Kings of Leon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahhhh, my worlds colliding....

I love the show!

The judges obviously have to explain what they like about the dish...

Caleb just seems like the type of guy who would be like:

"Yeah...this sucks" *Takes a swing from the wine glass*

But that could actually be pretty hilarious.

kk.jpg

Oh Yeah, this Mofo is ready to go

I love the show!

The judges obviously have to explain what they like about the dish...

Caleb just seems like the type of guy who would be like:

"Yeah...this sucks" *Takes a swing from the wine glass*

But that could actually be pretty hilarious.

kk.jpg

Oh Yeah, this Mofo is ready to go

I know! My favourite judge is Ted from Queer Eye, I have this inexplicable fondness for him. And I sort of like the cranky older guy too.

Anyway, any idea when Caleb's episode will air?

I know! My favourite judge is Ted from Queer Eye, I have this inexplicable fondness for him. And I sort of like the cranky older guy too.

Anyway, any idea when Caleb's episode will air?

Sometime this Fall!

WHAT THE HELL WILL THE SECRET INGREDIENT BE?!?!?!?!
I hope it something crazy...like the Maple Syrup episode I just watched.

The Kinks' mistake was trying to be original. Oasis recognized that to be good, you need to ape your favorite bands.

And then tell the world that you're better than the originals! Yup, I loved them after that.

Anyway, let's free associate. Kinks, Ray Davies, Chrissie Hynde. I adore her. She's like my rock'n'roll female role model. I'd totally let Ray Davies knock me up and then marry Jim Kerr, and then appear on a U2 album as Mrs. Kerr. And then I'd peel duct tape off of all involved.

no one can hide the fact on here KOL are amazing and have proved this! i wuld say only u2 are a bigger band worldwide at the mo but KOL are right behind them. Here in Europe KOL are massive and i mean MASSIVE!

Live they just blew me away they were so good Caleb is so unique and brilliant.

no one can hide the fact on here KOL are amazing and have proved this! i wuld say only u2 are a bigger band worldwide at the mo but KOL are right behind them. Here in Europe KOL are massive and i mean MASSIVE!

Live they just blew me away they were so good Caleb is so unique and brilliant.

No one's trying to hide a non-existent fact, who cares how popular they are popularity does not equal talent or using that talent to write anything good

I'm not talking about it being hip to hate them around here, yeah a lot of U2 fans didn't care for them on Vertigo, so they were probably never liked on Interference, I'm talking in the larger world.

if kings of leon sold out by going from a more punky/grungy sound and evolving into a more polished, arena/rock type sound, then somebody please try to explain to me the evolution of U2.

once you take money for music you sell out... everyone's sold out. they're a great band and their maturity has evolved from album to album.

nobody thought htey were this big ubersellout before Use Somebody went huge.

They were pretty much universally hated around here last tour, weren't they? I can't remember reading much positive input about them.

I didn't see the leg they opened on, but I can't imagine that they were much worse than Dashboard Confessional or Institute (the former being just blandly awful, the latter being an assault to my ears). I remember listening to a few clips at the time, and they were way too southern rockish for my liking, but I actually find some of their newer songs catchy as hell.

i don't know about the other 2034823479035862934785694520490584 million people on here who went, but i know i hated them. never heard of them before that tour, was hoping i'd never hear of them again afterwards. sadly that wasn't the case because i can't turn on the radio (ordinarily, this wouldn't be a problem, but my ipod transmitter broke last week and i haven't had a chance to replace it) now without hearing at least one of three songs. however, i almost like all three of those songs. or, perhaps i would if i didn't hear, kind of like, and then get sick of all in the span of one friggin week. good job, radio. you suck.

if kings of leon sold out by going from a more punky/grungy sound and evolving into a more polished, arena/rock type sound, then somebody please try to explain to me the evolution of U2.

once you take money for music you sell out... everyone's sold out. they're a great band and their maturity has evolved from album to album.

nobody thought htey were this big ubersellout before Use Somebody went huge.

Everyone sells out by "making it" unless you're Radiohead.

Have you forgotten everything we've taught you? One summer and you're gonna have to start all over.

Welcome back :wave:

once you take money for music you sell out

Wrong. Asking to get paid for your art is not necessarily admirable, but it's a necessity. I hate the term "sellout", but when you spend the entirety of your early career building yourself up as a lo-fi southern rock band and then suddenly take an inexplicable 180 towards chimey arena rock once you realize how much people like U2, I'm not sure what else to call it.

And Use Somebody would be a shitty, derivative song regardless of how well it sold. The Fray would be proud.

. . . but when you spend the entirety of your early career building yourself up as a lo-fi southern rock band and then suddenly take an inexplicable 180 towards chimey arena rock once you realize how much people like U2, I'm not sure what else to call it.

I wouldn't agree with this at all LM. They started out lo-fi, like many bands who don't know how to use studio tricks and wizardry, and then each album since has progressed with more nuances and production values.

Now, if you don't like their music, that's one thing, and entirely within your right. But I wouldn't write their entire career off as "sell out" based on one song off Only By The Night. Granted, I think 'Use Somebody' is the worst song off that album, but within their catalogue, Only By The Night completely flows for them as a valid, next progressive step.

I don't see anything wrong with taking a 180 turn towards chimey arena rock. We all hate Use Somebody, but hell, can you blame them for trading in being always small and popular only with the indie crowd or whatever, when they can please themselves and so many more by altering their sound, which nearly every single band before or since has done?

i for one love Use Somebody and will not let the fact that snotty trust fund kids think it's cool to like them now because they like the song get in the way of the fact that it's a great tune, and the second i heard it i said it was the song that would finally make them huge in the States, and it has.

Day Old Blue would fit perfectly on Only By The Night... and it was from their second album when they were still cool because they weren't cool.

what i find amazing is that they weren't sell outs when they gave Molly's Chambers to Volkswagon to use in a commercial, but they are sell outs because they wrote a song so good that they've managed to reach a much broader audience.

people who think they've made a "180" in their song writing obviously haven't paid any attention to their previous albums. there is not much difference in style between Because of the Times and Only by the Night other than the fact that Use Somebody has become a mainstream hit and On Call never did.

i wish i was older when U2 "changed" to see if the same sell out chat went on there.

what i find amazing is that they weren't sell outs when they gave Molly's Chambers to Volkswagon to use in a commercial, but they are sell outs because they wrote a song so good that they've managed to reach a much broader audience.

The very same thing didn't damage Nick Drake or Wilco's legacy, did it? Nah, no harm in it. Plus, we weren't bombarded day and night with that commercial the way we are with Use Somebody.

people who think they've made a "180" in their song writing obviously haven't paid any attention to their previous albums. there is not much difference in style between Because of the Times and Only by the Night other than the fact that Use Somebody has become a mainstream hit and On Call never did.

That's because the change didn't occur between Because Of The Times and Only By The Night, it occurred between Aha Shake Heartbreak (pre-Vertigo tour) and Because Of The Times (post-Vertigo tour). It's one thing to rip off your idols from the start, we're all entitled to that, but to change your sound midstream, and then write a song that couldn't sound more like top 40 alternative (lulz) drivel is another thing entirely. If a band this so willing to sell records that they'll change their entire sound to do so, what differentiates them from Phil Collins Genesis, 80s Chicago, or reunited Aerosmith?

i wish i was older when U2 "changed" to see if the same sell out chat went on there.

This comparison would have worked had U2 forsaken their sound on War to pursue hair metal and power ballads on TUF and Joshua Tree. It would have been dead on, actually.

YouTube - Jetta commercial
I remember being shocked hearing Molly's Chambers on T.V LOL

I agree with alot of what you said, I 2 wish I was able to witness the fans reaction to Achtung...but I think U2's change was a bit more dramatic than Kings of Leons slow but steady progression

Back
Top Bottom