Kanye West discussion - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #401
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,493
Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Kanye West defies critics and wears controversial Confederate Flag jacket to boxing class | Mail Online

Jesus christ this guy is such a fucking idiot sometimes. I love his music but there really is something wrong with his head.
Why is this so bad? He's hardly the first person to "reclaim" something that's been used against people in a negative way. What about all the women who posted pictures holding signs with the words their rapists said to them?

Also I'm interested to know... what's your take on how Kanye plays All of the Lights on tour? I'm not sure if he's still doing it on this one but when I saw him last year he kept stopping the song after "MJ gone / our nigga dead" because he wanted the predominately white crowd to scream the "our nigga dead" line as loud as possible.
__________________

cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #402
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,901
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

Why is this so bad? He's hardly the first person to "reclaim" something that's been used against people in a negative way. What about all the women who posted pictures holding signs with the words their rapists said to them?

Also I'm interested to know... what's your take on how Kanye plays All of the Lights on tour? I'm not sure if he's still doing it on this one but when I saw him last year he kept stopping the song after "MJ gone / our nigga dead" because he wanted the predominately white crowd to scream the "our nigga dead" line as loud as possible.
I think it's a load of bullshit, and cringe at stupid white people who do this, even if that includes you too. I also think he has serious mental issues.

Sorry, you asked
__________________

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #403
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,493
Local Time: 03:10 PM
I most certainly joined in. We've had a similar discussion before, and can't agree, so I'll drop it.

What about the confederate jacket? And what are the "serious mental issues"? To me he just seems to be an obsessive and an extreme narcissist. I can think of many more serious mental issues.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #404
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,901
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I most certainly joined in. We've had a similar discussion before, and can't agree, so I'll drop it.

What about the confederate jacket? And what are the "serious mental issues"? To me he just seems to be an obsessive and an extreme narcissist. I can think of many more serious mental issues.
What about it? I'm hardly the only person who isn't amused that he's wearing it and using similar imagery in his tour merchandise.

What's the point here exactly? You don't get it? Ok great. Like you said, you were dropping it.
gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #405
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,493
Local Time: 03:10 PM
That's totally understandable, and I understand the history and why it would rile people up, but as I said he's not the first person to "reclaim" something negative, and that's what he's quoted as saying in the DM article. It and the merch fit in with some of the album's themes too - Black Skinhead, New Slaves.

I was dropping the "white people singing the word nigga" argument.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #406
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,493
Local Time: 03:10 PM
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #407
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,901
Local Time: 01:10 AM
gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #408
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Imperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 9,045
Local Time: 11:10 PM
Uh huh, henny.
Imperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #409
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,493
Local Time: 03:10 PM
Ok man. I don't think I came in with an attacking or sarcastic or baiting tone, I just like having discussions, and am always open I changing my opinion.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #410
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Imperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 9,045
Local Time: 11:10 PM
That was the hardest I've laughed at the music choice in a video about animals since this:

Imperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #411
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,493
Local Time: 03:10 PM
I can't believe it's only got 36 views. And 30 of those are mine.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #412
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Imperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 9,045
Local Time: 11:10 PM
l MEAN DAMN WHAT WOULD FOGHORNY HORNY HORNY HORN THINK?
Imperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #413
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,642
Local Time: 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
I'm hardly the only person who isn't amused that he's wearing it and using similar imagery in his tour merchandise.
That's not much of an argument for Kanye having "serious mental issues."

Kanye does have some loose screws and I see both sides of the argument on this, but I won't be buying tour merchandise because a) I'm broke and b) I don't want to look like I just came back from a Guns N Roses gig.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #414
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,668
Local Time: 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
l MEAN DAMN WHAT WOULD FOGHORNY HORNY HORNY HORN THINK?


I say--I say--Imma let you finish
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #415
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,493
Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
l MEAN DAMN WHAT WOULD FOGHORNY HORNY HORNY HORN THINK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I say--I say--Imma let you finish
Very very good. I was trying to think of a joke myself but I think it's best if I just leave my contribution to the video.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #416
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,901
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

That's not much of an argument for Kanye having "serious mental issues."
.
Great, but that's not what I said. The question was "what about the jacket". I was responding to that when I said "what about it" and then followed with the sentence you cherry picked.
gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #417
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,865
Local Time: 10:10 PM
Your argument seems to be that because of a publicity stunt, he's clearly messed up in the head.

Lady Gaga, on the other hand, is apparently a friggin' genius when she pulls shit like this.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #418
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,901
Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Your argument seems to be that because of a publicity stunt, he's clearly messed up in the head.
Right. One publicity stunt. Ftr, I've pretty much said that he has some serious issues from day one, my interest in/like of alot of his music notwithstanding.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Lady Gaga, on the other hand, is apparently a friggin' genius when she pulls shit like this.
I'm guessing you have the linkback handy where I state this?
gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #419
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,493
Local Time: 03:10 PM
She was speaking generally. I would honestly like to hear your opinion on my questions, why you find the Confederate thing so offensive, why you think he has "serious mental issues" (and what they are). Not attacking you at all.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #420
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,901
Local Time: 01:10 AM
You need someone to explain why various words and images are deeply offensive to people?
__________________

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kanye west

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×