Kanye West - The Life of Pablo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fuck a musket, I'm going to download the hell out of this album.

Unknown_zpsynvih8vu.jpg

Hrmmm, Queen B's new album hasn't shown up in Tidal yet, as far as I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

WE ON A ULTRALIGHT BEAM
WE ON A ULTRALIGHT BEAM
THlS IS A GOD DREAM
THIS IS A GOD DREAM
THIS IS EVERYTHAAAAAAAANG

What I'd like to know is has Ultra Light Beam convinced LemonMelon that he's been wrong about Chance the Rapper?

He still sounds like a small child with a speech impediment when he raps but that was a nice verse

I don't give a damn if Kanye's a jerk, or if he's annoying, or if he's ruining twitter, or deliberately stirring shit up or whatever the fuck, as long as he can continue being so entertaining in every way, and continue to make such great albums. There has never been and will never be another person just like him and we should be grateful for that and enjoy the ride while it lasts. But if people must be a dick about him, go forth, because it'll just give him more material to work with.

30 Hours, Father Stretch my Hands 1&2 (especially 1, who would have thought a 2 minute cutup track with a throwaway line about bleached assholes in the middle of it could be so sublime), No More Parties, FML and Real Friends the standouts for me so far.

I just don't care. I listen to Mark Kozelek, Ariel Pink, all sorts of assholes. I've listened to Phil Spector, Burzum and Charles Manson records. You know, actual murderers. The only reason that Kanye's Twitter bullshit holds any interest to me is that it's so inextricably linked with the recording process this time around. It's very difficult to tune everything out as a fan and wait.

But I really don't care that Kanye is a dick. I didn't care in 2006, I didn't care in 2009 and I don't care now. If his behavior prevents you from enjoying his music, I feel for you. The music is still really good. But it's your life.

Last edited:
I don't care he's an asshat, but, as he is an asshat, I also don't feel like he should be defended for being an asshat. No amount of great music would make him less of an asshat.
Not that you are defending him for being an asshat.

His behavior is definitely that of an asshat, and I don't think that behaving like an asshat makes him a better artist. To me, that's nonsense.

But I do look at this from a more sympathetic perspective. Frankly, I don't think he's doing well psychologically. Even setting aside the twitter rants and lines like "I've been out of my mind a long time," "name a genius that ain't crazy," and the references to being prescribed lexapro, there is anecdotal evidence from people around him that suggest as much.

First, you've got a long-time collaborator quitting the sessions and claiming that Kanye "needs help, in the form of counseling":

Kanye West Cowriter Rhymefest Quits, Says Rapper Needs Spiritual, Mental Help - Us Weekly

Then there's really disconcerting stories like this from just last weekend:

Kanye West Reportedly Had a "Meltdown" Backstage Before His 'Saturday Night Live' Performance | Complex

“He freaked out about how the set was arranged. He was saying he’s ‘the greatest artist.’ He’s having regular meltdowns. Everyone’s walking on eggshells around him. He’s under a lot of stress between the new album and the fashion line.”

I feel a combination of revulsion, amusement and pity for Kanye these days. That doesn't impact my enjoyment of the music, but I do find it troubling on a personal level. This is an artist that has meant a lot to me and added much to my life and I am somewhat concerned that he might hurt himself or someone else if he's not thinking straight. It's sad.

On the other hand, I don't know the guy. All I can base my feelings on is what I'm reading, but it hasn't been good lately. He's got a family and a lot of people that care about him, so I think he'll get the help he needs, if he needs it.

Last edited:
Not sure if serious

It's an exageration, of course, but I think it holds pretty well. Happy may have been the wrong adjective, but I think good art generally comes from a place of anguish/anxiety that compel artists to express themselves in a different way.

The other possibility with Kanye, which no one ever seems to consider, is all this bullshit he pulls is carefully orchestrated to garner attention. And it never fails. People take the bait every fucking time.

I've said it (and written it here, afair) for years that he's suffering from mental illness. I don't celebrate in his swings, nor condemn him. It's just who he is. On a fellow human level I hope he makes it through.

The other possibility with Kanye, which no one ever seems to consider, is all this bullshit he pulls is carefully orchestrated to garner attention. And it never fails. People take the bait every fucking time.

That's what i think. I don't think he's exaggerating, even if he really is depressed or whatever he may be.

I don't give a damn if Kanye's a jerk, or if he's annoying, or if he's ruining twitter, or deliberately stirring shit up or whatever the fuck, as long as he can continue being so entertaining in every way, and continue to make such great albums. There has never been and will never be another person just like him and we should be grateful for that and enjoy the ride while it lasts. But if people must be a dick about him, go forth, because it'll just give him more material to work with.

30 Hours, Father Stretch my Hands 1&2 (especially 1, who would have thought a 2 minute cutup track with a throwaway line about bleached assholes in the middle of it could be so sublime), No More Parties, FML and Real Friends the standouts for me so far.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom