Kanye West - 808's & Heartbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't really like how Kanye is releasing another album when he had already released Graduation last year.

Regardless, I hope it will be hit.

I don't really like how Kanye is releasing another album when he had already released Graduation last year.

Regardless, I hope it will be hit.

Why? It's okay for artists to follow up soon after another one hits, especially if it's a creative period.

It's a stellar album and an interesting departure from his usual stuff. I'm really loving it so far.

I'm starting a four-album Kanye marathon. No idea why, considering 808s is going to stick out like a sore thumb, but it's still fun.

I've only heard "Love Lockdown" so far, and I'm really not digging it. It's a shame because I love basically everything he's done. Is the rest of the album better?

I've only heard "Love Lockdown" so far, and I'm really not digging it. It's a shame because I love basically everything he's done. Is the rest of the album better?

In a word, no. Paranoid and Heartless are better, but Love Lockdown is in the top 5, probably.

It's easily his worst album, but still worth a few listens.

Yeah, I'm funny like that. I like my rappers to, oh, I don't know, rap.

I honestly wouldn't care if he could actually sing.

This album needs a few verses, actually. There's a lot of dead air that the beats are too repetitive to properly fill. None of the tracks really take off like they should.

Seems like people here like the album more than the critics, who have been savaging it.

I haven't observed this at all.

pictureza3.jpg

That's about a 7/10 average.

I haven't observed this at all.

pictureza3.jpg

That's about a 7/10 average.

I was reading allmusic's review, which is two stars. Plus the NY Times, which is unfavorable, and also Boston Globe's, which isn't on that list, also didn't like it.

Perhaps I just read the wrong three.

Curious to see what Popmatters and Pitchfork (although I hate them) have to say.

I was reading allmusic's review, which is two stars. Plus the NY Times, which is unfavorable, and also Boston Globe's, which isn't on that list, also didn't like it.

Perhaps I just read the wrong three.

Curious to see what Popmatters and Pitchfork (although I hate them) have to say.

Yeah, the first review I read was the AMG review (one of their most poorly-written, not because they bash the album, but because it's shallow), but there are some A's and 5 star reviews to balance it out.

Pitchfork will probably give it something in the 7 range. They love Kanye.

Listening through all four of his albums today, here's some revised grades:

College Dropout: B+
Some of his very best tracks, but wildly incoherent.

Late Registration: A
A masterpiece with epic musical scope and few clunkers.

Graduation: B+
Intriguing new musical influences translate to some intoxicating samples, but rehashed lyrical themes bring it down.

808s & Heartbreak: B
The Plastic Ono Band of hip-hop. Thin, underwritten melodies and a limited musical scope become something more when taken at once. His most coherent and surprising album, though not his best.

Listening through all four of his albums today, here's some revised grades:

College Dropout: B+
Some of his very best tracks, but wildly incoherent.

Late Registration: A
A masterpiece with epic musical scope and few clunkers.

Graduation: B+
Intriguing new musical influences translate to some intoxicating samples, but rehashed lyrical themes bring it down.

808s & Heartbreak: B
The Plastic Ono Band of hip-hop. Thin, underwritten melodies and a limited musical scope become something more when taken at once. His most coherent and surprising album, though not his best.

Which album has "Flashing Lights?"

That's your best album.

Lil Wayne is the most overrated rapper in the industry, and I say this knowing that absolutely no one whose opinion I care about thinks highly of him.

I just don't like this record. I'm very sad to say so, but it's true. That's two duds in a row, in my eyes. Here's hoping that Good-Ass Job actually gets released, some day...

Back
Top Bottom