

Which is why I think TSP was right when she noted that this seems like one of those threads entered with the mindset that U2 did everything first and everyone's copying or inspired by them.

I just want to say that I do like Lady Gaga. It took me a while to say this because I was reluctant to admit I like pop/dance music. But she got me to admit it, so that must mean something.

As for her being an original, the only original about her are her outfits. That, or it's the first time in a long time someone in the mainstream is dressing as Lady Gaga does. Her music, on the other hand, is no different from the other pop/dance acts. And yes, I agree time will tell if she is a flash in the pan or something that is meaningful.

When Lady Gaga first appeared, I thought Lets Dance was a good song, nothing big, major, wonderful...but when Pokerface was out and the video, I fuking thought 'wowee!' I love the heavy image at the beginning of the vid!

and so many say she is trying to be like Kylie, Madonna, Gwen Stefani, and many others...... she MAY have been inspired, but so what?

I say she is fabulous now, (yea took me to get over her Glastonbury no pants moment thou! LOL). who else, apart from Grace Jones who did, wears outfits like her nowadays? odd fashion statement? yes. gets attention? yes. and her songs have now been blowing people away. Loved her X-Factor and Royal Variety Performance with the odd set-up and style so ya know what? I think Im starting to fuking digg the Gaga Lady :up::up::up: and now wish I had booked tickets as she is coming here next year......

Her music is clearly nothing more than generic top 40 crap, but what's so unique about the way she dresses? People like Grace Jones, Madonna, Karen O, Siouxsie Sioux, etc. have been dressing like idiots for years now.

4903096_Yeah-Yeah-Yeahs-01.jpg

karen_o-gal-vfestivalbest.jpg

christian-joy-headdress.jpg

LIV_071019SiouxsieSioux_007s.jpg

BA158CCD-D180-F394-B8F08F618C43581F.jpg

madonna30.jpg

15903297-15903299-large.jpg

keith-haring-grace-jones_.jpg

12344901-12344904-large.jpg

well... i think the fact that somebody thinks that a current popstar is the realization of u2's zootv is rather unbelievable, in that somebody who's aware that zootv was u2 mocking celebrity and being a rockstar... and thus then, if one is mocking something, then it obviously existed prior to the mocking... yea, i don't really know... but it's just, yea.

all i've got is this...

YouTube - Eric Cartman feat Kenny & Kyle- Poker Face

I'm a fan of Lady Gaga. I dont think theres any correlation btween her & ZooTV tho. It'd be interesting to hear her opinion on U2 tho. I've been following her since she 1st came out & I dont remember hearing her mention them as an influence or anything. But I think she'll be around for a bit. She is one of those rare ones thats a great performer & can actually sing well live too.

i get the impression i should be happy i have no idea who this person is.

seriously? :crack:

potential irony intended here, people.

When I first saw the video for "Paparazzi" I was instantly reminded of Helmut Newton's controversial 1995 Vogue photo shoot in which he posed a model in a leg brace and crutches. I have no idea why I remembered these photos from so long ago. Maybe because they were so shocking at the time or because they had the same visual impact as Lady Gaga's video does. Either way, the concept is definitely not new.

l_ba0bc524c7164f8c9799e2167e69fbcf.jpg

9455669c8ab4ba6eef9cf14b452a2a693e5.jpg

Much as I love the GaGa, I don't get why people are gushing about how original she is. She's clearly influenced by many things, including fashion (re: above photos - ps love those photos!).

That being said, I think what she's doing sets her apart from the current pop landscape. In that respect, I think she's very unique and even quite refreshing. "Original" is probably not the best word to be using.

*gosh, I hope there isn't a post somewhere that features me going on about how original she is. :reject: If there is, then this post stands as my clarification. ;)

I really like GaGa's music but I would not compare her with Madonna. Madonna was sexy...but Lady GaGa...? I assume that is a question which needs to be answered by the men?? :hmm:

Did you ever ask yourself where she was coming from??? I mean suddenly she was everywhere out of nowhere...pretty good...:up:

I really like GaGa's music but I would not compare her with Madonna. Madonna was sexy...but Lady GaGa...? I assume that is a question which needs to be answered by the men?? :hmm:

Did you ever ask yourself where she was coming from??? I mean suddenly she was everywhere out of nowhere...pretty good...:up:

thats because this doesnt get you quite as much attention as dressing like a retard

YouTube - Lady Gaga "Hollywood" live @ The Bitter End 1/20/06

I'm not questioning people who genuinely like her music, but to think shes not a phony bologna is ridiculous

Madonna picked up so much imagery from the past decades in Hollywood, plus took the zeitgeist of the post-disco'n'punk early 1980's, the rising of MTV and (real) musicvideos, associated herself to designers/stylists/photographers/directors/actors/mythic characters (and to some of NY's "cultural/artistic social cream" of the 80's/90's) and created a formula that won and that she still makes to obtain some juice.

Isn't this what Gaga has been making? Yes. The difference is that Gaga wants to become a fast trendsetter (that Madonna still is sometimes). The difference is that she's wasting "The Madonna formula" so fast, much faster than any other pop-princess of the last 10 years.
This is one of the main reasons why Britney Spears is irrelevant now (as I always predicted): because the Lolita stereotype doesn't work anymore, because the "Madonna juice" has dryed on her and because besides this and the "daughter-of-parents-who-wanted-to-be-artists Syndrome" she has never had any relevance. In 100 years, no one will remember she has ever existed.

Plus, Madonna became a cultural icon, not because of her hits, but: because she has played with the gender issue (using sex for it and letting the public believe that she was always selling sex) for 25 years; because she used and abused of certain imagetics in a very clever way.

Lady Gaga is no more than another product of the Madonna formula wasted neurotically fast mixed with loads and loads and loads of visual noise and lots of drama and pseudo-controversial tabloids (it's fashionable to be bissexual or to look androgynous and it sells a lot these days, and Gaga knows it very well). "Bad Romance" recent video is the best example of that: visual noise and the biggest number of ideas mixed in only one object.

Even the way she constructs her still-short career is too pasted to Madonna's early years... Just like Katy Perry or any other pop princess.

Musically... Yeah, she can compose and produce and she can make good pop hits that are catchy and that will be remembered on the next years (unlike most Hot 100 #1's of this decade because they were instant hits) but...
... none of this is innovative or refreshing. Some of Gaga's songs could've been written somewhere in the early 90's and performed by Snap, 2Unlimited, Ace Of Base or Corona (and this is not a compliment).
Unlike this, Madonna can be a poor singer and composer but she has in her catalogue some very interesting, refreshing and groundbreaking moments.

There's no "new Madonna" (as there's no "new Beatles" or "new Dylan") and no one has told Gaga this yet.

Lady Gaga wants to be the pop singer that is anti-pop.
Well, Bono has become The Fly (that character he invented to recreate and criticise some stereotypes... that he belongs to these days) and I'm not sure anyone has ever told him that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom